• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake

Started by MDesign Performance, October 27, 2014, 03:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOnUup on October 29, 2014, 10:27:07 AM
IAT2?

Rich

I'll check that once I redo the tests though as of now I am seeing 2-3 degrees below ambient at cruise.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

ZSHO

The best looking CAI piece i have ever seen,know if the the performance gains can be proven with combination of appearance,you have yourself one heck of a CAI,another note for us with existing airaid CAI,is it feasable in any way to modify the Airaid box and install yours inside the box,only a suggestion to help with heat suppresion.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MDesign Performance

Quote from: ZSHO on October 29, 2014, 10:51:46 AM
The best looking CAI piece i have ever seen,know if the the performance gains can be proven with combination of appearance,you have yourself one heck of a CAI,another note for us with existing airaid CAI,is it feasable in any way to modify the Airaid box and install yours inside the box,only a suggestion to help with heat suppresion.

Thank you for the kind words! This intake completely eliminates any air from the engine bay so the box wouldn't really do much besides take up room in the engine bay. The simplicity of the kit is that the whole intake can be swamped out by removing 3 screws and unplugging the MAP sensor, should you want to go back to stock or have more room to work in the engine bay.

Also this creates room up front for a possible methanol container that can be easily accessed.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

glock-coma

Or a spot for a catch can....Mmmmm
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOnUup

Maybe room for dual CAI's,  one for each turbo. ...

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

irondoor19

AS I AM now looking to dump the K&N, this would be my 3RD CAI, Look & simplicity is Fantastic,
A tad hesitant, without some Power Results...otherwise if it proves out I AM IN....
looks like a winner... ;D
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

CroR1

do you have any better pictures of this intake, I only see a one short pipe with filter. where is the scoop,  where does it hook up (underneath the car?) that brings fresh air. I possibly would be interested in buying it, pending more details and real world data.

MDesign Performance

The scoop is under the intake, I apologize for the lack of pics I'm waiting on some hardware to come in though wanted to get the interest out there as i already have a couple committed members. The post will be updated with pics as soon as possible.

As for performance, after a 30 min spirited rive on the highway I pulled up to a light and snapped the following pic:

It seems to be a consistent 1-2 degrees below ambient, which I'm happy with. It also might improve even more..

SHOdded

The engine must be wondering "What the h***?  This can't be happening!"
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shotime99

similar to the BMC filter systems?
2014 Taurus SHO w/PP and H & R spring kit

ElvenSho

Looks good might have to pick one up once we get power results. Does it make the turbo louder? I want some turbo spool :)
2011 Red Taurus SHO- H&R springs, plugs, t-stat, 3bar, LMS dps, tuned by Torrie

MDesign Performance

I tried twin air filters, two different designs, it wasn't effective. it does increase the sound due to the shorter, more direct design. You can definitely hear it sucking in air.

Went for a late night drive to the post office for some things, pulled up to a light after a nice drive and had solid IAT's.

Larrylu

Can I ask what IAT_DF represents and where the sensor is located. I found and use a PID for IAT which is the sensor just after the CAI and I have a custom PID for IAT2 which is on top of the intake manifold and my final air temp measurement. I also have an ambient and I don't know where that sensor is located. Last but not least I have a custom PID for CAC and the sensor for that is located after the intercooler and before the throttle body.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ZSHO

First of all to achieve any significant gains in a CAI and the induction kits air filter is enclosed in a box or like Spartn,with a cold air feed than more power can be obtained avoiding hot air,Carbon fibre boxes or protection  are known for their heat shielding and durability,so far its a win in my book,could be a potential buyer.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MDesign Performance

I'm using a SCT X4 so I'm limited to my info, almost 99.9% positive that the IAT_DF is the MAP sensor after the intake. I don't have any Window's based laptops in the house (all MacBooks) so I'm unaware of any other way to data log unfortunately at the moment.

For Larry, the ambient sensor which issued for outside air temperatures is located in the front near the metal front bumper rail.