• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

May I have your opinions please? FWD or AFT

Started by Tomc612, November 23, 2014, 08:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomc612

I'm having a hard time deciding where I want to place the hood vent's..I'm thinking FWD would be nice because I feel alot of heat there..and easier to maneuver my Dremel tool..Lol. These vents I got off Ebay.. Focus RS MK2 style ABS plastic bonnet vent's..after seeing the 2010 H&R Taurus with the vents, I wanted that look for my car.

pejohnson

I would mount them closer to the windshield vs the front bumper.  I think the SHO hood is fairly long, hence if it were me I would personally probably look at the mustang hood vents.  They are longer and match the flow of the hood. 

Good luck!  I can't wait to see the final outcome.  Are you going to paint them to match or leave black?  I would think it will help with engine temperatures. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=2012+ford+mustang&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS612US612&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=1091&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NgJyVLjOCoefNtKkgvgG&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=2013+ford+mustang+hood+vents&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=a4PxkCmEwJRyAM%253A%3BS0fY7Y7ZLcgxuM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bigwormgraphix.net%252Fimages%252Fmustang%252F2013-blue-cf-hood-vents-lrg.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.svtperformance.com%252Fforums%252Fshowthread.php%253F887289-Awesome-Hood-Vents%3B900%3B600
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

SHOnUup

Nothing better than an exterior mod that adds to the look and aids in performance  (keeping her cool).

Personally, I like the look of it more forward, but would probably be more effective towards the back.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

I'm with these folks :)  Looks - forward, effectiveness - aft.  I suppose you could run an IR thermal gauge across the hood after the engine has had time to heat soak to figure out the warmest/hottest area, and centralize your vents around there.  As far as weather, not sure in which position rain/snow etc. would be less of a factor.

Hope bpd chimes in soon!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

IHeartGroceries

I'm not exactly sure what your goals are here, but I encourage you to be a little more scientific in your design, rather than just basing your work off of aesthetics.

What I mean is, the modern engine bay isn't just an empty area where the engine sits. There's some engineering that went into its design. A sealed engine compartment is designed in such a way that it always maintains a low pressure, so that the high pressure which builds in front of the car while the vehicle is in motion, is drawn in, as opposed to just moved over the front of the fascia and over the car. Haphazardly adding vents may disturb the designed pressure differential and create an adverse effect.

Additionally, factoring in aerodynamics, there may be more or less air flow potential forward on the hood, compared to rearward.

Just a few thoughts...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

CroR1

I say towards the back. The style vents that you have are meant to ex txt the hot air out, so by bringing the cold air in from the front and under the car, the hot air will be forced out. Plus it looks so much better. Now, if you had the scoops that would bring the cold air in, then the front of the hood will work better. Either way, I like these vents, and wouldn't mind doing this if the vents had a panel where to could close the opening during rain or winter days. I have a similar design on my other car and I love it, I have rubber inserts that I can remove during summer, but I be warned that the engine bay will have so much more dust and won't be as shiny as it is now.

Larrylu

Hot air rises and the highest part of the hood is in the back. For exhausting trapped hot air the back should work better IMO.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Tomc612

I noticed just by removing that weather seal at the aft of the hood.. I can see the heat coming out..Thanks for your opinions guys..I think I'm more for the looks and believe the fwd will look and work Great..I will update soon..

SHOdded

FWD will def make the hood look like it's smiling!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Larrylu

Quote from: Tomc612 on November 24, 2014, 11:24:53 PM
I noticed just by removing that weather seal at the aft of the hood.. I can see the heat coming out..Thanks for your opinions guys..I think I'm more for the looks and believe the fwd will look and work Great..I will update soon..

Tom I've had my rear hood seal out since mid summer. I've found no ill effects so far. No water infiltration but between the seal and the insulated engine lid that I also removed at the same time, I've noticed a nice temp drop in my IAT2.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

panther427

im more fond of the way it looks on the rear of the hood.
2013 SHO

SHOnUup

Some non scientific data...

Notice the melt

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

SHOnUup

SHOnUup

This was after about 7 minutes warm up time...1.5 mile roundtrip...say 2 minutes in the store...

Rich