• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

ruh oh, a problem!

Started by MeanKS, March 18, 2014, 08:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

Quote from: FracaSHO on March 18, 2014, 01:36:13 PM

Quote from: DRII on March 18, 2014, 01:24:54 PM
Quote from: 68_GT on March 18, 2014, 12:38:21 PM
coil packs are going to fail here and there it's an electronic component. I just replaed all 8 on my 07 Expedition becasue 3-4 were bad so I just put a fresh set on there. It has 83K miles on it and with new spark plugs it runs perfectly now. You probably smelled fuel becasue the engine started dumping fuel (running very rich) becasue it went into limp mode for safety due to the misfire. Easy fix. And you can swap out your plugs in 30 minutes. It's super easy.

ah yea, i wish i had some of you all's skills underhood, but sadly i don't  :-[.

and the dealer and warranty company only want to do what is technically necessary.  the tech already told me that putting in the SP534 plugs would be considered warranty fraud and that he had use the 'official' replacement plug  C:-) :angry1: C:-)

Them doing the bare minimum is to be expected. Did they actually use the term 'warranty fraud!?' What a joke. Whether it's ignorance or stupidity it all annoys the same.

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone

yea, 'warranty fraud'!

and then the service advisor said that i should only use the officially designated plugs because others might cause the piston to break  ::)

he was like, those 'tuner mods' are not recommended, LOL...

i was already mad that something broke in the first place and that i had to pay for the diagnostic out of pocket, so i left it alone.

if anyone knows of performance oriented service departments in the northeastern NC or southeastern VA area; please let me know...
MKS-EB...

Brucelinc

Warranty fraud, my ass!  I think the Motorcraft site still lists the old SP512 as the replacement.  O'reilly auto parts' site lists both the 528 and the 534 as direct replacements for the 2010 - 2012 MKS ecoboost.

I am sure either the 528 or 534 would be fine.  If I was not running a tune, I would probably have used the 528s gapped at the recommended .035.  With higher boost levels, the cooler 534 and .030 gap is preferable.  Obviously, you don't want to tell most service writers to use 534s because you have a tune or they would certainly get their panties in a wad.

I got really good at changing coils on my Lincoln LS.  That engine was notorious for bad coils.  I haven't heard of many problems with the ecoboost but electrical components can fail.

MeanKS

and doesn't Ford use the 534s standard now in the transverse 3.5 EB anyway?

MKS-EB...

Brucelinc

Quote from: DRII on March 18, 2014, 02:17:11 PM
and doesn't Ford use the 534s standard now in the transverse 3.5 EB anyway?

Yes, on 2013s and newer.  They still recommend a gap of .033-.037, though. 

panther427

The more storys like this and the fire issue the more i think this will me my first last and only ford.
2013 SHO

FracaSHO

he was like, those 'tuner mods' are not recommended, LOL...

[/quote]

What a D BAG!!!   

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

mjhpadi

Quote from: panther427 on March 18, 2014, 02:50:33 PM
The more storys like this and the fire issue the more i think this will me my first last and only ford.
I think this answers the question on how the Lincoln dealer views mods...they are probably used to Lincoln customers who are happy that their cars start, I doubt that they are serious performance minded.  I have had no problems from my dealer about anything done to the car.  I do understand that they won't go away from the recommended plug simply because it does away with them being responsible for anything that could possibly go wrong.  This sounds like a dealer that is just an old time dealer.  I think it really pays to do some research on the dealers service department before purchasing just to get a "feel" for their outlook on performance. I know both my servicing dealer and my selling dealer never had a problem with any mods, but both were performance oriented and have been great.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

twnscrw13

It definitely sucks when you have an issue with a newer car but I'm not aware of any make that is problem free. I've owned Fords all my life as well as a Civic Si and an Audi A4. Knock on wood I've never had an issue with a Ford product (Ford dealers are another story). The A4 had problem after problem and it only had 80k miles on it when I got rid of it. I'm at 38k now and so far not a single issue (again, knock on wood).

2018 PP, blue. Sony, Navi. Stock.... For now.

black99lightning

Did you read the original thread that got deleted? 
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

black99lightning

Quote from: mjhpadi on March 18, 2014, 03:15:14 PM
I think this answers the question on how the Lincoln dealer views mods...they are probably used to Lincoln customers who are happy that their cars start, I doubt that they are serious performance minded.  I have had no problems from my dealer about anything done to the car.  I do understand that they won't go away from the recommended plug simply because it does away with them being responsible for anything that could possibly go wrong.  This sounds like a dealer that is just an old time dealer.  I think it really pays to do some research on the dealers service department before purchasing just to get a "feel" for their outlook on performance. I know both my servicing dealer and my selling dealer never had a problem with any mods, but both were performance oriented and have been great.

This.  If the dealer installs a non correct part, even though we say it will work, if it causes damage they will be responsible for the repairs and not Ford corporate.  My local dealer knows I have a tune in my SHO and Xsport.  I tell them do not reflash the computer every time I go in.  The SHO is long out of factory and powertrain due to mileage.  It's on my dime. 
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

MeanKS

alright, got the car back from the dealer tonight.  I'm actually pretty happy, but not so sure i should be.

first, i didn't have to pay for the diagnostic.  was happy about that.  Fidelity handled all of the warranty cost, which was only $265, plus $75 towing fee, which was lower than i thought it would be.

second, i started a thread about tire roar coming from the car since last week, thought it was chopped tires, come to find out it was a failed wheel bearing!  the tech test drove the car after they replaced the failed ignition coil and diagnosed it right away.  they replaced it (right front) under Ford's power train warranty free of charge.  whats strange is that the roar did not start until i got the tires rotated and balanced at the horrible Ford service center (they were brought out by a good dealer so i thought things may have changed).  is that just a coincidence?  i have my doubts, that dealer is officially incompetent in my eyes now!  its the second time something like this has happened at that particular dealer!

so all in all, everything was done at this Lincoln dealer today for free, the engine is purring again and feels very strong, the ride is smooth as butter and its serenely quiet once more, and now the tire feel like they have better grip and handling.  and i saved at least $766 for the new tires i was going to buy.  thats all good, but having at least two somewhat significant problems (failed ignition coil and wheel bearing) this early on is giving me pause (at least a little bit).  i definitely won't be doing any engine mods, that voids the extended warranty, for at least a while longer until i get a better feeling of how this car is going to hold up...
MKS-EB...

DJE624

Glad you got those two bugs worked out.  I really don't think that's too bad.  It is a '10 after all. 

SHOdded

Discretion can indeed be the better part of valor.  Enjoy the renewed ride!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!