• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Winter blend gas and E/85

Started by SHOnUup, October 12, 2014, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

I don't know for sure on this car but with my GTP fuel trims were calculated based on tables for expected airflow readings among other variables. That car was MAF based and the Taurus is MAP but the principle is the same. We would have to tweak the tables to get the values back to zero. That was important on the GTP because the car would use one of the long term trim cells at WOT and if it was negative it would subtract fuel. Thankfully the Taurus has a wideband to measure the air fuel ratio so the car just adjusts the trims as it needs to...no real reason on this car to have them at zero that I can see. Unless you go beyond what the car can correct for and/or the fuel pumps can keep up with...then bad things can happen. Again though without knowing how all the tables interact and if the tuners are changing any of them I can't be sure. That said I don't worry about trims unless they are waaay out there. I will be interested to see how the guys running ethanol mixes do in really cold weather. The air is denser and requires more fuel...as long as the pump keeps up I guess we are good!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

SHOnUup

I'm running the slight mix (16-18%) in 34* - 38* in the morning here. No significant changes in the LTFT, AFR, or FRP...yet. Car is running smoother and pulls harder than it has since we purchased. Quite impressed with what this small dose has done. KR readings are near impossible to come by. An occasional lift reading of .8 or 1 that I still haven't visually caught.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ecoboostsho

I am definitely going to have to at least try this. I'm impressed with your results. I just wish I didn't have to go to two different gas stations to fill up. I can only get 93 at BP and the stations In use don't have E85.

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

SHOnUup

Quote from: ecoboostsho on October 25, 2014, 08:59:11 AM
I am definitely going to have to at least try this. I'm impressed with your results. I just wish I didn't have to go to two different gas stations to fill up. I can only get 93 at BP and the stations In use don't have E85.

I searched around my area and found a BP that supplies both. It is 10 miles away, but I use it as an excuse to go for a cruise now.

Remember to ask the manager at BP, or at least the one who orders the fuel (they seem to be way more informative ) if they are a "branded" fuel supplier. If not branded their fuel can be very inconsistent allowing them to purchase from multiple sources.

2 gallon mix I've been using makes the calculation real easy. Each 1/4 tank is a half gallon of e/85.

Rich
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ecoboostsho

Thanks. I will have to keep my eyes peeled!

SHOnUup

Quote from: ecoboostsho on October 25, 2014, 10:50:05 AM
Thanks. I will have to keep my eyes peeled!

My wife googled BP station with e/85...as I to was on the look out...maybe my frustrating texts to her after pulling into many BP's helped this along^-^

Rich

SHOdded

Anyone try this to see how accurate it is?  http://www.e85locator.net/E85locations.html

Another site, looking specifically at Minneapolis,
http://www.altfuelprices.com/stations/E85/Minnesota/Minneapolis/

Map from the link on page above:
http://www.altfuelprices.com/station_map.php
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

IHeartGroceries

I can tell you all how supply and distribution works. I am an operator at a distribution terminal which supplies Shell gasoline.
And using MSDS for quality control is ridiculous. At the least you need what's called a C of A, or certificate of analysis. But even that is potentially useless. Using a C of A to gauge the quality of ethanol in your gas tank would be like using the nutrition information on the side of a cereal box as results for blood work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on October 25, 2014, 11:31:02 AM
I can tell you all how supply and distribution works. I am an operator at a distribution terminal which supplies Shell gasoline.
And using MSDS for quality control is ridiculous. At the least you need what's called a C of A, or certificate of analysis. But even that is potentially useless. Using a C of A to gauge the quality of ethanol in your gas tank would be like using the nutrition information on the side of a cereal box as results for blood work.

Well, that was helpful.....

instead if telling us how ridiculous we are, why don't you tell us why these things aren't accurate in calculating our blends.

Furthermore, Speedways msds sheets have been spot on at least with regard to quantity.

As far as quality, who knows, all I know is the car loves ot stock or otherwise.

IHeartGroceries

I gave up offering my two cents! It was going ignored, as it always does on Web forums, because more often than not people get their feelings hurt when they learn gas is gas.

I work in supply and distribution. My insight beyond those areas is far more limited. I'm no chemical engineer.

I haven't paid close attention to how you are calculating your blends.
How does an MSDS provide any insight as to how to mix your blends?

2013 SHO PP

SHOnUup

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on October 25, 2014, 12:38:48 PM
I gave up offering my two cents! It was going ignored, as it always does on Web forums, because more of then than not people get their feelings hurt when they learn gas is gas.

We love info here. Regardless if it falls in line with our assumptions or info we already have.

Ignoring was not the case as I eagerly await the suggested info you could provide still.

Any light shedding on the "branded" label as the guy stated it requires more testing and not just filling up from the cheapest distributor at the time and calling it so n so's gas.

Rich

FoMoCoSHO

I gave up offering my two cents! It was going ignored, as it always does on Web forums, because more often than not people get their feelings hurt when they learn gas is gas.

I work in supply and distribution. My insight beyond those areas is far more limited. I'm no chemical engineer.

It clearly states the ratio of E to straight gas for both summer and winter blends.

For Speedway the state 85/15 for summer and 75/15 for winter.

FoMoCoSHO

Yup, I'd love some insight as I have used nothing but Shell for years.

I will say that I quit having fuel injection issues with all of my vehicles since I did. (Others swear the same)

My DSMs wouldn't worth a s*** on BP gas in the early 90's

IHeartGroceries

But that is a static figure, isn't it? Or are you just referring to a time table for their blend periods?

2013 SHO PP

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on October 25, 2014, 12:56:09 PM
But that is a static figure, isn't it? Or are you just referring to a time table for their blend periods?

Correct, and it also doesn't tell me when the switch happens specifically, just the summer and winter designation.

Usually the only way I can tell is when my fuel trims drop.