• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3 bar tune

Started by SHOnUup, July 28, 2014, 09:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

Did notice a weird sound when barely getting into boost and letting off the pedal quick. Almost like a slightly wet piece of rubber getting rubbed on glass...maybe lower pitched sneaker on dept store floor?
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Brucelinc

Yes, that is a characteristic of it  - a "whonk" noise.  Someone referred to it as a dying duck noise.  I haven't heard a good explanation for it but everyone with the 4X/3bar tune has it.

SHOnUup

Quote from: Brucelinc on July 29, 2014, 09:58:30 PM
Yes, that is a characteristic of it  - a "whonk" noise.  Someone referred to it as a dying duck noise.  I haven't heard a good explanation for it but everyone with the 4X/3bar tune has it.
Ha...I've read this before today and still didn't connect the duck noise. Bet it sounds like a duck next time. Not there when getting off the throttle at full boost, just when lightly in it. Wasn't to long of a cruise though.
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

Could this be a noise caused by a vibrating valve of some sort that's open...causing the duck sound...

SHOnUup

Quote from: SHOdded on July 29, 2014, 09:42:24 PM
OT:  which MyCal do you have, you guys?  The latest non-touch one?  WickedSHO needs help pulling the strategy code.
What's the issue?

SHOdded

He was looking for directions to pull the strategy code using the tuner so he can get tuned correctly.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Quote from: SHOdded on July 30, 2014, 05:23:37 AM
He was looking for directions to pull the strategy code using the tuner so he can get tuned correctly.
Was he successful? I went to LMS for this, but would troubleshoot it this morning if help is still needed.

Brucelinc

LMS already had my strategy code so I didn't need to pull it when I got the MyCal so I am no help with that.

Regarding the dying duck sound:  It makes the noise whether you have the BOVs vented to atmosphere or left hooked up to the recirc tube.  I tried it both ways and the noise was the same either way.  Anthony said it was due to higher boost but I am not so sure since we get it more after a low boost situation than high boost.  It does, however, seem to be related to a release of boost - however slight.  Maybe it is a result of boost at a lower RPM than the earlier tunes???

panther427

OK so this is my idea on the duck call sound.  Bear in mind I'm not using lms and have not heard this in person..

It actually makes more sense that it makes the noise at lower boost.  Your seeing more boost at lower rpm and the bov are only opening part way like they would with less boost.  You have a higher volume and pressure of air being vented through a partial opening.  So you get a new sound.   Kinda like a real animal call or music instrument.
2013 SHO

Brucelinc

Panther, I think you are right on with that explanation!

SHOdded

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 30, 2014, 07:19:42 AM
Was he successful? I went to LMS for this, but would troubleshoot it this morning if help is still needed.
Still waiting on LMS response at last word.  I've "shouted" him of your offer to help, may contact you via PM.  Thanks :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Quote from: panther427 on July 30, 2014, 11:05:16 AM
OK so this is my idea on the duck call sound.  Bear in mind I'm not using lms and have not heard this in person..

It actually makes more sense that it makes the noise at lower boost.  Your seeing more boost at lower rpm and the bov are only opening part way like they would with less boost.  You have a higher volume and pressure of air being vented through a partial opening.  So you get a new sound.   Kinda like a real animal call or music instrument.
This makes a lot of sense to me.

SHOnUup

Quote from: SHOdded on July 30, 2014, 02:05:13 PM
Quote from: SHOnUup on July 30, 2014, 07:19:42 AM
Still waiting on LMS response at last word.  I've "shouted" him of your offer to help, may contact you via PM.  Thanks :)
Think I may have figured it out for em. Haven't got another pm since I sent directions.

SHOnUup

Quote from: Brucelinc on July 30, 2014, 08:00:14 AM
LMS already had my strategy code so I didn't need to pull it when I got the MyCal so I am no help with that.

Regarding the dying duck sound:  It makes the noise whether you have the BOVs vented to atmosphere or left hooked up to the recirc tube.  I tried it both ways and the noise was the same either way.  Anthony said it was due to higher boost but I am not so sure since we get it more after a low boost situation than high boost.  It does, however, seem to be related to a release of boost - however slight.  Maybe it is a result of boost at a lower RPM than the earlier tunes???
The learning curve seems to change as we learn some things with these ECO's.

SHOnUup

Before 3 bar I would get a max of .5 degree of knock (timing pulled) ...now from a stop and brake boosting I get a steady 0, but when going wot from a roll it pulls 2 degrees...hmmm?