• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PPE Downpipes Installed

Started by EcoBrick Bob, June 12, 2013, 05:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoBrick Bob

I had my local shop install my PPE Downpipes today.  The cost to install was $280.  My Flex mileage was approx.  57,000.

They fit really tight, but clear everything.  The biggest issue was all 6 of the nuts on the turbo flanges had to be heated to get them loose.  The rears were the hardest because they are not as accessible. the good news was all 4 of the sensor bungs came out easily.

The other issue was the bung for the lambda sensor above the cat on the rear PPE pipe was not centered, so my installer had to grind it out and then re-tap it so the sensor bung would seal properly.

He had to remove the rear heat shield to install the pipe, but was able to re-install the shield afterwards.  That also was time consuming.

While I'm pretty handy, there was no way I could have done this at home, and likely not if I had access to a lift, simply because of the difficulty in removing the stock pipes.

I can tell the difference in performance with the stock tune still installed.  The turbos seem to be slightly more noticeable, but the overall exhaust sound is not much different than before.  Of course I have Magnaflow mufflers on the rear. 

I did not install my x-pipe midpipe that deletes the 3rd cat and mid-muffler as I wanted to see how much difference the PPE pipes made by themselves. 

I plan to log as stock, then do logging with various tunes.  Then I will add my  NESHO x-pipe which has been designed to easily bolt in and out.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

SHOdded

Great notes, EBB!  Looking forward to updates on how these downpipes work 4 u with the tunes & xpipe  :biggrin:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

EcoPowerParts

Great write up Bob, looking forward to the logs.
:)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

bnoon

One note: A couple of long extensions on a 3/8" drive socket and the rear DP nuts are easily accessible!