• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Another disappointment at the track...

Started by SHO-TYM, August 29, 2014, 11:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHO-TYM

So a few months ago I ran the 1/8 mile track down the street with intake, LMS stage 4 tune and ran a 8.41 in the 1/8th.  Went tonight after upgrading to new plugs, new thermostat, and the 4+x tune from LMS, and the best I ran tonight was 8.448. I ran that twice... and then I ran a 8.469. VERY consistent. Started out around 90 degrees and humid.... too hot. Then after my 2nd run I opened the hood and scanned using Dash Command and read my IAT. ... 127 degrees!! And coolant temp of over 200 degrees.  I let it sit with hood open for about an hour. Scanned again and saw 88 degrees IAT so I went for my 3rd run, and ran the exact same as my first run.... literally exact.  So I ran slower after all my recent upgrades....I even took out my spare tire this time.... but I also had 3/4 tank of fuel compared to the "20 miles to empty" message I had a couple months ago.... so I was hoping to see the 7 ' s tonight, but I sadly saw slower than normal. Any ideas?

2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP, Livernois Motorsports Windstorm Intake, LME Stage 4+X Meth Tune, 160* thermostat, new motorcraft plugs gapped at .028. 3 Bar Map Sensor, LMS non-catted down pipes, Corsa Catback System, ALKY Methanol Injection, LED Puddle Lights, and (ATP upgraded turbos on the way)
Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25497/this-is-what-a-550-hp-ford-taurus-sho-looks-like/

ShoBoat

Your 60s are high, that's most of your issue there. They should be closer to 1.85. Were you getting a lot of wheel spin? What are you launching at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOnUup

Those 60' times look slow, thinking the hot humid air has alot to do with it. What were the conditions last time?
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

My last outing with 3 bar tune I had a best of 1.81 in the 60' with some wheel spin. I think the humidity plays as big a role if not bigger than the heat, preliminary thoughts only having car 4 months now
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHO-TYM

2011 SHO vs Chevy Nova: http://youtu.be/g3vJn__7V9I
There is the video of my 8.44 run vs Chevy nova
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP, Livernois Motorsports Windstorm Intake, LME Stage 4+X Meth Tune, 160* thermostat, new motorcraft plugs gapped at .028. 3 Bar Map Sensor, LMS non-catted down pipes, Corsa Catback System, ALKY Methanol Injection, LED Puddle Lights, and (ATP upgraded turbos on the way)
Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25497/this-is-what-a-550-hp-ford-taurus-sho-looks-like/

SHO-TYM

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 29, 2014, 11:55:30 PM
Your 60s are high, that's most of your issue there. They should be closer to 1.85. Were you getting a lot of wheel spin? What are you launching at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not getting a ton of wheel spin, I have some wheel hop going into 2nd, but that's all. It HAS to do with the humidity. You can see the condensation on the roof of the SHO in the video.... I was pouring sweat all night in shorts and t shirt with Temps around 75-80 around 9:30-10:30 pm. I think humidity is around 65-75%. Launching is on the time slips. One at 1800, one at 2000, and one at 2500. 2500 was the Nova run in the video. It just felt super slow off the line, but when I hit 2nd it came alive.... which tells me it was sucking cooler air at that point.
Road & Track Article

SHO-TYM

Road & Track Article

SHO-TYM

I have a fast mph with the new tune.... but times are slower...
Road & Track Article

SHOdded

Is the 4x tune broken in?  Def do the ShoBoat mod on the Airaid to keep IATs as low as possible.  Engine cover off (at least for the track/summer)?  A/C & all other accessories off?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Larrylu

Taking the engine cover off should have a modest cooling effect on IAT but will have the most dramatic effect on the IAT2 (charge air temp), at least that's what I found. Also I really think temporarily removing (super easy) the rear hood seal will give some of the benefits of a cowl hood with none of the cost.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

SHO-TYM

Quote from: SHOdded on August 30, 2014, 01:41:26 AM
Is the 4x tune broken in?  Def do the ShoBoat mod on the Airaid to keep IATs as low as possible.  Engine cover off (at least for the track/summer)?  A/C & all other accessories off?
The 4x tune wasn't broken in last night. After I reflashing back to stock to take the car to the dealer, I accidentally loaded just the 4+ tune, and drove around on it for a month.... so when I got to the track last night, I realized that, and did a fresh reflash of 4x. I need to do the airaid fix, and I did have the engine cover off.

Quote from: Larrylu on August 30, 2014, 08:14:37 AM
Taking the engine cover off should have a modest cooling effect on IAT but will have the most dramatic effect on the IAT2 (charge air temp), at least that's what I found. Also I really think temporarily removing (super easy) the rear hood seal will give some of the benefits of a cowl hood with none of the cost.

Where might one find the rear hood seal? Sounds like a nice idea for track sessions.
Road & Track Article

SHOdded

I believe Larry is talking about this strip here?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: SHO-TYM on August 30, 2014, 08:33:42 AM
The 4x tune wasn't broken in last night. After I reflashing back to stock to take the car to the dealer, I accidentally loaded just the 4+ tune, and drove around on it for a month.... so when I got to the track last night, I realized that, and did a fresh reflash of 4x. I need to do the airaid fix, and I did have the engine cover off.

Quote from: Larrylu on August 30, 2014, 08:14:37 AM

Where might one find the rear hood seal? Sounds like a nice idea for track sessions. T
The cowl cover its that one piece under your windshield,you have to open your hood,that big piece of plastic lays accross the the bottom windshield,it pops out and make sure to put it back a.s.a.p cause if it rains its not good.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

SHOdded any benefits keeping the heat set to high and then turning it off prior to launch?

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Larrylu

Quote from: SHOdded on August 30, 2014, 08:47:25 AM
I believe Larry is talking about this strip here?
That's the one alright. There a series of "C" shaped hooks facing left on left side and right on right side. The seal has holes in the bottom that match up with the hooks so if you tug gently from center to each side of the car one hole at a time you can remove without damage. Would rain getting in because this seal were removed be any worse than BPD's beautiful and fully functional hood vents?
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro