• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 SHO not shifting properly.

Started by sunwolf, October 21, 2014, 12:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunwolf

This is the second time I have mentioned this problem. My 2014 SHO with LMS tune will sometimes fail to shift and just run up into the red. It happens only at WOT and usually in S but sometimes in D. Just now I attempted to run a 0-60 and had it run up to 6700 RPM in 1st gear in S. I know in the older cars S is full manual mode however in the 14's it is supposed to shift itself and in my case it does 90% of the time. I have had this problem with both my '93v8 perf' and '93v8 perf TS 3bar' tunes but never on the stock tune. Is there any datalogging I can do for LMS to help them fix this problem? Has anyone else run into this issue? Also does anyone think those couple of 6700 RPM spikes could have effected the engine life?
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

SHOdded

Seems to early in the life, but could be a leaky wastegate, PCM tries to compensate by raising RPM.  I thought you could monitor various parameters using the MyCal even if you can't "datalog".  Best to ask LMS for help.

A couple of spikes shouldn't damage engine life at all.  Are you running a known, good 93?  Rich pointed out earlier about winter gas having arrived.  Did the problem start happening around the Sept-Oct timeframe?  Might want to try octane booster of some sort (e.g., Torco) on the next fillup, see if it helps.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sunwolf

I have had this problem since I got my tune back in late august/early September with 4000 miles on the car. I use sams club gas which I have heard is the same as BP. As far as octane booster should I use actual octane booster or is a gallon of e85 going to be better?
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

ZSHO

Quote from: sunwolf on October 21, 2014, 12:55:16 PM
I have had this problem since I got my tune back in late august/early September with 4000 miles on the car. I use sams club gas which I have heard is the same as BP. As far as octane booster should I use actual octane booster or is a gallon of e85 going to be better?
Do not use octane booster,could damge your 02 sensors or even cat's,only a select few would help,or a good F.I cleaner like BBK or chevron cleaner.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

I had the same problem last winter with the hesitation at wot,due to the winter blend gas we all mention decreases the performance in our cars,LMS emailed me a 93CW TUNE for the winter only,the cold weather tune did help with the hesitation and then switched to the 93V8,3BAR-170,DP,tune and and car seems to run top notch.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sunwolf

Quote from: ZSHO on October 21, 2014, 01:21:34 PM
I had the same problem last winter with the hesitation at wot,due to the winter blend gas we all mention decreases the performance in our cars,LMS emailed me a 93CW TUNE for the winter only,the cold weather tune did help with the hesitation and then switched to the 93V8,3BAR-170,DP,tune and and car seems to run top notch.
There is no hesitation, it shoots up just over 6000 rpm, disengages to shift into the next gear, then instead of shifting it just bounces off the rev limiter until I take m foot off the gas. I could hold my foot down for ten seconds (not that I would ever let it go that long) and it would be like the car is in neutral bouncing off 6700 RPM with the tach needle red. It isn't until I take my foot off the gas that it revs down to about 3000 RPM and SLAMS into the next gear. I was having this problem in late august/early September also which I think was before winter gas. I will try to get it on video some time.
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

ZSHO

Quote from: sunwolf on October 21, 2014, 01:32:02 PM
I Apologize a little biThere is no hesitation, it shoots up just over 6000 rpm, disengages to shift into the next gear, then instead of shifting it just bounces off the rev limiter until I take m foot off the gas. I could hold my foot down for ten seconds (not that I would ever let it go that long) and it would be like the car is in neutral bouncing off 6700 RPM with the tach needle red. It isn't until I take my foot off the gas that it revs down to about 3000 RPM and SLAMS into the next gear. I was having this problem in late august/early September also which I think was before winter gas. I will try to get it on video some time.
The plugs are they gapped correctly at 0.30.

glock-coma

Have you tried going back to stock to see of the problem is still present?   
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOnUup

Reminds me of speed control sensor in the trans. Would echo the sentiments above on contacting Livernois ASAP.

Rich
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

sunwolf

Quote from: ZSHO on October 21, 2014, 01:50:55 PM
I Apologize a little biThere is no hesitation, it shoots up just over 6000 rpm, disengages to shift into the next gear, then instead of shifting it just bounces off the rev limiter until I take m foot off the gas. I could hold my foot down for ten seconds (not that I would ever let it go that long) and it would be like the car is in neutral bouncing off 6700 RPM with the tach needle red. It isn't until I take my foot off the gas that it revs down to about 3000 RPM and SLAMS into the next gear. I was having this problem in late august/early September also which I think was before winter gas. I will try to get it on video some time.
Plugs are stock.
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

ZSHO

Please if you have some time and remove one spark plug and see whats the gap on it,if its stock probably would be between 0.32-0.37,they always recommend installing new plugs gapped at 0.30 when you have a tune,avoid predetonation,misfires,honestly would just install some new SP-534 and they usually come pregapped at 0.30 and use some dielectric grease on the boots liberally and should take you about one hour.

ZSHO

Quote from: sunwolf on October 21, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on October 21, 2014, 01:50:55 PM
Plugs are stock.
HOW;S YOUR MPG AT THE MOMENT?

sunwolf

My MPG is about 18-19 but it ranges from 16 to 22 depending on how I'm driving that day.
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L

ZSHO

Quote from: sunwolf on October 21, 2014, 07:06:26 PM
My MPG is about 18-19 but it ranges from 16 to 22 depending on how I'm driving that day.
Thats pretty good,keep us updated concerning the plugs,0.30.

SHOnUup

Wasn't there a TSB on something like this...car going into coast mode or something along those lines.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.