• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Intake review-bigmoneycloser

Started by bigmoneycloser, November 25, 2014, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peppelepugh

2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

SHOdded

Thoughts on a bigger inline filter?  Helpful in extending the gains, or no?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Quote from: Spartn27 on December 02, 2014, 11:22:45 AM
Quote from: SHOnUup on December 02, 2014, 11:16:29 AM
What were the results with the dual intake with separate piping? Did I miss that?

Rich

It was a couple months back, the whole intake system was replaced with custom aluminum piping for each turbo separately though the IAT results weren't any better than other aftermarket intakes. This was most likely due to the aluminum piping as plastic has better thermal properties.
IAT temps aside, the even airflow to both turbos sounds like a winner to me. From my understanding the rear turbo gets alot better air than the front with Ford's crazy saxophone setup. Is there a prototype of the dual intake still around?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ZSHO

Spartn any way to install a prefilter to cut down maintenance,only a suggestion,cause have one on my Airaid and still looks new after a year.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOdded on December 02, 2014, 11:53:42 AM
Thoughts on a bigger inline filter?  Helpful in extending the gains, or no?

Many options have been considered though after almost a year of real world testing and reworking the intake I believe due to the design of the filter that air flow is not a problem nor a bottleneck with the current filter.

Quote from: SHOnUup on December 02, 2014, 12:02:09 PMIAT temps aside, the even airflow to both turbos sounds like a winner to me. From my understanding the rear turbo gets alot better air than the front with Ford's crazy saxophone setup. Is there a prototype of the dual intake still around?

Rich

Unfortunately no. These were my initial thoughts though after real world testing the gains were not there over the OEM intake, I also noticed some people had similar results with the Hennessey intake (similar design). The piping also was not equal as the front turbo piping was shorter, that is the reason for Ford's design where it appears that they are unequal though they are not. Furthermore the design of the current intake takes away as little as possible from the OEM look/function, where as previous designs replaced most parts and did not look as "clean"/original, which I believe is also a important aspect.

The saxophone setup is actually designed as both engine dampening (the engine torques when driving) and to have pockets/grooves acting as vacuum ports, so there is a reason why the engineers chose to design the system as they did.

Quote from: ZSHO on December 02, 2014, 01:23:14 PM
Spartn any way to install a prefilter to cut down maintenance,only a suggestion,cause have one on my Airaid and still looks new after a year.

I currently have 30,000 miles on the same filter and it has never been cleaned, it was removed not too long ago and still looked remarkably well therefore I believe with a good maintenance interval (K&N recommends 50,000 miles) you will be all set. Personally I would recommended cleaning it once a year as it is pretty simple to do and easy maintenance. Here are a couple cleaning guides:

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

http://www.aemintakes.com/air_filter_cleaning_instructions.htm
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOnUup

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

rjdkanak

Just got mine yesterday, installed today. Haven't had a chance to drive with it yet, but so far very impressed! Install coming from KN hot air intake was super easy. Thanks Spartn27!!
2012 SHO PP 93 Torrie Tune Snow Stage 1 W/M 170tstat SP534's Resonator Delete Dynomax Axle Back MDesign Carbon CAI

SHOdded

Looks great, hope you will enjoy increased performance as well :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

All my posts had nothing to say but positive results in regards to the intake,just wanted to clarify regarding the carbon fibre battery cover,any progression in that area yet,and if so keep me updated on a package deal for both,thanks Z.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MDesign Performance

Quote from: rjdkanak on December 05, 2014, 09:55:26 AM
Just got mine yesterday, installed today. Haven't had a chance to drive with it yet, but so far very impressed! Install coming from KN hot air intake was super easy. Thanks Spartn27!!

Glad you enjoy it!

Quote from: ZSHO on December 05, 2014, 10:48:25 AM
All my posts had nothing to say but positive results in regards to the intake,just wanted to clarify regarding the carbon fibre battery cover,any progression in that area yet,and if so keep me updated on a package deal for both,thanks Z.

Currently I am tied up with exams and getting the next batch of intakes ready for shipping next week though I do plan on doing a limited run of carbon fiber engine covers/battery covers, most likely end of December or early January if time permits Members who have purchased a intake will get priority ordering if they choose to get either.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

SHO-TYM

Quote from: Spartn27 on December 05, 2014, 11:16:50 AM
Quote from: rjdkanak on December 05, 2014, 09:55:26 AM

Glad you enjoy it!

Quote from: ZSHO on December 05, 2014, 10:48:25 AM

Currently I am tied up with exams and getting the next batch of intakes ready for shipping next week though I do plan on doing a limited run of carbon fiber engine covers/battery covers, most likely end of December or early January if time permits Members who have purchased a intake will get priority ordering if they choose to get either.

Can't wait to get mine.... gonna look good in Road & Track! :)
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP, Livernois Motorsports Windstorm Intake, LME Stage 4+X Meth Tune, 160* thermostat, new motorcraft plugs gapped at .028. 3 Bar Map Sensor, LMS non-catted down pipes, Corsa Catback System, ALKY Methanol Injection, LED Puddle Lights, and (ATP upgraded turbos on the way)
Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25497/this-is-what-a-550-hp-ford-taurus-sho-looks-like/

peppelepugh

2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

navbtcret

I have had mine on for a week now and really love the look under the hood. I will not get a chance to see if I get any gains until spring when the track opens, I am not a dyno guy. Hopefully I will see the better part of a tenth faster.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

MDesign Performance

Quote from: navbtcret on December 05, 2014, 04:32:56 PM
I have had mine on for a week now and really love the look under the hood. I will not get a chance to see if I get any gains until spring when the track opens, I am not a dyno guy. Hopefully I will see the better part of a tenth faster.

You could always drive down south until you find a open track!

navbtcret

Quote from: Spartn27 on December 05, 2014, 05:02:01 PM
Quote from: navbtcret on December 05, 2014, 04:32:56 PM

You could always drive down south until you find a open track!

I am patient and will wait until spring. I have winter tires on it now and will not be going back to the regular tires until April.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes