• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" SHO and Flex convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves

Started by EcoPowerParts, May 08, 2013, 03:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: glock-coma on April 05, 2014, 09:39:45 PM
I've been VTA for about a year now, but now that I'm tuned it sounds completely different. Sometimes its a ppsshhh sound but now its almost like a  whistle. Like in this video.
Unleashed Tuning's 2010 SHO Turbo BOV: http://youtu.be/v4Nz2MeLA1E

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+firm shift+boost
more to come.....

Cool.... can hardly wait to see if I get the same sound with the double sized VTA opening on the PPE hotpipes... hopefully by Wednesday.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 05, 2014, 10:16:05 PM

Cool.... can hardly wait to see if I get the same sound with the double sized VTA opening on the PPE downpipes... hopefully by Wednesday.

HUH ???  ???  In the dark on that one ... 
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Quote from: SwampRat on April 05, 2014, 10:20:48 PM

Cool.... can hardly wait to see if I get the same sound with the double sized VTA opening on the PPE downpipes... hopefully by Wednesday.

The factory BoV set-up on the hotpipes has exactly twice the vent area (two vent holes for each BoV)... more opening size, same pressure and volume.. may be less whistle... dunno 'til i get my SHO back Tues evening and then get the tune loaded.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SwampRat

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 05, 2014, 11:46:40 PM

The factory BoV set-up on the hotpipes has exactly twice the vent area (two vent holes for each BoV)... more opening size, same pressure and volume.. may be less whistle... dunno 'til i get my SHO back Tues evening and then get the tune loaded.

Ok ya must have had an old fart brain fart moment when you said  " downpipes " earlier .   L O L
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Quote from: SwampRat on April 05, 2014, 11:55:33 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on April 05, 2014, 11:46:40 PM

Ok ya must have had an old fart brain fart moment when you said  " downpipes " earlier .   L O L
:homer:

JimiJak

Officially joined the VTA crew yesterday, took about 10min. Decided to go the ole' 1" rubber chair foot route for now.

Also, found a couple different ideas out there to 'enhance' the blow off noise. GoFastBits offers a trumpet that attaches to their blow-off valves (one for 13psi+ and one for 13 and under)...makes me wonder if something like this could be attached to the 1" port to make it louder or more 'whistley'.

Anyone interested in something like this? or too ricey?
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

APsychoOne

I was wondering if anyone offered anything like that to "enhance" the sound.  Granted, it's just noise fluff.  But you can barely hear it outside the car.
2011 Kona Blue Ford Taurus SHO ~ Unleashed Tune 12.7@108MPH 1.82 60'
1998 Silver Dodge Viper GTS
2004 Blue Yamaha YZF-R1

Wilson

Dumb question, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right (planning on knocking it out next weekend when I'm back in town). The rubber chair tips go on the returns and the (optional) K&N filters would go on the blow off valve's, correct?
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

crash712us

Quote from: Wilson on April 11, 2014, 05:01:10 PM
Dumb question, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right (planning on knocking it out next weekend when I'm back in town). The rubber chair tips go on the returns and the (optional) K&N filters would go on the blow off valve's, correct?
you got it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

BiGMaC

Quote from: Wilson on April 11, 2014, 05:01:10 PM

I view capping the exit on the BoVs as optional.  I do have EBPF hotpipes.  So appearance was good and I get a more audible Pffft, no turbo whine even running LMS v8.  I do not have any evidence of oil, etc. under hood or or on/in the BoV outlet ports (polished bright aluminum)... I question restricting thes ports personally.  So I think optional for the filters.
BTW... Another reason I am researching utility of a catch can again before I install it.

Wilson

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 11, 2014, 05:11:18 PM
I view capping the exit on the BoVs as optional.  I do have EBPF hotpipes.  So appearance was good and I get a more audible Pffft, no turbo whine even running LMS v8.  I do not have any evidence of oil, etc. under hood or or the BoV outlet ports (polished bright aluminum)... I question restricting thes ports personally.  So I think optional for the filters.
BTW... Another reason I am researching utility of a catch can again before I install it.

That's why I wanted to confirm the K&N piece as well.  I don't want to just leave the blow off valves sitting there wide open, but I wasn't sure if the K&N filters would restrict the ability to dump pressure.
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

JimiJak

Quote from: Wilson on April 11, 2014, 05:40:09 PM
...I don't want to just leave the blow off valves sitting there wide open...

Out of curiosity, why not?

When the valve is closed, the opening is just a port; it doesn't go anywhere. When the eBOVs are open there is positive pressure, so my understanding is that there's really no way for anything to enter the system past the eBOVs even without a filter.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

BiGMaC

Quote from: Wilson on April 11, 2014, 05:40:09 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on April 11, 2014, 05:11:18 PM
I view capping the exit on the BoVs as optional.  I do have EBPF hotpipes.  So appearance was good and I get a more audible Pffft, no turbo whine even running LMS v8.  I do not have any evidence of oil, etc. under hood or or the BoV outlet ports (polished bright aluminum)... I question restricting thes ports personally.  So I think optional for the filters.

That's why I wanted to confirm the K&N piece as well.  I don't want to just leave the blow off valves sitting there wide open, but I wasn't sure if the K&N filters would restrict the ability to dump pressure.

I can't think of a way to even test it... so on the hotpipes I had the number of ports doubled... the actual valve seat and BoV plunger  are visible... No problems for 1800 miles or even when I had the engine detailed and a pressure washer was used.  I have the concern also... just don't know which is best.... need to think of a way to prove it one way or the other.

Woody

As another alternative to those interested, I only disconnected from the BOV side and left the intake side of the tubes attached.  I then found the appropriate size "plug", which turned out to be a 1/2" PVC Cap.  I pushed the caps into the tubs and pulled the clamp back up over the caps.  Seems to be working well so far, and should be easier to reattached to stock if I want to for warranty work.

BiGMaC

Quote from: Woody on April 23, 2014, 12:28:38 PM
As another alternative to those interested, I only disconnected from the BOV side and left the intake side of the tubes attached.  I then found the appropriate size "plug", which turned out to be a 1/2" PVC Cap.  I pushed the caps into the tubs and pulled the clamp back up over the caps.  Seems to be working well so far, and should be easier to reattached to stock if I want to for warranty work.

Definitely quick and easy!

My dealer considers it "air in - air out" as I left the EPP hotpipes (VTA and delete the noisemaker) in place.  No problems.