• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Engine bay cleaning

Started by southtxSHO, August 31, 2014, 07:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtxSHO

Alright so I ordered some Adams products to clean my engine bay . Anything I need to cover ? I don't have my Cai installed due to extreme south Texas heat.
2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes
12.89@ 105 MPH best time @ Edinburg Raceway

BiGMaC

I pressure wash (3100 psi) with impunity.  I soap and degrease with a foam cannon and use various small mops and paint brushes for scrubbing, then rinse with pressure washer and blow dry with a MegaBlaster.  Finally apply a water-based preservative to plastics.

I cover nothing and do this about every 3 months on my '13 SHO.

I do drop the lower engine cover and remove it for this... Makes cleaning it and the rest of the job easier.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

southtxSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on August 31, 2014, 10:59:29 PM
I pressure wash (3100 psi) with impunity.  I soap and degrease with a foam cannon and use various small mops and paint brushes for scrubbing, then rinse with pressure washer and blow dry with a MegaBlaster.  Finally apply a water-based preservative to plastics.

I cover nothing and do this about every 3 months on my '13 SHO.

I do drop the lower engine cover and remove it for this... Makes cleaning it and the rest of the job easier.
Thanks for the tips BigMac
2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes

southtxSHO

Here are some before and after pics .... Used Adams products

2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes

SHOdded

Looks great :thumb:  How long did it take?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

southtxSHO

Thanks .... I want to say about an hr. total time between letting the degreaser soak , rinse , dry and adding shine
2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes

SHOdded

Dry w/ a MetroVac or some such product?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Looks super. I really need to try this out.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

mval

guys- all i know is that i show my sho at car shows but when it comes to detailing, if  it's not something that i'm already doing i add tom's(big mac) ways of detailing into my routine. he's pure & simply the jedi master of detailing!!!!
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

BiGMaC

Quote from: mval on October 06, 2014, 08:52:33 AM
guys- all i know is that i show my sho at car shows but when it comes to detailing, if  it's not something that i'm already doing i add tom's(big mac) ways of detailing into my routine. he's pure & simply the jedi master of detailing!!!!

Mike your making me blush!

We're all a bit OC about our SHOs IMHO

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

J-Will

Just be careful with APC.  It is one of my favorite products, but the one I respect the most.  I actually have two spray bottles of it, one is diluted 1:1
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

mval

i will add 1 thing to tom's method, as like i said i show my car, i use 303 aerospace on plastic parts of bay it & in tougher to get areas use a household handheld swifter & put some 303 on it. in shows, dust = bad impression & negative points.
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler

LV SHO

when I cared about my engine bay I used CD2 Engine cleaner found at most auto parts stores next to engine degreaser.  not sure how dirty your engine bay gets but pressure washing it regularly seems like a bit of overkill to me.  literally just spray on, and let dry with wiping off any excess maybe takes 5 minutes.

you could eat off my SRT-4 engine most days lol

was in a calendar and got a few trophies at shows

SHOdded

Very "pretty"!  SwampRat's color of choice too, I believe :)

mval

beaut of an engine bay down to the red top battery. can see why was in a mag. i was looking for that as well as use lots of red in mine as well &  durelast discontinued it & didn't want an optima, $$ & gray bottom, so just painted the what ever they are called lids?? red. & just removed labels & keep rest of battery black.