• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Winter blend gas and E/85

Started by SHOnUup, October 12, 2014, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

As I read that the refineries start to switch over to winter blend mixes no later than September 15th it should be reaching our pumps now if not already.

My question is, could adding say 2 gallons to a fill up (well adding the 85 first as to mix it better) be a good way to combat this?

Rich

Edit: gas has dropped about 30 cents a gallon here in last week. Leeds me to believe it's here. KR has went up since this drop in price also.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SwampRat

Do Not try E85 blending in a pre 2013 3.5 EB
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

Josephm

I am doing it. In a 2012. I'm starting small at 16%.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Josephm

Just enough to gain a 1-2 octane rating to combat the crappy gas that is about to arrive.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

SHOnUup

Quote from: Josephm on October 12, 2014, 11:51:18 AM
I am doing it. In a 2012. I'm starting small at 16%.
I was thinking something small also. Not for added power, just to battle the less quality gas. Thinking a 10-15% area.

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Josephm

Ya a gallon in a half or so in each tank. I did a gallon last tank and still saw 22mpg which is good for a flex
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

SHOnUup

Larrylu

2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Airbornemaikai

Hope none of you run into issues, it's not wise to randomly experiment with e85 especially if your car isn't even rated for it.
Each state has a different blends of winter fuels, including e85. Do your research on what it is in your state as you may not be doing anything other than running too much ethanol in your vehicles and not even achieving the octane rating you are trying to achieve
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Airbornemaikai on October 12, 2014, 03:11:13 PM
Hope none of you run into issues, it's not wise to randomly experiment with e85 especially if your car isn't even rated for it.
Each state has a different blends of winter fuels, including e85. Do your research on what it is in your state as you may not be doing anything other than running too much ethanol in your vehicles and not even achieving the octane rating you are trying to achieve
This issue is quite overblown as quality and consistency has increased tremendously over the years. Find the msds sheet for your supplier and it will tell you what percentage e is in their winter blend. There is a study in the E-85 section with a nationwide study of over 130 stations across the country. That was in 2009 and I expect things have gotten even better since.

The one area where there are still issue has to do with vapor pressure which is a non issue in the winter when most of your fuel is straight gas.

2013 plus are rated for e-15. Other than the lpfp, the fuel systems are the same from Gen 4.1 to 4.2.

I have put almost 15 k on the car experimenting with various blends all the way to 55%. Not one dtc, emissions code, nothing. I gained 4/10ths in the quarter stock.

Our di system is Bosch DI Motronic. Feel free to research it and its capabilities. K think I may have dropped links in one of the E-85 threads.

Airbornemaikai

I agree with what you're saying about e85. That doesn't change the fact that different states use different blends of winter fuels, including e85. I'm not saying e85 during the summer months isn't e85, I'm saying it's not e85 in the winter months. I know for a fact it's e75 here in my state during the winter months. I don't know about the SHO, but I thought even you mentioned not to run it in a pre 2013? So my entire post was make sure your vehicle can handle it, and also check to see what the winter blend even is or you may be running 20 ethanol and still only achieving 90 octane
2014 Explorer Sport
Airaid 401-260

SHOnUup

FoMoCoSHO ^^^quality info...also consider you a leader in this area...thx for the reply

Rich

Airbornemaikai

Is what I'm saying incorrect? I see 2011-2012 year vehicle signatures here. I guess maybe I shouldn't post any words of precaution? It seems like my post is being entirely disregarded as misinformation. Again, be careful running e85 if your vehicle isn't even rated for it, and make sure and find out what your states winter blends are or you may be running extremely high levels of ethanol and still not achieving a certain octane rating. Idk maybe I'm wrong.
2014 Explorer Sport
Airaid 401-260

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Airbornemaikai on October 12, 2014, 04:31:27 PM
Is what I'm saying incorrect? I see 2011-2012 year vehicle signatures here. I guess maybe I shouldn't post any words of precaution? It seems like my post is being entirely disregarded as misinformation. Again, be careful running e85 if your vehicle isn't even rated for it, and make sure and find out what your states winter blends are or you may be running extremely high levels of ethanol and still not achieving a certain octane rating. Idk maybe I'm wrong.
i don't think you're wrong at all for suggesting caution. I think everyone should do what i did, research, verify, and increase blend slowly while monitoring the vitals of your vehicle. I'm just giving some results of my research combined with a lot of miles of real world usage.

You are 100 percent correct about winter blends and i was merely giving folks the tools to verify what their blend is. Mine also drops to 75 in the winter.

I'm sorry if you thought I was being dismissive of your post, not my intention.