• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Troubelshooting: BOV Opening Under Acceleration

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, July 25, 2014, 06:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 30, 2014, 11:58:33 AM
You need to view the desired boost vs actual boost as well as actual waste gate vs commanded. That's the only way you will know if one of the BOV's is failing. That way you have factual data to compare. Just listening to it won't be enough.

The only simple/quick thing I can think to do is have someone in the car, apply parking brake, put the car in gear, do a standing brake boost to full throttle while you hold your hand by the BOV to see how much boost is being dumped compared to the front bov.
I set up torque for the first time this morning and did not see any gauges for the option of desired boost, actual boost, actual waste gate and commanded. Is this something that can be monitored?
All I can confirm at this point is that the car never had audible noise from the BOV while VTA while accelerating before I got it back from the dealer. Something has changed since they have had it and I just want to help point them in the right direction once the dealer techs start looking.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

wasinger3000

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on July 30, 2014, 12:04:33 PM
You need to view the desired boost vs actual boost as well as actual waste gate vs commanded. That's the only way you will know if one of the BOV's is failing. That way you have factual data to compare. Just listening to it won't be enough.

The only simple/quick thing I can think to do is have someone in the car, apply parking brake, put the car in gear, do a standing brake boost to full throttle while you hold your hand by the BOV to see how much boost is being dumped compared to the front bov.
I set up torque for the first time this morning and did not see any gauges for the option of desired boost, actual boost, actual waste gate and commanded. Is this something that can be monitored?
All I can confirm at this point is that the car never had audible noise from the BOV while VTA while accelerating before I got it back from the dealer. Something has changed since they have had it and I just want to help point them in the right direction once the dealer techs start looking.
You can try to use FORScan. Torque won't have those PID's unless you enter them in. That would be more of a question for the the other guys that are exceptional with torque.

As for pointing them in the right direction, it's either going to be to obvious that you know more than you should or it will be vague and they will spend days looking for it. All you can really do is try to pin point a boost leak or do what I said with the brake boost. The car will build boost just like if you were driving it. That's the only way you can find where the boost is going.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SRT82ECOBOOST

I think I can say with 100% surety that the boost is being passed via the BOV's. That is why I put them to VTA so I could hear when they were operating and they were dumping boost while accelerating under anything above 50% throttle position.
So the cause of this is either that the BOV's have both simultaneously failed(which I doubt) or the car's computer is telling the BOV's to dump boost because it is seeing a less than favorable condition.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

Jtrain

If you actually do this, video tape it. I really want to see this.
2004 G35: Built Motor 8.8:1, Single Disc Kevlar Clutch, 3" Dual Turbo Back, G18 Twin Turbos, 18PSI, 600 Wheel HP
2007 Jeep SRT8 13.4 @104 Sold for....
2014 Ford Explorer Sport: K&N, .030 NGK plugs, 170 Tstat, 3Bar sensor, Tuned with SCT Tuner

wasinger3000

Quote from: Jtrain on July 30, 2014, 01:11:33 PM

If you actually do this, video tape it. I really want to see this.
Haha. What you don't think I've done it before?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

Jtrain

Well, When I had my car tuned. It would lung forward when i did the break/ebrake gas thing... Soooo
2004 G35: Built Motor 8.8:1, Single Disc Kevlar Clutch, 3" Dual Turbo Back, G18 Twin Turbos, 18PSI, 600 Wheel HP
2014 Ford Explorer Sport: K&N, .030 NGK plugs, 170 Tstat, 3Bar sensor, Tuned with SCT Tuner

wasinger3000

Quote from: Jtrain on July 30, 2014, 01:25:27 PM
Well, When I had my car tuned. It would lung forward when i did the break/ebrake gas thing... Soooo
You should bulk up your left leg then.. lol. Cause I apply a very heavy left foot and the car does not move.

My brakes are quite stout though.

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on July 30, 2014, 12:04:33 PM

There is an entire thread on this in the datalogging section (desired boost vs. actual boost)

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3141.0.html
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Jtrain

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 30, 2014, 01:28:38 PM
You should bulk up your left leg then.. lol. Cause I apply a very heavy left foot and the car does not move.

I think 4WD is a more likely explanation.

wasinger3000

Quote from: Jtrain on July 30, 2014, 02:01:01 PM

Yes.   Lol. Just giving you a hard time.

Jtrain

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 30, 2014, 02:50:31 PM
Quote from: Jtrain on July 30, 2014, 02:01:01 PM

Yes.   Lol. Just giving you a hard time.

Do I have to pay you? *bites lip*

Spenser281

To the OP, I'm sure you've already fixed this issue, but in case you haven't, check this hose.  It is right behind the front BOV.  Mine came off while I was moving the charge tube around to change spark plugs.  Never noticed it.  Drove the car afterward and the BOV's were constantly opening and closing under acceleration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2010 SHO

Work in progress....

Agentlongwood

Quote from: Spenser281 on August 18, 2016, 07:42:36 AM
...check this hose.  It is right behind the front BOV...

Holy crap this thread just saved my bacon.  On my way to work today, I got on the throttle and the car made all kinds of awful noises, BOV was venting weird, no power.  Had a minor heart attack, thinking something majorly broke.  Happened to read this.  Went downstairs and sure enough, this hose had popped off.  Phew... Thank you forum gurus.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

SHOdded

I would get Brad to come over right away and clamp down those hoses for ya :P
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Agentlongwood

Quote from: SHOdded on March 15, 2018, 11:17:08 AM
I would get Brad to come over right away and clamp down those hoses for ya :P

You joke but I do need to clamp it.  The hose keeps popping off, lol.  When I looked at the end of the hose there was a layer of wet black oily gunk.  It's all slicked up so the hose slides right on and off.  In addition to the clamp, it looks to me like its time to invest in a catch can...
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes