• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Intake review-bigmoneycloser

Started by bigmoneycloser, November 25, 2014, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

Ok
2014 XSport

LMS 93 performance V3 Tune with 3Bar
LMS catted downpipes
LMS catback Corsa exhaust
*170 TStat
Pregapped plugs
Air Raid Intake

Dyno runs done on a Mustang dyno
(Not sure if model matters to anyone)

Air raid pull 1:

Air raid pull 2:

Dyno pulls with MDesign Intake

MDesign pull 1:

MDesign pull 2:

I also did a 0-100mph pull on parkway and it pulls really strong and feels smooth...

And tons of ear candy for those who love it..
When on the gas you can hear the turbo spool and the intake sucking air in. But when you left off the gas you her a strong "whooshing" sound.(almost sounds like it's behind me)

So far overall extremely happy with look and function.

I will post dyno graphs tomorrow and you can all see for yourselves..

Everything fits nicely. This is money well spent!

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

91hybrid

Two questions?

1. Did your air raid have the seal mods done to it?

2. Any thoughts on why running the airaid hood closed verses the mdesign hood open?
2014 SHO -PP, Unleashed Tuned, 3bar, Devils Own 100% meth, PPE catted down pipes, 3rd cat delete, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, 170 deg, NGK 7's plugs, hot pipes - White Platinum 401a
418 whp - 513 wlb/ft
non meth 13.11@103.6 (knock limited)
Meth pass 11.991@114.28

bigmoneycloser

The air raid was installed exactly as sold to me. With the trim ring around the top to deal with the hood closed.
Air raid run with hood closed to keep it sealed.
MDesign intake doesn't need hood closed to keep it sealed.
And we ran the dyno after intake was installed on it.

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

bigmoneycloser

Air raid

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

SHOdded

I expected gains, but not 15 hp, that's really cool.  Combined with the IAT2's that Spartn was reporting, pretty believable.  Must be doing a great job of insulating the intake air through the rev range.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pejohnson

The gasket is installed backwards. The crown in the molding should roll towards the engine bay not towards the air filter. Reason being as the air is sucked in, you want the blade to be pulled up and seal against the hood.

13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

pejohnson

I'm confused, where are the dyno sheets to confirm 15 hp increase?  Is it another post?

Quote from: SHOdded on November 25, 2014, 10:41:34 PM
I expected gains, but not 15 hp, that's really cool.  Combined with the IAT2's that Spartn was reporting, pretty believable.  Must be doing a great job of insulating the intake air through the rev range.

13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

bigmoneycloser

The air raid intake will never be installed again... So it's not important anymore.
So far the MDesign intake is in a league of its own as far as looks and function..

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

bigmoneycloser

I should have them tomorrow. I couldn't get to the shop to pick up yesterday. And they were having issues with software and busy with the holiday.
Graphs will be posted ASAP.

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

pejohnson

Ok understood. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the updates.

SHOnUup

Quote from: pejohnson on November 27, 2014, 03:22:20 PM
The gasket is installed backwards. The crown in the molding should roll towards the engine bay not towards the air filter. Reason being as the air is sucked in, you want the blade to be pulled up and seal against the hood.

Don't think the blade matters with the explorer because it had like an inch gap there. No touch of the hood.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

jmr061

Both Tests should have both been done with the hood closed. Engine heat gets trapped in the engine compartment with it closed.  I am not saying that it makes a difference as we don't know but when you test a product the only variable that should change is the product.

Jason
www.fordpimods.com
Jason
16 Edge Sport

bigmoneycloser

Well
I knew I couldn't make everyone happy.
So once I post the graphs. Each can make their own mind up and spend their own money to test it their way.
And I would bet that having the hood open would never make a 15 HP difference.. Lol

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

jmr061

I didn't say that it will make the HP different. I said we won't know as the tests were not done the same. There is an unknown variable in the mix now. For all we know having the hood closed during testing for the new one could have made it more efficient. We just don't know. What I do know...almost anything is better than the air raid lol

Jason
www.fordpimods.com
Jason
16 Edge Sport

SHOnUup

Definitely agree the airaid was a complete disappointment. Maybe a better comparison would be against the stock box.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.