• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Intake review-bigmoneycloser

Started by bigmoneycloser, November 25, 2014, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Congrats, guys!  Hopee you enjoy the CAI even more than expected, and don't forget the pix!!!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Larry... No problems with driving in a torrential (1"/hr) downpour here... Plus I haven't had soot in my exhaust tips in 2 weeks.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ZSHO

I guess based on your analysis regarding the impovment in reduction of black soot on the tailpipes makes the theory more credible,so guessing there is less exhaust gasses going into the intake so the temp's come down and there is less soot,lower intake temps=more dense air/oxygen=better performance,less soot in the intake.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

91hybrid

I have really been struggling to understand how soot would go down with any intake. This caused me to start reading about gdi and soot production.  I found a pretty decent artical that talks about soot generation, causes, variables and future solutions and regulations.

http://www.swri.org/3pubs/ttoday/Summer11/PDFs/ParticleEmissions.pdf

Egr is used to lower cylinder temperatures by the introduction of inert gas (non combustible). Our cars do this not by injecting egr gasses in the intake, but by manipulation of cam timing. Since only our intake cams are variable, unlike our f150 brothers our egr "capacity" is a little more limited. But we still get reversion through the exhaust port to the intake stroke.

All that being said, can someone explain how a cold air intake alters the variables that produces soot or alters the already functioning egr activities of the variable cam timing?
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
non meth 13.11@103.6 (knock limited)
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

FoMoCoSHO

As My E85 blend goes up, the soot disappears also. I have no idea what would cause an intake to change it.

navbtcret

I can confirm that the soot is gone from my pipes too. I clean them on a regular basis and since I install this intake I have not gotten any build up. I have put over 2000 miles on the car too since then, filling up at various different gas stations and brands of fuel. Not sure why it happened with this intake but I know that it has.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

SHOdded

Maybe removing the pulses caused by the accordion?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 29, 2014, 01:17:24 PM
As My E85 blend goes up, the soot disappears also. I have no idea what would cause an intake to change it.

Neither do I.  Earlier testing on my car showed no dyno difference between stock intake and filter and with filter disconnected at the accordion leaving an open hole... (3 separate comparisons using BTB pulls)... Therefore I don't really believe there's more air getting in, but it is possible, I suppose, that in moving the O2 sensor from the turbulent OEM box to the smooth pipe on the MDesign CAI the resultant airflow may be causing the sensor to send a different signal to the ECM... I cannot explain it, but continue to see essentially no tailpipe sooting...interestingly the very slight bit I've noticed (and I mean almost nothing) is in the right tailpipe tip.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

WickedSHO

Two questions:
First, does the tab on the side of the MAP sensor needto be below the gromet on the Charge Pipe? I can't remember how stock was or even when I had it on the K&N.
SEcond, what postions should the MAP sensor be in?

So far I love the look of the MDesign intake, performance wise, hard to tell...It snowed and has been extremely cold here in Chicago since I got it. Was -2 this morning.  Only draw back so far, is the whooos sound that I got with the K&N is gone.
2014 SHO Ignot Silver. MDesign CF Intake, 3 BAR MAP, 160 T-Stat, LMS 93 OCT V8 tune.

TSS

^^ I just ordered an MDesign and sold my K&N to a member - I hope I don't miss the sound too much. LOL.  .  I just like the look of the Mdesign so much, that swayed me. 

The reduction in soot would be nice, though I did not get much at all witrh the K&N either....

For Anybody considering this, Ahmed (MDesign) has really quick responses to direct inquiries. I like that - a lot.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

BiGMaC

Quote from: WickedSHO on January 05, 2015, 10:47:46 AM
Two questions:
First, does the tab on the side of the MAP sensor needto be below the gromet on the Charge Pipe? I can't remember how stock was or even when I had it on the K&N.
SEcond, what postions should the MAP sensor be in?

So far I love the look of the MDesign intake, performance wise, hard to tell...It snowed and has been extremely cold here in Chicago since I got it. Was -2 this morning.  Only draw back so far, is the whooos sound that I got with the K&N is gone.

The sensor on the intake pipe (the one that was on the OEM airbox) should be at about 7:00, fully inserted (the O-ring slot will be inside the CF tube...I took my O-ring off so it would not have a chance of ingestion by the turbos), and the sensor should be oriented so the widest part is in line with the tube (sensor it self is the bluish thing surrounded by the nylon) to expose the sensor maximally.

Don't need to touch the MAP or the TIP.

WickedSHO

That is the sensor I was talking about the one on the charge pipe. So don't use the o-ring that came with the kit?
If the o-ring slot should be inside the CF pipe, I don't think I put mine is all the way!  :(
2014 SHO Ignot Silver. MDesign CF Intake, 3 BAR MAP, 160 T-Stat, LMS 93 OCT V8 tune.

BiGMaC

Quote from: WickedSHO on January 05, 2015, 11:54:52 AM
That is the sensor I was talking about the one on the charge pipe. So don't use the o-ring that came with the kit?
If the o-ring slot should be inside the CF pipe, I don't think I put mine is all the way!  :(

Sorry... Thought you were talking about the turbo intakes, not the hotpipes aka charge pipes... On my car the MAP has only one screw... put it in the same orientation as the OEM.

I had to free up about 1.5" of the sensor wire from the wiring harness to get the slack to seat the sensor to my satisfaction...of course, use the grommet that comes with the CAI kit to hold the sensor. 

My CAI did not come with an O-ring ... My 3BAR MAP had one on it....use it to prevent boost leak.

WickedSHO

I think I confused myself and maybe you...Sorry.

I am talking about the sensor that is attached to the CAI....I think you gave me the answer I need with your first repsonse.

Sorry about that....

MDesign Performance

Ok I'm here to clear some things up!

Use the supplied o-ring to replace the OEM blue o-ring as it is not thick enough and the new one will provide a better seal, you should insert the sensor  fully into the grommet to where the o-ring is not showing. Refer to the pic below for position and there is a link to the install guide as well.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=4043.0

2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance