• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Winter blend gas and E/85

Started by SHOnUup, October 12, 2014, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Quote from: wasinger3000 on October 16, 2014, 12:14:31 PM
Now it's almost time to start mixing e98 in the tank while spraying meth. Should be interesting.
Do you think you will need a boost limiter?  LOL!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

So a 2011 should be fine with a slight mix (2 gallons) of e85? Also what do you busy consider top tier e85? My car sees either Exxon Mobile 93 Octane or Shell 93 Octane religiously and none of these stations carry e85.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOdded on October 16, 2014, 02:54:02 PM
Now it's almost time to start mixing e98 in the tank while spraying meth. Should be interesting.
Haha nah I have a built in one. They call it a claustrophobic connecting rod. Lol.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Spartn27 on October 16, 2014, 03:07:08 PM
So a 2011 should be fine with a slight mix (2 gallons) of e85? Also what do you busy consider top tier e85? My car sees either Exxon Mobile 93 Octane or Shell 93 Octane religiously and none of these stations carry e85.
I use Shell for 93 and Speedway for E.

Shell is top tier, unsure about Exxon.

SHOdded

Exxon is def top tier.  http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html  But all retailer facilities will not be equal.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Josephm

I try to only use shell as well
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Airbornemaikai

Quote from: Spartn27 on October 16, 2014, 03:07:08 PM

A lot of stations actually get their gas from the top tier stations anyway. You can usually find out by calling or checking their website
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

SHOnUup

Quote from: wasinger3000 on October 16, 2014, 03:22:28 PM
Haha nah I have a built in one. They call it a claustrophobic connecting rod. Lol.
Just caught that...lol...very clever

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOnUup on October 16, 2014, 11:50:40 PM
Quote from: wasinger3000 on October 16, 2014, 03:22:28 PM
Just caught that...lol...very clever

Rich
Hah, Sometimes I think i over do it.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SHOnUup on October 15, 2014, 02:50:22 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on October 15, 2014, 02:44:30 PM
Great to hear!  That would make it, what, 18% or so?  Hope this will bear out over an extended run :)  Open some more doors for the Gen 4.1 folks!
Looking into exact blend as on the e/85 pump it says no lower than 70% ethonal. Did confirm that a branded BP supplier 93 has 9 or 10% guaranteed all year. Was trying to make sure it stayed under 20%.

Car pulled real hard and I can't describe how much smoother it felt. Max KR at WOT from a few different speeds was .8 with a lift knock of 2. Much better than the last week where I was getting up to 3.5 at WOT and an outrageous 5.2 lift knock.

Be careful out there with this winter gas everyone. This is the time to monitor closely.

Rich
Do you monitor the learned octane ratio by chance? Has it changed?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

SHOnUup

I dont. Didn't think of it at the time. Shucks

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on October 15, 2014, 04:02:10 PM
Bp doesn't make E-85 so ask him what the name is on the side of the truck that delivers it. Then we can dig up the msds for it
Stopped at same station where the guy was very informative last time and he wasn't in this time. Stake out time...lol.

In the 4 runs at the track yesterday I recorded no knock whatsoever! Guessing this is the fuel mixing better and car learning it.

On the ride home the wife was driving and scored a .8 lift knock. Wondering if this is something to do with letting off with all that torque built up because at the track letting off at 110 didn't get any lift knock?

Rich

Larrylu

I've been sticking with the same Gulf brand and station that showed me such an improvement in my KR readings a couple of months ago, and to my disappointment, this last tank is starting to show some low octane results. It started slowly but as I get deeper into this tankful, I'm up from a steady 2 to a 5.5. Maybe this sudden change can be attributed to winter gas and if so, I guess I'll have to run a 91 octane tune for the winter or experiment with mixing a couple gallons of E85 with my normal fill up. FWIW, I'm still not aware of the driving activity that produces my high reading. When I watch, full throttle or lift off do not produce a high reading. But in normal driving if I take my eyes off the gauge for a few minutes, a spike is captured. I'm going to see if I can get my KR gauge to give me an audible feedback on high readings.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

SHOnUup

Quote from: Larrylu on October 21, 2014, 10:39:08 AM
I've been sticking with the same Gulf brand and station that showed me such an improvement in my KR readings a couple of months ago, and to my disappointment, this last tank is starting to show some low octane results. It started slowly but as I get deeper into this tankful, I'm up from a steady 2 to a 5.5. Maybe this sudden change can be attributed to winter gas and if so, I guess I'll have to run a 91 octane tune for the winter. FWIW, I'm still not aware of the driving activity that produces my high reading. When I watch, full throttle or lift off do not produce a high reading. But in normal driving if I take my eyes off the gauge for a few minutes, a spike is captured. I'm going to see if I can get my KR gauge to give me an audible feedback on high readings.
I was noticing same thing Larry. My WOT pulls would show more than normal but not as bad medium throttle in normal conditions. My lift knock spiked as well.

Also seeing that the car needs to be fully warmed up to not register knock on these cold mornings. Noticing a few extra minutes does a world of difference here.

Big thanks to the GURUS in the Torque PID'S thread for making this a posibility. Probably the best investment made for the car yet is the ability to monitor this stuff.

Rich