• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbo leak-----Nope---New PTU

Started by SoCalSHO, March 13, 2014, 12:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

is there a how to change the PTU oil, and a reccomended replacement oil ? Is it worth doing at home, or take tot he dealer ? I'm at 24k miles.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SwampRat

Quote from: 68_GT on March 15, 2014, 01:11:35 PM
is there a how to change the PTU oil, and a reccomended replacement oil ? Is it worth doing at home, or take tot he dealer ? I'm at 24k miles.

That is the problem . No OEM recommendations on this at all .
There is a post about installing a drain plug on the forum somewhere .
I need to find it , otherwise it needs to be siphoned out .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SwampRat

Quote from: SHOdded on March 15, 2014, 01:58:09 PM
Are you referring to the writeup by the_natrix on the Edge forum?  http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10914-ptu-leak-failures/#entry89270

I think crash got his info from there. .... good stuff though.

It looks like the 2013+ PTU has a drain plug , I'll have to check...

Quote from: crash712us on July 19, 2013, 01:10:44 PM
Here is 1st-sho's post from the other forum thread#15
http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/forum/ecoboost-taurus-sho-mks-forum/ecoboost-sho-mks-general-discussion/1292-transmission-ptu-modification.

I also believe I can rig I PTU cooler for as well. However for straight line drag racing it my not be entirely necessary. With a brief engagement.

I found this pick a while ago for how to add I drain plug to PTU, I figure with that and the fill plug up top and a rear dif cooler system. You'd have a cooled PTU.
But I think a 2013 pp PTU retro fit is entirely do able. Just a lot of $$$$'s

2021 Edge ST

Night Hawk

I think that between 25k and 30k between changes is a good number. I go to the track 2 to 3 times a season and during the times Ive changed it, by 30k its blackened right out.  More than that it turns into a thick grey paste.  My first two changes I vacuumed the old stuff out.  Now with closer intervals I use a manual gear oil pump and "flush out" the dark fluid until it runs clear.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

SHOdded

Quote from: crash712us on July 19, 2013, 01:10:44 PM
Here is 1st-sho's post from the other forum thread#15
http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/forum/ecoboost-taurus-sho-mks-forum/ecoboost-sho-mks-general-discussion/1292-transmission-ptu-modification
Corrected link to the other forum.

We do need to verify what updates over the 2010-12 model PTU's the 13+ might have.  If they have a drain plug, great, and if they have aux cooling, icing on the cake.  If someone knows for sure, please post up supportive images/documentation.  TIA.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SwampRat

Interesting find on PTU on Police  interceptor version and some middle eastern PTU's that are WATER Cooled :

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9334

Post subject: Re: Changed PTU Gear Oil Today

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 am 

Waldo's Photos

From what I've heard, the PTU lube is an all or nothing type of thing. It might last the lifetime of the vehicle, but if it goes overtemp just once, it's junk.

Now the statement in the MKX manual is likely targeted to the Middle East crowd, they do a lot of sand driving over there. In fact the Explorer sold in the Middle East has a water cooled PTU. But if you look up the Police Interceptor OG, it describes how the Police cars actually have an "active" monitor that basically looks for overtemp conditions and if it sees them, it puts a notice to change the PTU oil in the message center.
My limited experience has been that in normal on-road driving, you're never going to overtemp the fluid, thus a lifetime fill is reasonable. But anyone towing on hills (especially twisty hills), going to a race track or doing a lot of aggressive off-road or snow driving could get to the point where the fluid needs to be changed.

2021 Edge ST

bpd1151

2013+ PP pkg SHO's do have the auxiliary water cooled PTU.

Lots of work to retrofit from what I understand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SwampRat

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 16, 2014, 12:55:15 AM
2013+ PP pkg SHO's do have the auxiliary water cooled PTU.

Lots of work to retrofit from what I understand.

Yea ... But would it be worth it ? . Any idea if the  13+ PP has a drain plug or the if the non PP 13+ has one ?

2021 Edge ST

bpd1151

I don't know on the drain plug,  but i do recall somewhere, a person having posted an image of what appeared to be a drain plug, located in/on the housing assembly of the PTU.

I saw the image, & it did appear factory.

Non PP SHO's, for 2013+ do not have the auxiliary coolers.

I.E. Auxiliary Oil, Trans, & I stand corrected......

I misspoke...... the auxiliary cooler goes to the rear diff IIRC, not the PTU as I previously advised.

I'm at work at the moment & don't have the ability to double check schematics.

Perhaps someone else can chime in, in the interim.