• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Looking to switch to unleashed

Started by brandont, August 25, 2014, 06:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasinger3000

Does LMS take a data log file from the customer to make fine tuned adjustments? Do they offer custom tunes for e30?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

brandont

Well I am gonna find out what difference it makes. My tuner for unleashed should be here tomorrow and in planing a track day next weekend after some data logging. Times will show the difference. I have asked before about custom tunes and they said the only custom tuning lms done is when you go to a 3 bar map sensor..... which I did and it was "custom" but I did no data logging or anything they just sent me tunes like usual

wasinger3000

I'd much rather have a tune based on data logs and not just a "here you go!" File. Every engine acts just a little bit different.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

SHOnUup

Quote from: wasinger3000 on August 26, 2014, 04:07:40 PM
I'd much rather have a tune based on data logs and not just a "here you go!" File.
I'm the opposite here. I'd rather the tested, tested, and more tested tunes based on dyno use and great #'s to back it  than a couple hundred dollar handheld. Just preferences in the 2 styles of tuning as we've all stated.

The tuning for corn is a great ? Haven't heard of them into that yet.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

brandont

I'd much rather have a tune based on data logs and not just a "here you go!" File. Every engine acts just a little bit different.
I agree!!! Some people make amazing power on the same tune I have

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 26, 2014, 04:20:49 PM
I'd much rather have a tune based on data logs and not just a "here you go!" File.
I'm the opposite here. I'd rather the tested, tested, and more tested tunes based on dyno use and great #'s to back it  than a couple hundred dollar handheld. Just preferences in the 2 styles of tuning as we've all stated.

It's not the device that dictates the final tune. It's the man behind the computer that is adjusting the parameters according to what he sees from the data log. That is what makes a true custom tune that is far superior in my eyes than a tune that has not been testes on your exact car.

Let's say your car has a less than perfect internals, be it carbon build up on the valves, fuel pump flows less than expected, injector is clogged and so on. When you load that cute little tune from LMS to your car and go for a hot lap without knowing if it's the right fit for your car you are potentially in store for damaged parts right away or even 50k down the road.

Same story now only with unleased tuning, after you load his tune you take it out and do a data log, send it in, and he says something like, hey it looks like your car is a little low on fuel pressure or he notices knock at a certain event so he adjust according to the issues he sees need adjusting.

Make sense?

ShoBoat

I too am curious, I think I'll pony up and take mine to LMS and get it on the dyno. I am really curious to see if they can adjust the tune for my mod level for my individual car. I was planning on heading that way next month anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

IHeartGroceries

My opinion is that peak gains between the two, or at least comparably matched tunes (say, stage 4 LMS vs. a similarly aggressive mapping from Torrie), is not likely to be huge.
That said, and even though TMS claims their tunes not to be "canned", there is still absolutely a conservativeness to any.....canned tune. It's designed to be applied to dozens of different engines, running different gasolines, in different climates, in different elevations, etc..

Even if you're not interested in dappling in ethanol, a custom tune IS better, becasue as already stated, not all engines are created equal, not all climates or conditions are the same, and this is the biggest one - gasoline quality and formulation can be drastically different, region to region, with some being a great deal shittier than others.

But, LMS still does an excellent job, and by all accounts their semi-tailered tuning solutions do a great job. But, a custom tune is just that extra step. And if you want to play with ethanol, as it has been proven here, even without any modifications to the 13+ fuel system, it opens up a new world for an engine tuner.

If you're okay with sticking with reformulated E10 or conversational gas, and aren't interested in data logging and email correspondence and all of that, LMS is a super easy, great tuning solution with excellent, noticeable results. The Men's Warehouse of tunes.

Unleashed can be your tailer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

SHOnUup

Quote from: wasinger3000 on August 26, 2014, 04:36:20 PM

It's not the device that dictates the final tune. It's the man behind the computer that is adjusting the parameters according to what he sees from the data log. That is what makes a true custom tune that is far superior in my eyes than a tune that has not been testes on your exact car.

Let's say your car has a less than perfect internals, be it carbon build up on the valves, fuel pump flows less than expected, injector is clogged and so on. When you load that cute little tune from LMS to your car and go for a hot lap without knowing if it's the right fit for your car you are potentially in store for damaged parts right away or even 50k down the road.

Same story now only with unleased tuning, after you load his tune you take it out and do a data log, send it in, and he says something like, hey it looks like your car is a little low on fuel pressure or he notices knock at a certain event so he adjust according to the issues he sees need adjusting.

Make sense?
Good points. As all tuned vehicles should be monitored(a no brainer to me). As I monitor, if I was seeing some noticeable knock or fuel issues I would also call LMS (no weird knock readings and it runs like a raped ape) for different style tune as they have many available.

If tuning a car "not made so equal", wouldn't the tuning be to take away timing and slow the car down. Thus being more of a candidate for not tuning at all?

This is just fun debate type stuff, please don't take it personal as I am still learning the ins and outs of these cars.

To utter earlier phrase, thankfully we have at least 2 great tuners to satisfy all sides of the fence.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 26, 2014, 04:54:27 PM
Quote from: wasinger3000 on August 26, 2014, 04:36:20 PM

Make sense?
Good points. As all tuned vehicles should be monitored(a no brainer to me). As I monitor, if I was seeing some noticeable knock or fuel issues I would also call LMS (no weird knock readings and it runs like a raped ape) for different style tune as they have many available.

If tuning a car "not made so equal", wouldn't the tuning be to take away timing and slow the car down. Thus being more of a candidate for not tuning at all?

This is just fun debate type stuff, please don't take it personal as I am still learning the ins and outs of these cars.

To utter earlier phrase, thankfully we have at least 2 great tuners to satisfy all sides of the fence.
My examples of less than adequate conditions are just one scenario that a custom tune is beneficial. A more applicable example would have positive power gains. Your tune from LMS does not adjust for your cars specific needs. The car can only adjust for abnormalities to an extent.

I prefer to have my tune built around the data my car provides. Rather than the test car that was run on the dyno for awhile. It's the logical, sensible, and economical choice in my opinion.

Then there is the e30 customization that I have found amazing results from.

I do not belong to anyone's side. I made my choice bases on the options we are given. I went with what I found was best.

ShoBoat

Ok here is a question, LMS stated that they cannot tune any further 13+ due to fuel limitations. That the XV1 for example must be accompanied my a meth solution. So how come Unleashed can tune for e30? That is has been stated on here that the 13+ cars have more flow capabilities.

I am just trying to get answers, not bashing here OK!

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

I don't know why LMS cannot tune for e30...

All I know is my fuel pressure looks excellent on e30 and I make more power than you guys running the latest and greatest from the other guys. :)

It's time to set the coolaid down and try a different flavor...

IHeartGroceries

It isn't that LMS fundamentally disagrees with E tuning. They tune for E on Mustangs don't they?

The reasoning they've used here time and time again is fueling limitations on the 3.5 EB platform. Now that there's clear evidence that the 13+ fueling system supports E30 and perhaps beyond, I really don't understand what the deal is...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

ShoBoat

Quote from: wasinger3000 on August 26, 2014, 08:35:37 PM

All I know is my fuel pressure looks excellent on e30 and I make more power than you guys running the latest and greatest from the other guys. :)

Tuning for E30 doesn't really help me, I can't get anything above E10 here. But I would love to see what yours does on a Dyno.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 26, 2014, 09:19:52 PM

Quote from: wasinger3000 on August 26, 2014, 08:35:37 PM

Tuning for E30 doesn't really help me, I can't get anything above E10 here. But I would love to see what yours does on a Dyno.

New dyno in my area 6-8 weeks.

But my 1/4 stock + e is as quick as some tuned cars.