• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Strut Popping Sound

Started by NAiLs, July 31, 2014, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAiLs

I wanted to get an opinion on what may be going on with my front driver side spring/strut...

After I got my car back from Goodyear (See my thread about my experience at Goodyear with my wheels) to do a tire install and alignment, my front driver side strut has been making a popping noise.  Basically when the wheel is on the ground, you can turn it and you can hear the spring snap into place.  I jacked the car up in the air and when the strut and spring are relaxed, you no longer hear this noise.  Dropping it back down it occurrs again.  Being a little redundant... After physically watching it, you can see the bottom of the spring basically snap back into place, making the noise that I've been hearing.

The passenger side does not do this.

I notice it all the time while driving, so no matter what direction I turn the wheel, the noise happens.  I also mainly notice this noise when driving at lower speeds, such as under 20MPH.

Could there be something that I can easily pop back into place?  I'm honestly clueless where to begin troubleshooting, since the suspension is one thing that I've never really played with much on a car.  I'm not an idiot given direction, though.

Any ideas?  Or am I up for a repair at the dealership?

If my description of the issue sucks, let me know and I can clarify or get a video.  :)

Thanks!

-Brian

glock-coma

I would check the top strut mount. It has bearings inside allowing the wheel/strut assembly to rotate. Also check the spring to make sure its seated properly. 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

NAiLs

Quote from: glock-coma on July 31, 2014, 05:25:19 PM
I would check the top strut mount. It has bearings inside allowing the wheel/strut assembly to rotate. Also check the spring to make sure its seated properly.

I'll definitely double check the first one, but what am I looking for in terms of the spring being seated properly?  That could be all that my issue is, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

glock-coma

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ShoBoat

The strut mount at the top of the strut has a bearing in it. If the bearing is really dirty, damaged or not seated properly it can cause what you are talking about. It happened to me. I think I did a how to, I'll see if I can find the link.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ShoBoat

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

NAiLs

Quote from: glock-coma on July 31, 2014, 10:26:15 PM
This should help. 
http://www.aa1car.com/library/strut_suspensions.htm
Thanks!  I'll read over that website to learn more!

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 01, 2014, 09:54:58 AM
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=2759

Danke!  I'll read through your post there and see if it's exactly what I'm experiencing.  If I get a moment this weekend, I'll even check it out on my car.

NAiLs

So I'm revisiting this since I finally have time to actually work on this while working on my car this weekend.  I was sick for two weeks after posting this, then the weather has sucked since.  I can grab the spring and rotate it counterclockwise and it'll pop in my hands.  It pops up top, not on the bottom.  I am pretty sure this isn't normal and this is the symptom that I'm seeing when all four wheels are on the ground.

So if I wanted to check the upper mount, am I just removing the four nuts up top?  Is there anything else special that I need to do?  I'm not a complete idiot with cars, but suspensions are one thing that I've never really learned.  I just wanted to make sure I don't botch something.  :)

Thanks!

-Brian