• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" SHO and Flex convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves

Started by EcoPowerParts, May 08, 2013, 03:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

I just converted my factory BoV to FTA on my Flex today.
What does this do for you?
Nothing but making a PFFFFT noise when you lift the throttle under boost.
Is there any downsides to this?
No, the car is speed desnsity so releasing the air from the turbos to atmosphere when the blow off valves open does not negatively impact the tune, factory or modified.

BTW, I couldn't find 1" vacuum "nipples" to block off the factory tubing so I went to Home Depot and searched around, found some 1" rubber chair leg "tips" to use, worked pretty good so far.

Front Blow off Valve and blocked off tube

Another shot of the factory Blow off Valve with the return tube removed - vent to atmosphere

Close up of rear portion of intake tubing with blow off valve return hose removed and blocked off. For me easiest way to get to this area and remove tubing was to remove the intake tubing and rotate to access the clamp that held the tubing onto the blow off valve.

Rear Blow off Valve

Complete turbo to intercooler pipe with Blow off Valves circled

EDIT: Found some rubber caps to use instead of rubber chair leg bottoms
http://www.mcmaster.com/#92805K28

Updated pictures with the new caps on from mcmaster - didn't know they were going to be red :(
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

PopolZ

On the SHO we already have the PFFFFT because of the "noise generator". Mine is sitting in the trunk since it's been replaced with an HKS SSQV III BOV.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, non-PP, Steel Blue #243 of 301 - Custom tune by Torrie@Unleashed, PPE non-catted downpipes, custom 3rd cat & resonator delete, water/meth injection, HKS SSQV3 BOV and Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

1991 Nissan Skyline GTR, Pearl Black Metallic - a few goodies

bnoon

I just disconnected mine last night and took a trip around the block to make sure it didn't have any issues before I started buying intake parts.

EcoBrick Bob

2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: PopolZ on May 08, 2013, 05:33:52 PM
On the SHO we already have the PFFFFT because of the "noise generator". Mine is sitting in the trunk since it's been replaced with an HKS SSQV III BOV.

I just looked up an article on the BoV installation on your guys car.
So, now I'm looking at buying a SHO intake tube that goes from TB to IC and then have Paul make a tube that replaces the SHO/Flex back turbo to IC tube with no holes in it for BoV.
This way an aftermarket BoV can be added to the intake tract and the factory BoV can be removed entirely.
We're looking at a way to make a plug and play resistor to replace the factory BoV as well so no CEL

Hmm that part is AA5Z-6F073-B - $110... More research to do :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

bnoon

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on May 09, 2013, 10:19:31 AM
WHY?

"What difference does it make?"  (H. Clinton)  LOL :bangin:

The reason I'm doing it is to make super shorty intakes, basically just filters on the turbos. I don't care about IAT, only boost temps. This will simplify and eliminate a lot of hardware real estate under the hood for when I go liquid to air intercooler.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: bnoon on May 09, 2013, 12:48:00 PM
WHY?

The reason I'm doing it is to make super shorty intakes, basically just filters on the turbos. I don't care about IAT, only boost temps. This will simplify and eliminate a lot of hardware real estate under the hood for when I go liquid to air intercooler.
Keep me in the loop on this, I'm looking at doing that after I get fueling/turbos installed in a month or two.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

EcoPowerParts

www.ecopowerparts.com -

bnoon

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on May 09, 2013, 12:56:37 PM
Quote from: bnoon on May 09, 2013, 12:48:00 PM
WHY?

Keep me in the loop on this, I'm looking at doing that after I get fueling/turbos installed in a month or two.

Sure will. Do you know the turbo's factory inlet diameter? Looks to be around or just under 2 inches but I can't tell for sure without disassembly.

EcoPowerParts

I don't think even 2", I'll have my stock-upgraded turbos back soon I'll take a measurement. In discussing the factory IC, I think I can pick up another 30+HP just by going with a water to air IC, I've been considering installing the heat exchanger in place of the factory IC as there will be space there, just need to find a core that is sized appropriately for that.
I'm going to be putting my water resevior in the rear spare tire area, I'm going to have a custom nitrous tank/water resevior built for back there when I do the IC upgrade.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

bnoon

Since I don't go full bore racing with mine, I won't even have a remote resevoir for mine. Just the largest h\e I can fit and a small overflow bottle for the pressure release lid.

EcoBrick Bob

Don't quote me, but I think I remember Darreli saying the inlet is        1 1/2" as the Hennessey CAI system he bought a couple years ago didn't have a reducer/taper and just went from 2" to 1 1/2".
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoBrick Bob

With your nitrous system you might get that extra HP, but my MCT temps running 75% methanol went below outside temp, so not sure how much cooler one could go with liquid IC, unless the liquid would be at a temp much below ambient.  Guess one could cool it with A/C system..

EcoPowerParts

www.ecopowerparts.com -

EcoBrick Bob