• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" 5000K Switchbacks and sidemarkers installed! - ShoBoat

Started by EcoPowerParts, June 17, 2013, 02:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

Originally posted by ShoBoat

This mod has taken me quite some time to complete, I sourced the LED bulbs locally and the color was always off. They all had quite a bit of blue in the bulbs. Some almost to the point of being purple?? So I mucked around with this for a few weeks. I even changed the HID's to 6000K just to get it to match. No dice as the LED lower markers are about a 5000K color. Just my 2 cents if you want to match your OEM 4300K HID and the OEM lower LED markers get the ones I have listed. I literately went through 3 sets of switch back bulbs before these.

The running lights are really bright. almost like adding a set of fog lights. Also on approach when you unlock the car they light up the areas in front of the car really well.

The Switchbacks are VLEDS 5000K 3157 Type 2 dual color bulbs
The Corners are 5000K 194 Bulbs
You will also need a pair of load resistors to eliminate hyper-flash. I went with 8 ohm 50W but 6 ohm 50W is more readily available and will work too.

The install is fairly simple (sort of lol)
The switchbacks are easier to install and you can access from inside the engine compartment. Driver side is piece of cake. Remove the socket and plug in the bulb. You need to use wire taps to link the load resistor to the 2 outside wires on the harness. I would double check with a volt meeter which is ground and the turn signal. Mount the load resistor to metal. I mounted mine to the inner fender wells with Loctite 3873 is a fast curing, high-conductivity, adhesive. And that seemed to work well. On the passenger side it was a little harder to get the wire taps on. I removed the tube going to the throttle body to give me more space to work.
The side markers are a PITA!. You will have to remove the wheel and the plastic outer fender well. Once you have those off now begins the cursing. If your hands are small enough you can reach up and grab the socket and twist it out. My hands are not that small (what was ford thinking?) Instead I used a long pair of needle nose pliers to just twist the socket enough to break to free. Then I was able to get my fingers on it and remove it. Installation is also a PITA, you have to insert the bulb and socket had just get it to grab with your hand. Once you do then and only then use the pliers carefully. You could break the housing if not careful. Done, just put if back together and enjoy!!
I'll add the links to the products below.

http://www.vleds.com/5k-type-2-dual-color-changing-white-amber-switchback-42-high-power-led-turn-signal-bulbs-3157-4157-1-pair.html

http://www.vleds.com/bulb/194-168-158-led/5k-white-led/5k-white-10-led-light-bulbs-194-158-168-2825-1-pair.html

http://www.vleds.com/resistors/led-load-equalizer-resistors-turn-signal-blinker-fix-1-pair.html

http://www.henkel.com/fullproductlist-electronics.htm?countryCode=us&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=90000000057&categoryspecificredDotUID=00000002KJ
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

ShoBoat

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

abnjeffy

I just found this and am going to give it a shot.  What brand HID's are used in the original thread?  I want to get a pair to and make sure the color matches
---2013 Taurus Limited, non-SHO---

BiGMaC

Welcome... glad you joined!  :cheers:

I think ShoBoat ended up using OEM HIDs...

"Just my 2 cents if you want to match your OEM 4300K HID and the OEM lower LED markers get the ones I have listed. I literately went through 3 sets of switch back bulbs before these....

The Switchbacks are VLEDS 5000K 3157 Type 2 dual color bulbs
The Corners are 5000K 194 Bulbs
You will also need a pair of load resistors to eliminate hyper-flash. I went with 8 ohm 50W but 6 ohm 50W is more readily available and will work too."

The links posted work.

Maybe Shoboat will weigh in. I PM'd him.  :secret:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Kolk1

I did a write up with wiring color, for switch backs that I did on my 11'. But It was on EBOF.

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

Kolk1

Nope, ever since the board update over there, all of my DIYs are gone. Really pisses me off. I had a TON. Remote Start system, with viper or OEM key fob, switch back LEDs, Toggle switch for Fans, Stereo install, front speakers, sub amp install, wiring diagrams, you name it.

BiGMaC

Not much attention to detail there I guess. It sux when you put in the time to provide help to others and then it just gets trashed.

:blowup:

SHOdded

Yea, and Kolk had some pretty detailed writeups, very clear & informative with pics.  Let me see if I can root out anything over there.

EDIT:  I found some on LEDs etc.  But I am not allowed to post the link to EBOF anymore, so maybe I can have 4DR import the info?  I will PM him.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

abnjeffy

BiGMaC,

The link for 194's is not working but those are easy enough to find.  I am having trouble differentiating between crappy and good HID kits online.  I want to go with a 5k kit but am not sure on a brand

BiGMaC

I agree with 5K... Me2.   I'm trying to find out if anyone has experience with the Triton V3 LEDs... http://www.vleds.com/bulb.html

abnjeffy

Well I am about to pull the trigger on a set of the V3's so I don't have to do any additional wiring.  Problem is, I want to do it all at once and am having trouble settling on an HID kit

abnjeffy

I finally got a set of the Triton V3's, LED side markers and HIDs.  I am having issues deciding where to begin on the HID install, can anyone give me advie one how to get started?  I just don't really know how the wiring works and where to put it all

BiGMaC

abnjeffy....
What year and model ride do you have... Maybe put it in your signature so questions can be answered better for you.

The triton instal with the new ford adapter is plug and play... see my post
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1730.msg22650#msg22650

You may have to remove the front clip (bumper) to change the headlight cowl... hard to say right now  more info on your ride please and a pic of your HID kit or part#.

abnjeffy

sorry about the lack of info, it's a 2013 non-SHO Taurus Limited.  I have this HID kit from VLEDs
http://www.vleds.com/hid-242/hid-conversion-kits/9006/9006-morimoto-elite-hid-system.html

As for the Triton's, I think I've got that figured out but I'm waiting on the Ford-specific connectors from them that I didn't know I needed.

I just don't really know where to put all the wiring for the HIDs and the ballasts and how to run everything.  It's a bit overwhelming to look at it all