• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Frustrating Brakes

Started by elund126, September 04, 2014, 04:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elund126

I just had my rotors turned and put EBC Red Stuff pads up front. Before, there was no pulsating, now, horrible pulsating and TONS of brake dust. My rotors were only a year old so I'm pretty confident that they weren't warped. I'm pounding my head to figure it out. What should I check? Ideas?
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

Brucelinc

I presume the rotors are original equipment?  I am not sure they would be a great match for more aggressive pads.  In any case, dull bits in the turning lathe can cause a poor job on the rotors.  It sounds like that might have happened.  Just a thought...I would check with whoever turned them.

elund126

I bought the rotors in April 2013. They are Centric rotors sold by Stop Tech.

Maybe I should explain further. Going about 40, light to medium brakes, a lot of pulsing. Press down on the brake pedal harder, no pulsing. This is boggling me.

Could it be that the pads just haven't set yet?
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

SHOdded

Even with new (& properly seated) pads, pulsing should not happen.  My guess is that turning the rotors created a somewhat uneven surface that is dampened by heavier braking.  Hopefully the pads will wear in properly to the rotors, but I'd have the rotor thickness/runout checked anyway. 
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

If you have the equipment you need to check rotor runout. 
You could alway try to pull the rotors off and turn Them 180* and reinstall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

crash712us

Also make sure mating surfaces are cleaned. Hub and inside of rotor.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

elund126

Figured it out......old rotors warped. New rotors solved the problem. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks and having the old ones turned.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

SHOdded

What did you go with for rotors this time?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

An overlooked issue with new or old rotors vibrating is over torquing the wheel bolts with a torque gun can cause the rotors to warp and some cases damage the hub flange,some mechanics when over tightning the bolts they tighten them out of sequence causing the rotors to be off balance and then lead to vibration at highway speeds,another issue is when installing the bolts they should be done in a pattern for example first is 12oclock then 6 oclock position and installed by hand then follow your vehicle torque specs which usually is about 90lbs of torque.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

elund126

Quote from: SHOdded on September 06, 2014, 01:16:03 AM
What did you go with for rotors this time?

This will probably make a few people cringe, but, I went with Ford OEM rotors. It wasn't my first choice, but being a daily driver and only having one day off of work, I couldn't wait for shipping, so I had to pick some up at the dealership. My alternatives were Autozone or O-Reilly's, so it was a pretty easy choice.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

elund126

Quote from: ZSHO on September 06, 2014, 09:56:49 AM
An overlooked issue with new or old rotors vibrating is over torquing the wheel bolts with a torque gun can cause the rotors to warp and some cases damage the hub flange,some mechanics when over tightning the bolts they tighten them out of sequence causing the rotors to be off balance and then lead to vibration at highway speeds,another issue is when installing the bolts they should be done in a pattern for example first is 12oclock then 6 oclock position and installed by hand then follow your vehicle torque specs which usually is about 90lbs of torque.

This is one of the first lessons my dad taught me when I was a young pup!!
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

SHOdded

Quote from: ZSHO on September 06, 2014, 09:56:49 AM
An overlooked issue with new or old rotors vibrating is over torquing the wheel bolts with a torque gun can cause the rotors to warp and some cases damage the hub flange ...
Noteworthy point!
Quote from: elund126 on September 06, 2014, 11:42:30 AM
This will probably make a few people cringe, but, I went with Ford OEM rotors.
I still believe pads are the primary issue, then the booster/master cylinder.  Rotors should work out fine.

elund126

After 4 days of driving with the EBC red and Ford rotors, I can say that the braking feels stronger than it ever has! And,  I hear the EBC doesn't really "break in" for awhile....
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

glock-coma

Usually takes about 500-1000 miles of "normal" driving before you can start the final brake in process.  Just don't heat them up to much before that or you'll toast those new rotors/pads.

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)