• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil Return Line/Tube TSB Part #

Started by MDesign Performance, October 02, 2014, 10:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDesign Performance

There was a TSB on the leaking oil return line, I believe first they tried replacing the gasket and then there was a complete updated tube return line replacement. Anyone have the TSB and part numbers? I'm thinking of updating both my turbo return lines as a precaution and one of them is actually leaking a bit.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOdded

This one?  TSB-14-0105
3.5L GTDI-EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION AND /OR SMOKE FROM THE EXHAUST AT IDLE DURING NORMAL ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURE-ALUMINUM VALVE COVER
Description: FORD/LINCOLN: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A ROUGH IDLE, IN GASOLINE TURBOCHARGED DIRECT INJECTION (GTDI) ENGINE, MAY OCCUR AFTER HOT START. MODEL 2012-2014 FLEX, TAURUS, EXPLORER, MKT. *PE

Repair Information for NHTSA #10056139

or this one? TSB-14-0113
Description: FORD/LINCOLN: SOME VEHICLES, WITH ALUMINUM VALVE COVER, WILL EXPERIENCE AN EXCESSIVE CONDITION OF SMOKING ENGINE OIL AND/OR CONSUMPTION OF OIL, FROM TAIL PIPE, DURING NORMAL ENGINE TEMPERATURE OPERATION. MODEL 2010-2014 FLEX, TAURUS, EXP

or this service advisory:

TSB #AS-21759 / NHTSA ID #10039108

Date Announced:  MARCH 01 2011
Additional Info:  How to Fix

Summary: FORD: 2010-2011 TAURUS. THERE MAY BE AN OIL LEAK FROM THE TURBOCHARGER OIL FEED LINES OR A SEAL. *RM

http://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14855 (relevant post quoted below)

Post subject: Re: Burnt Oil Smell?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 pm 

I just found some interesting info on another forum:

Post 1:
they did a thorough inspection of the car today when the oil change was performed. After removing the splash guard, they checked the PTU (as that was high on the list for leaks). Apparently it was dry as a bone. They did however find some SSM's #21930 (part: 9T515), 21759 that were specific to leaking seals on the Turbo oil lines O rings. And that is where they found the issues. It would appear that the Turbo oil line O ring seals had weakened, and of course when under high temps, heavy load, the oil was dripping very slowly down onto the exhaust. Thus the lingering burning oil smell, nearly almost always after freeway/spirited driving. Needless to say, replacement parts have been ordered and the car should be getting fixed very shortly into the new year. Look forward to not smelling burnt oil after driving...as I almost always drive a little spirited.

Post 2:
A very good member of this forum was able to get me the listings for the codes that I stated above. Spells out the issue very nicely. I wanted to post this information for other EB owners that may come to experience the burnt oil smell on an intermittent basis after driving in a spirited manner.

Code:
21930 3.5L GTDI ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 1/11/2010 - TURBO OIL DRAIN TUBE GASKET NO LONGER AVAILABLE - REVISED TURBO OIL TUBE AVAILABLE
FOR 2010 TAURUS, FLEX, MKS, AND MKT VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 3.5L ECOBOOST ENGINE, WITH ENGINE BUILD DATE BEFORE 1/11/2010, THE GASKET BETWEEN THE TURBO CHARGER AND TURBO CHARGER OIL RETURN TUBE FLANGE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR SERVICE REQUIRING THE PURCHASE OF A TUBE ASSEMBLY (BASE 9T515.) TO DETERMINE THE VEHICLES ENGINE BUILD DATE, REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 303-01B. NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THE UPDATED AVAILABLE GASKET ON AN OLDER TUBE.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 06/20/2011

Code:
21759 2010-2011 TAURUS SHO, MKS, FLEX, AND MKT 3.5L ECOBOOST TURBO CHARGER OIL FEED AND RETURN LINE OIL LEAKS.
SOME 2010-2011 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.5L GTDI (ECOBOOST) ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL LEAK FROM THE TURBOCHARGER OIL FEED LINE AT THE BANJO BOLT CONNECTION OR THE SEAL ON THE OIL RETURN LINES. THESE LEAKS MAY APPEAR TO BE COMING FROM THE TURBOCHARGER ITSELF. CLOSELY INSPECT THE BANJO BOLT SEALS ON THE FEED LINE AND SEALS ON THE RETURN LINE FOR LEAKS AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY. CLEAN ALL ACCUMULATED RESIDUAL OIL FROM THE TURBOCHARGER V-CLAMP. DO NOT LOOSEN OR REMOVE THE V-CLAMP FOR CLEANING. TURBOCHARGER REPLACEMENT WILL NOT RESOLVE THIS SYMPTOM.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/01/2011

Lets see what my dealer says

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

Yea I searched for some part numbers and just want to make sure I am not re-purchasing what is already on the car and that they are the updated parts. Anyone know if this is it?

Left Return Line: AA5Z-9T515-E
Right Return Line: AA5Z-9T515-G

Anyone confirm if these are the ones used for the TSB's? Thanks in advance.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Tasca Ford has the left line for 18.00 and the right lower for 16.00 plus shipping,maybe they could give us an update.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

black99lightning

2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

MDesign Performance

Yea it's cheap enough and seems simple enough to swap on your own instead of going to the dealer.

CroR1

Does anyone know if this is the issue for the smoking exhaust after downpipes install, or is it the turbo seals?

gad

Quote from: cror1 on October 22, 2014, 01:09:10 PM
Does anyone know if this is the issue for the smoking exhaust after downpipes install, or is it the turbo seals?

same problem, after hard acceleration , blue smoke in  my back window,  only deceleration...
10 SHO, torrie tune, whatermeth , DP catless, H&R spring, t-stat 170, air raid intake, best time 12.19@110 mph.(1.74 0-60ft)

herbiethemisfit

So I replaced both oil return lines but I still have a leak on mine, so I'm suspecting it's the oil feed line (banjo bolt) that is the source.  Anyone know what the actual fix is for that?  The TSB just says to "repair as necessary".  Is it just replacing the crush washers and re-torquing??

I tried searching for the full text of that TSB, but didn't find anything.

Spenser281

Any updates on this?  It looks like I may be experiencing the same issue.  It sure as hell looks like a turbo seal leaking on the rear, but I suppose it could be the lines.  I see the part #'s for the return lines.  Are there any part #'s for the feed lines with hardware?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2010 SHO

Work in progress....

SHOdded

Can't confirm, but based on part numbers and what they are called:

For a 2010 SHO:

6   GB5Z-9G440-A   UPPER PIPE, RIGHT
$58.12   $40.10   
7   AA5Z-9T516-AF   UPPER PIPE, LEFT
$63.06   $36.26   
8   AA5Z-00812-AB   UPPER PIPE BOLT, RIGHT
$8.00   $4.60   
8   AA5Z-00812-AB   UPPER PIPE BOLT, LEFT
$8.00   $4.60   
9   AA5Z-6A863-B   UPPER PIPE CONNECTOR, RIGHT
$23.22   $16.02   
9   AA5Z-6A863-B   UPPER PIPE CONNECTOR, LEFT

https://secure.revolutionparts.com/levittown-ford/auto-parts/2010/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/engine-cat/turbocharger-and-components-scat

bpd1151

There were like 4 revisions to those oil supply & return lines, since the 2010 model year.

All due to oil leaking.

Quadruple check any part #'s, & be sure you have the latest revision.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pmezo33

I've got two turbos slightly leaking oil.  Oil level never drops, but it's definitely leaking.  Replaced both feeder and return lines and it's still leaking.  Not really sure to go from here other than replacing the turbos completely at some point.  It doesn't affect anything - no codes, performance is fine, etc.  But it's definitely leaking a little bit when inspecting from under the car.

SHOdded

Is your exhaust stock?  Wondering if its too late for the seals ...