• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Intake review-bigmoneycloser

Started by bigmoneycloser, November 25, 2014, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

All I can say is I am shocked... But it 100% pulls harder.
I can feel it. The few days before the dyno I paid extra attention to how the truck performs... So after, I would have an idea of the "Seat" difference..
And so far no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

bigmoneycloser

Oh
Did I mention I have an air raid for sale? lol
Cheap.

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

jmr061

I would probably pull the trigger but I need to find an uninformed person to buy my air raid first :). It's collecting dust.

Jason
www.fordpimods.com
Jason
16 Edge Sport

CroR1

How much for those airaid intakes fellas?

bigmoneycloser

I haven't given it much thought.
But $150 plus shipping.??
PM me

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

jmr061

I can't beat that.

Jason
www.fordpimods.com
Jason
16 Edge Sport

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

jmr061

I was just doing some checking and there are different part numbers for the airaid for the taurus versus the explorer (both with the ecoboost). I was hoping I could included the explorer group to find mine a new home but guess not.

Jason
www.fordpimods.com
Jason
16 Edge Sport

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: jmr061 on November 27, 2014, 11:35:40 PM
I was just doing some checking and there are different part numbers for the airaid for the taurus versus the explorer (both with the ecoboost). I was hoping I could included the explorer group to find mine a new home but guess not.

Jason
www.fordpimods.com

Hmm
When I called LMS they said it was same part number..

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

MDesign Performance

They should be the same part, the MDesign intake BMC has installed is the same one I have installed on my MKS and another member has installed on his Taurus SHO, so it's safe to say the mounting points are all identical.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

J-Will

For the sake of consistency, the dyno should have been performed the same way for each intake.  However, I think that because of the positioning of the scoop, the impact on the intake itself was negligible.  The only thing that would have changed is heat dissipation around the engine itself.  My thought is that for one pull, this did not impact the results either.  If this was the 3rd pull, in a serious of back to backs, then I'd argue otherwise.  I like what I see here!

I think a stock car is still needed in order to provide a better picture.  The gain here could be attributed to two things:
We know that the Air Raid is worse than stock, so some of the gain seen with this intake could be simply bringing the power level back up to stock then on top of that some from improved efficiency.  15 is a lot!  But I think some of that is a testament to the previous intake's (poor) performance.
Breathing mods compliment each other.  BigMoney had exhale mods already done.  In my mind, helping the car breathe in will certainly compound gains from exhaust mods as well.

Anyway, I would certainly chalk this up as a win for MDesign.   My expectation was "0 gain over stock is a win, anything less is on par with current aftermarket offerings".  The only question is: what are the gains over stock?  I think it is clear that there are some, we just dont have a quantitative figure to show. 
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

J-Will

bigmoney, thanks for stepping up and testing the intake!

spartn, thanks for investing the time and money in building a new offering.  On top of that, thanks for building one that actually performs well and looks great!
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

bigmoneycloser

Quote from: J-Will on November 28, 2014, 08:59:57 AM
bigmoney, thanks for stepping up and testing the intake!

spartn, thanks for investing the time and money in building a new offering.  On top of that, thanks for building one that actually performs well and looks great!

Totally agree.
Looks alone are worth it.
I do think the DP's and catback help which is nice to know they compliment each other.
Hopefully someone fully stock could run a dyno just to see what happens...

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

CroR1

About 2 months ago I ended up picking up a k&n drop in filter. I may just stick with a stock box and possibly use the heat wrap around the box. Either way, I'll wait until spring to see what direction I'm going with.

navbtcret

Mine arrived today, 20 minutes later it is on the car. Thank you Ahmed for a great looking CAI and I am hoping you will do a run of the engine cover. I would love one to match the intake.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes