• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3 bar tune

Started by SHOnUup, July 28, 2014, 09:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucelinc

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 02, 2014, 01:55:49 PM
Before 3 bar I would get a max of .5 degree of knock (timing pulled) ...now from a stop and brake boosting I get a steady 0, but when going wot from a roll it pulls 2 degrees...hmmm?

I have seen up to 2 degrees pulled but it was in a lugging condition - like accelerating from 1000 RPM in 6th gear manual mode.  I was actually trying to lug it to see how much, if any, timing it would pull.  I haven't seen the timing pull at WOT but I will try again from a slow roll and report back.

SHOnUup

Quote from: Brucelinc on August 02, 2014, 03:43:35 PM
Before 3 bar I would get a max of .5 degree of knock (timing pulled) ...now from a stop and brake boosting I get a steady 0, but when going wot from a roll it pulls 2 degrees...hmmm?

I have seen up to 2 degrees pulled but it was in a lugging condition - like accelerating from 1000 RPM in 6th gear manual mode.  I was actually trying to lug it to see how much, if any, timing it would pull.  I haven't seen the timing pull at WOT but I will try again from a slow roll and report back.
Appreciate the feedback. Didn't see what gear I was in when I pulled 2*. Really nice seeing a flat 0 from a stop though!
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Larrylu

Quote from: Brucelinc on August 02, 2014, 03:43:35 PM

I got a 7 positive reading today so I'm paying close attention now. I tried to duplicate the reading and it seems that I need a slight uphill to load the car, need to be in 6th and I need to give as little throttle as possible. A little too much throttle and the knock retard starts going less positive. Even more throttle and the reading goes negative. WOT is no problem. I've got to bring the car to the dealership next week for the tranny eval so maybe I'll flash back to stock and see what kind of knock retard I pull with that. Might be interesting to try the 4+ again just to measure the knock retard reading with that tune as well.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

SHOnUup

Haven't had a chance to test again, but yesterday I was trying soft pedal on e-way at 70 in 6th gear and would instantly get negative #'s. No hills, and still right on par with the 4++ tune without 3 bar. Think I'm gonna put just a few gauges on a screen in torque to help with lag time and go for a nice ride tomorrow.
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

That 7 is in the scary range though.

BiGMaC

If you flash back to stock you will see the same changes.  Moral... Don't lug.... Give enough throttle to get a downshift...  Safer.... And quicker.  The 3.5TT apparently was meant to accelerate fairly hard by design.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Larrylu

Quote from: BiGMaC on August 03, 2014, 12:05:55 AM
If you flash back to stock you will see the same changes.  Moral... Don't lug.... Give enough throttle to get a downshift...  Safer.... And quicker.  The 3.5TT apparently was meant to accelerate fairly hard by design.
Just so you have an accurate visualization, my 7 reading was attained at highway speed on cruise. We are talking very slight uphill and minimum throttle. If you drive interstates and use cruise or drive as smoothly as cruise you could not avoid my experience.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

SHOnUup

Quote from: Larrylu on August 03, 2014, 07:32:09 AM

Quote from: BiGMaC on August 03, 2014, 12:05:55 AM
Just so you have an accurate visualization, my 7 reading was attained at highway speed on cruise. We are talking very slight uphill and minimum throttle. If you drive interstates and use cruise or drive as smoothly as cruise you could not avoid my experience.
I read here before that people were getting "knock" by light pedaling it on e-way at cruising speeds. So I've tried this many times and cannot get knock. About to coffee up and either go test driving or golfing.

SHOnUup

Hill is the variable here I bet. Land yacht up hill protecting itself.

That gauge setup is sweet looking BTW Larry

Brucelinc

I am an idiot!  Somehow, my simple brain got the readings backwards...I was thinking negative meant knock detected and timing retarded.  I need to do some more testing and look for positive numbers.

SHOnUup

Quote from: Brucelinc on August 03, 2014, 08:28:48 AM
I am an idiot!  Somehow, my simple brain got the readings backwards...I was thinking negative meant knock detected and timing retarded.  I need to do some more testing and look for positive numbers.
I was here before also, my brain runs on large doses of common sense and this distorts that. ^-^

Brucelinc

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 03, 2014, 08:30:47 AM
I was here before also, my brain runs on large doses of common sense and this distorts that. ^-^

I know!  Hard to get my head around a minus ADDING something and a plus SUBTRACTING it.  Anyway, I will do more testing and report back.

Larrylu

Easy to get twisted up!  Yes positive knock retard reading = timing being pulled.

Larrylu

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 03, 2014, 08:04:14 AM
Hill is the variable here I bet. Land yacht up hill protecting itself.

That gauge setup is sweet looking BTW Larry
Thing is if the hill gets beyond the slightest hint of a mini-grade, the throttle is called into play enough to reduce the knock retard reading. Seems to show up in a very specific narrow situation where one would think it's not likely to hurt itself.....but still....don't like it at all!

Thanks for kind words on the display. Kind of hard to see as an icon, but It's my fav so far. I can't imagine how many variations it's gone through in it's evolution. I probably have maybe $400 in overall cost in the set up but I've gotten a few grand worth of entertainment setting up and working the bugs out of and that's not saying anything about the enjoyment in everyday use!

SHOnUup

You could post a good pic of it in the PID thread for us all to drool over...lol