• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Intake review-bigmoneycloser

Started by bigmoneycloser, November 25, 2014, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gad

10 SHO, torrie tune, whatermeth , DP catless, H&R spring, t-stat 170, air raid intake, best time 12.19@110 mph.(1.74 0-60ft)

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: gad on November 28, 2014, 10:14:45 PM
Or buy this cold air?
What is your question?
Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

gad

10 SHO, torrie tune, whatermeth , DP catless, H&R spring, t-stat 170, air raid intake, best time 12.19@110 mph.(1.74 0-60ft)

bigmoneycloser

ok
here are the dyno stats. Shop was having issues with their software and had to get Mustang involved in order to get the before and after.

Air Raid intake:
MDesign Intake:

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

bigmoneycloser

Hope this helps everyone.

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

SHOdded

The gains are there!  Would like to see graphs through the rev range when they can get them to you, though.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bigmoneycloser

Unfortunately,
The shop had a major software issue and lost all their files. Because mine were the last runs done they were able to recover these. I will ask him if he is able to get the graphs as well, but I think this was the only files they were able to recover.
Let me know if you have any other questions?

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

MDesign Performance

One thing we can tell from the info we did recover (along with 10.4 whp & 16.2 wtq gains) is that while the horsepower curve stayed relatively close the torque power is coming on at 2600RPM vs. 5100RPM, which is all the power you can feel down low due to the restriction-free, linear design of the intake.

Plan is to have more intakes out there in the wild before the year end, that way we can get more testing done with the help of other members.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

J-Will

Since the dyno had software issues, can we trust the numbers?  The torque number seems very odd, over +20 actual (~16 seen at the wheels) with a significant difference in RPM.  This is a a massive gain from 'only an intake'.  Even considering what I stated before with symbiotic exhaust mods, the gains still seem high.  I want to believe, but the skeptical side of me makes me question the shop's software failure. 
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

MDesign Performance

Quote from: J-Will on December 02, 2014, 11:02:30 AM
Since the dyno had software issues, can we trust the numbers?  The torque number seems very odd, over +20 actual (~16 seen at the wheels) with a significant difference in RPM.  This is a a massive gain from 'only an intake'.  Even considering what I stated before with symbiotic exhaust mods, the gains still seem high.  I want to believe, but the skeptical side of me makes me question the shop's software failure.

Considering the mods BMC has done to his vehicle and the design of the intake, the gains seem on the upper end of the scale but correct. There was a issue with opening the files not the creation of the files and the shop has been working with Mustang over the last couple days to resolve this, so no worries. The fact that our vehicles are turbocharged also benefits us much more when using a properly designed intake over a NA engine, due to the help of our twins.

This intake has had 5 redesigns, from dual complete piping to each turbo with dual filters to added intake scoops to bring in fresh air, and has been in development for over 7 months. In short, a lot of thought went into the design of the intake such as the flow path and dynamics of the air flow, and keeping temperatures down to OEM levels as well.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: Spartn27 on December 02, 2014, 11:09:36 AM
Quote from: J-Will on December 02, 2014, 11:02:30 AM

Considering the mods BMC has done to his vehicle and the design of the intake, the gains seem on the upper end of the scale but correct. There was a issue with opening the files not the creation of the files and the shop has been working with Mustang over the last couple days to resolve this, so no worries. The fact that our vehicles are turbocharged also benefits us much more when using a properly designed intake over a NA engine, due to the help of our twins.

This intake has had 5 redesigns, from dual complete piping to each turbo with dual filters to added intake scoops to bring in fresh air, and has been in development for over 7 months. In short, a lot of thought went into the design of the intake such as the flow path and dynamics of the air flow, and keeping temperatures down to OEM levels as well.

^^ correct..

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

J-Will

I am satisfied, just wanted to pose the question.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SHOnUup

What were the results with the dual intake with separate piping? Did I miss that?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

bigmoneycloser

Also just want to make sure everyone knows I am just a customer here. I have no interest in MDesign as a company. I am just a happy customer trying to report back as much info back to everyone as possible.

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOnUup on December 02, 2014, 11:16:29 AM
What were the results with the dual intake with separate piping? Did I miss that?

Rich

It was a couple months back, the whole intake system was replaced with custom aluminum piping for each turbo separately though the IAT results weren't any better than other aftermarket intakes. This was most likely due to the aluminum piping as plastic has better thermal properties.