• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" SHO and Flex convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves

Started by EcoPowerParts, May 08, 2013, 03:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

You have a '15 SHO, right?  The oil could be a break-in period thing also.  Switching to full synthetic could decrease this issue due to lower volatility.  Probably the major concern would be oil collection in the CAC.  If the problem gets worse over time, say by 7,500 miles or so, then a good catchcan system can be very useful.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mrpositraction

Quote from: SHOdded on October 09, 2014, 09:16:11 AM
You have a '15 SHO, right?  The oil could be a break-in period thing also.  Switching to full synthetic could decrease this issue due to lower volatility.  Probably the major concern would be oil collection in the CAC.  If the problem gets worse over time, say by 7,500 miles or so, then a good catchcan system can be very useful.

Yeah, mine is a 15.  My dealer offers 1st oil changes free and I had them change it over with Ford oil at 2500 miles.  Will probably change oil again near 7500 miles and switch to a full synthetic like I have in the past.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on October 09, 2014, 12:15:47 PM
Hopefully the full syn will help protect the turbos better as well!

Gonna disagree here Manu... No test I am aware of shows any better lubrication with syn vs hydrocarbon from the earth.....
But by going to Amsoil full syn you can get the lowest oil volatility.... Vaporized oil is bad with the recirc BOVs from the hotpipes to the intake like we have on the 3.5 GDI  engine.... So I'd also recommend BOV to VTA to cut down on this .... Even with a catch can.

So full syn will help a lot to prevent/slow coking intake valves and turbo blades... But no increased lubrication.   Ford syn is not bad, but much worse than the best.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Well, I was thinking of the bearing scar tests.  If the oil has a better design, it is providing better protection from wear.  Which implies smoother running turbos, engine bearings, camshafts, etc.  Even if MC is not the best, the full syn should be better than their syn blend, but true, yet to find an actual direct comparison (looking).  If you are constantly exercising the twins, best to go with the best, no doubt.  But for "sedate"/normal DD, MC full syn should be fine, theoretically :)

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on October 10, 2014, 06:32:28 AM
Well, I was thinking of the bearing scar tests.  If the oil has a better design, it is providing better protection from wear.  Which implies smoother running turbos, engine bearings, camshafts, etc.  Even if MC is not the best, the full syn should be better than their syn blend, but true, yet to find an actual direct comparison (looking).  If you are constantly exercising the twins, best to go with the best, no doubt.  But for "sedate"/normal DD, MC full syn should be fine, theoretically :)
Definitely agree.... Double my cost/ quart... Much cheaper than new turbos!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

Quote from: BiGMaC on October 10, 2014, 01:33:37 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on October 09, 2014, 12:15:47 PM
Hopefully the full syn will help protect the turbos better as well!

Gonna disagree here Manu... No test I am aware of shows any better lubrication with syn vs hydrocarbon from the earth.....
But by going to Amsoil full syn you can get the lowest oil volatility.... Vaporized oil is bad with the recirc BOVs from the hotpipes to the intake like we have on the 3.5 GDI  engine.... So I'd also recommend BOV to VTA to cut down on this .... Even with a catch can.

So full syn will help a lot to prevent/slow coking intake valves and turbo blades... But no increased lubrication.   Ford syn is not bad, but much worse than the best.

Synthetic Oil is less susceptible to coking than conventional oil , a major plus in a GDI engine

In a turbocharged engine it is much better than conventional as it does not lose its viscosity at high temp extremes.   

Conventional oil will start to sludge while the synthetics will hold at those temperatures
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

polskifacet

This absolutely doesn't work on a 2013 SHO. The bovs bleed out all the pressure during acceleration for some reason so you can't build boost. SIGH. Would have been sweet if it did work.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Wojomojo

Quote from: polskifacet on April 29, 2015, 12:01:06 PM
This absolutely doesn't work on a 2013 SHO. The bovs bleed out all the pressure during acceleration for some reason so you can't build boost. SIGH. Would have been sweet if it did work.
That shouldn't be the case. The blow off valves only open during a throttle let off under boost. Either way the air gets blown into the air intake piping, which isn't under pressure. Whether it is routed to atmosphere or the intake piping, nothing should change. So if this is the case you are either doing something wrong or something is wrong with your car.
Justin "Wojo"

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO - non-pp, 20's, nav, massage seats - Torrie Tuned, Dynomax Mufflers, Magnaflow x pipe (3rd cat + resonator delete), 3 bar map, airaid CAI, SP534 .030 plugs. Meth injection and 170 degree thermostat soon! Plastidipped rims and other accessories. 344awhp and 375 awtq on a mustang dyno called "The Heart Breaker"

polskifacet

I will make sure the bov electrical connectors didn't fall off or something but this issue wasn't present when the bovs were recirc.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Wilson

Quote from: polskifacet on April 29, 2015, 12:01:06 PM
My 2013 says otherwise. If you're bleeding pressure during acceleration something else is going on.

Wilson

2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

polskifacet

Sorry dudes, thanks for the quick response. I forgot to connect the little vacuum tube since I removed the whole intake pipe to get to the rear bov.

Wojomojo

Justin "Wojo"

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO - non-pp, 20's, nav, massage seats - Torrie Tuned, Dynomax Mufflers, Magnaflow x pipe (3rd cat + resonator delete), 3 bar map, airaid CAI, SP534 .030 plugs. Meth injection and 170 degree thermostat soon! Plastidipped rims and other accessories. 344awhp and 375 awtq on a mustang dyno called "The Heart Breaker"

Sabtaj1

13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/