• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Winter blend gas and E/85

Started by SHOnUup, October 12, 2014, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airbornemaikai

Thank you for this. The thing I like about this community is most of us do our own real world testing, and I have myself asked you questions about the e85 subject as I know you have experience with it. This forum also isn't full of people who give out careless misinformation, in general I believe we all want everyone's vehicle to not only perform well but be safe to not cause any harm either. So to these guys with sub 2013 model year vehicles what would be your advice? Also I'm fortunate enough to get my e85 from Stinker, who I believe is very good at putting out the information on their fuel blends, where I have had to really really dig to find others info. That and there is a big corvette scene here so lots of those guys have already done the research and made it available to the rest of us in my area.
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Airbornemaikai on October 12, 2014, 05:05:42 PM
Thank you for this. The thing I like about this community is most of us do our own real world testing, and I have myself asked you questions about the e85 subject as I know you have experience with it. This forum also isn't full of people who give out careless misinformation, in general I believe we all want everyone's vehicle to not only perform well but be safe to not cause any harm either. So to these guys with sub 2013 model year vehicles what would be your advice? Also I'm fortunate enough to get my e85 from Stinker, who I believe is very good at putting out the information on their fuel blends, where I have had to really really dig to find others info. That and there is a big corvette scene here so lots of those guys have already done the research and made it available to the rest of us in my area.
I have also been blessed with high quality corn and high quality 93 within a couple of minutes of my house.

I won't give advice, but I will say this. We have considered a used SHO and it could be a Gen 4.1. I would not hesitate to drive the crap gas out and immediately do a partial tank blend at 25 percent. Partial tank so if I did have an issue, i could fix it quickly by adding 93.

I played with it stock for quite a while so I am familiar with how it should behave.

SHOnUup

Quote from: Airbornemaikai on October 12, 2014, 04:31:27 PM
Is what I'm saying incorrect? I see 2011-2012 year vehicle signatures here. I guess maybe I shouldn't post any words of precaution? It seems like my post is being entirely disregarded as misinformation. Again, be careful running e85 if your vehicle isn't even rated for it, and make sure and find out what your states winter blends are or you may be running extremely high levels of ethanol and still not achieving a certain octane rating. Idk maybe I'm wrong.
Not at all. Appreciate it also. Quite busy today. Precautions definitely are being looked into.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Josephm

The gas cap and manual say nothing above e20 or 20% ethanol. I've started at 14-16% and seen nothing but good things.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Airbornemaikai

2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

SHOnUup

Added 2 gallons of e/85 to the tank and promptly filled up with 93 at the same BP. Got to talk to the manager (who orders the fuel) and he couldn't give me much info, but did say to make sure your station is a "branded" one.

The higher than usual KR readings are gone, car is twice as smooth under all throttle conditions.

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

Great to hear!  That would make it, what, 18% or so?  Hope this will bear out over an extended run :)  Open some more doors for the Gen 4.1 folks!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Quote from: SHOdded on October 15, 2014, 02:44:30 PM
Great to hear!  That would make it, what, 18% or so?  Hope this will bear out over an extended run :)  Open some more doors for the Gen 4.1 folks!
Looking into exact blend as on the e/85 pump it says no lower than 70% ethonal. Did confirm that a branded BP supplier 93 has 9 or 10% guaranteed all year. Was trying to make sure it stayed under 20%.

Car pulled real hard and I can't describe how much smoother it felt. Max KR at WOT from a few different speeds was .8 with a lift knock of 2. Much better than the last week where I was getting up to 3.5 at WOT and an outrageous 5.2 lift knock.

Be careful out there with this winter gas everyone. This is the time to monitor closely.

Rich

FoMoCoSHO

Since you a using a top tier as your base, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Regarding the winter gas.

FoMoCoSHO

Bp doesn't make E-85 so ask him what the name is on the side of the truck that delivers it. Then we can dig up the msds for it

SHOnUup

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on October 15, 2014, 04:02:10 PM
Bp doesn't make E-85 so ask him what the name is on the side of the truck that delivers it. Then we can dig up the msds for it
Thanks for this. Will do.

Rich

SHOnUup

After a 1/4 tank of this mix. ZERO knock under all conditions!!!

Rich

black99lightning

Went to the track last night and am pretty sure I experienced winter gas syndrome.  Soon as it shifted to 3rd it was shuddering.  Cleared up in 4th.  Best the b*tch ran was 13.32.  Horrible.  It was running that in 90 degree heat, it was low 60's last night.  Waste of time and money.  Next time, I'm adding either 100 octane unleaded or Torco.
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wasinger3000

I would invest in a cheap alcohol tester like I did. Really cleared up the mix information from fuel stations. I test my fuel every time to see what it's at. I have one station that sells straight 91 with 0% E, yet they post on the pump "Contains 10% E". Other places say 10% when it's only at 5%. Made mixing for my car so much easier. I used e98 from then on since it was the fastest solution to mixing.

Now it's almost time to start mixing e98 in the tank while spraying meth. Should be interesting.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.