• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" 5000K Switchbacks and sidemarkers installed! - ShoBoat

Started by EcoPowerParts, June 17, 2013, 02:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

In My post on the vLEDS there are a couple of pics on ballast mounting.  I actually used an existing screw on top of the wheel well on the right... should work... the link is a couple of posts back.

If you can't get into the headlight cowl to install the HIDs from the engine compartment you may have to remove the bumper... here's how: http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=521.msg3154#msg3154

Either way there is a bit of R&R to do

Here is a link to the post by dalum with headlight wiring diagrams:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1730.15

Hope this helps... just go slow and don't get frustrated

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

abnjeffy

Do I need to do any actual wiring or splicing with the HID kit?  I thought it was plug and play?
---2013 Taurus Limited, non-SHO---

BiGMaC

Quote from: abnjeffy on January 30, 2014, 07:01:07 AM
Do I need to do any actual wiring or splicing with the HID kit?  I thought it was plug and play?

I don't have your kit... but you'll have to get power from your HL switch some where... so you'll at least need to find them and a plug..... I'd call the manufacturer of your HIDs and ask. I didn't do HIDs as the 2013 SHO comes with them.. Here's a link to the wiring diagrams dalum posted... http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1730.msg22778#msg22778

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SwampRat

I Highly suggest that  With an aftermarket HID Kit That you use  a Relay Harness So POWER comes straight from the Battery ..

VLEDS sells one for the Kit you want ... http://www.vleds.com/morimoto-9006-hb4-relay-harness.html

The factory wiring on none HID Models is usually to Small for the extra amperage demands of HID's

SO NO they are Not plug and Play ..
Not hard to do ... take your time and don't try to rush it
On My 2011 Fusion Sport I Installed  a HID Kit  . I would install the Ballast's  Behind the Lower Bumper area away from the Elements  . It is Fairly easy to remove The Plastic Shroud below the front of the car  . I did this when I put my lower Billet Grill on my 13 SHO.
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SHOdded

What was the wattage on the HID system?  I know on our Edges, 35W is fine hooking directly into the factory harness, but 55W definitely needs to be hooked up directly to battery.  Ballasts can take up to 2x the amount of power to fire (think fluorescents), so a 35W could possibly take up to 70W and a 55W could require up to 110W momentary power to fire.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

abnjeffy

Quote from: kbeck59 on January 30, 2014, 10:13:01 AM
I Highly suggest that  With an aftermarket HID Kit That you use  a Relay Harness So POWER comes straight from the Battery ..

VLEDS sells one for the Kit you want ... http://www.vleds.com/morimoto-9006-hb4-relay-harness.html

The factory wiring on none HID Models is usually to Small for the extra amperage demands of HID's

SO NO they are Not plug and Play ..
Not hard to do ... take your time and don't try to rush it
On My 2011 Fusion Sport I Installed  a HID Kit  . I would install the Ballast's  Behind the Lower Bumper area away from the Elements  . It is Fairly easy to remove The Plastic Shroud below the front of the car  . I did this when I put my lower Billet Grill on my 13 SHO.

I bought that relay harness with the HIDs, which may be adding to why I am so overwhelmed with all this wiring I am staring at
---2013 Taurus Limited, non-SHO---

BiGMaC

Don't let the diagrams and wires confuse you. Determine what attaches to what.  Then locate these point in the car and on the harness. Next locate the physical areas in the car.  Now you know how to connect it.  Finally consider how to route the wires and when you're satisfied begin the install.

If you are worried you can't do it correctly and the vLED folks can't clarify it for you I'd recommend getting a professional.  All of us do from time to time as we mod.

ShoBoat

Hey Guys, I would like to apologize. I realize that a few of you had sent me some questions regarding this mod. I have been otherwise occupied as of late. The V3's are the way to go, I installed these in mine about a month ago. With any SHO that has the DRL active you can reprogram the ECU to activate the turn signals instead of the headlights. This is cool in itself. But the V3's change to from amber to white when this happens. so your DRL turn signals are now white until the signal is pulsed by the indicator stalk. How cool is that! BTW BIGMac nice ride!
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

BiGMaC

Quote from: ShoBoat on March 05, 2014, 08:34:07 PM
Hey Guys, I would like to apologize. I realize that a few of you had sent me some questions regarding this mod. I have been otherwise occupied as of late. The V3's are the way to go, I installed these in mine about a month ago. With any SHO that has the DRL active you can reprogram the ECU to activate the turn signals instead of the headlights. This is cool in itself. But the V3's change to from amber to white when this happens. so your DRL turn signals are now white until the signal is pulsed by the indicator stalk. How cool is that! BTW BIGMac nice ride!

Thanks ShoBoat! .... I Agree on the signals... VLED is the way to go. Here's a link to the install and a demo video of them working... compares OEM to VLEDs.  some where lse I posted the content of the package... just be sure to get the Ford adaptor!
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1730.msg22650#msg22650

dalum

I'm still having problems with mine after trying the new model ford adapters.  Its been so damn cold I haven't felt like messing with them any further yet.
2013 Non-PP SHO

ShoBoat

Quote from: dalum on March 06, 2014, 01:49:42 AM
I'm still having problems with mine after trying the new model ford adapters.  Its been so damn cold I haven't felt like messing with them any further yet.
Can you be specific on the issues? I had a few also maybe I can help you out.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

BiGMaC

Quote from: ShoBoat on March 06, 2014, 09:30:40 AM
Can you be specific on the issues? I had a few also maybe I can help you out.

Same here... what exactly is it doing? I am having no issues.
I know you purchased before the adaptor was available and got it later

SwampRat

My guess is that you need to check the pins inside of the waterproof sockets were the harness plugs into the power brick or extension . One of the pins in the socket was pushed back some and was not connecting on mine.
I pulled it out with needle nose pliers and then put a drop of super glue on the back side of the pin wher the wire comes out of the socket but behind the round colored grommet ..

It drove me nuts till I figured it out and I had actually forgot about it .

Unplug all of them and visually check that the pins are not pushed in.
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

dalum

It's not immediate or every time now but they will still switch to hyper flash and disable the output until I turn the signal off and back on again.

1: signal, normal flashing a few times, hyper flash with output disabled (switches back to white instead of hyper flash amber)

2: signal, instant hyper flash with stead white again.

I even tried it without the resistor and it still does it which confused the hell out of me.
I need to get forscan hooked back up and see exactly what error the bcm is setting.  I presume it's disabling the output on what it thinks is a high load. It also seems to be worse with the engine running at alternator voltage instead of battery voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

It sounds like a defective control unit.  Hopefully it's still in warranty.  Maybe give them a call and see.  I found them very helpful.