• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ford To Fix Smoky Engines On Explorer, Taurus, Flex, MKS, MKT

Started by Scott13SHO, June 25, 2014, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmr061

Give me your email and I can send it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason
16 Edge Sport

Brucelinc

I found the information below online.  Unless the car is exhibiting these symptoms, I doubt that the TSB would be applied under warranty.

FORD:
2010-2014 Flex, Taurus
2013-2014 Explorer
LINCOLN:
2010-2014 MKS, MKT
ISSUE
Some 2010-2014 Flex, MKS, MKT, Taurus and 2013-2014 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L Gasoline
Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) engine with an aluminum valve cover may exhibit excessive oil consumption and/or
excessive engine oil smoking condition from the tail pipe at idle during normal engine operating temperatures.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) Valve. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-08.
2. Inspect for oil in the crankcase vent oil separator through the PCV valve opening. Is there presence of liquid oil, more
than slight vapor?
a. No - this article does not apply refer to WSM, Section 303-00 for Excessive Engine Oil Consumption.
b. Yes - proceed to Step 3.
3. Replace the right hand valve cover, refer to WSM, Section 303-01D.
4. Replace the crankcase vent oil separator, refer to WSM, Section 303-08.
5. Drive the vehicle at normal operating temperature for 20 minutes at constant highway speed to remove oil residue
from catalytic converter.

shoman04

I had talk with some other car guys about intake cleaning. We think that having and using METH will help keep the intake and vale clean to. What do you guys think?
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

ShoBoat

I believe that I already stated that we should petition FMC to call a TSB for the installation of meth kits on all Ecoboost cars and trucks. And all future cars and trucks should come equipped with a meth kit from the factory! ;) clean engine, check. More powa, check.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

shoman04

Quote from: ShoBoat on June 27, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
I believe that I already stated that we should petition FMC to call a TSB for the installation of meth kits on all Ecoboost cars and trucks. And all future cars and trucks should come equipped with a meth kit from the factory! ;) clean engine, check. More powa, check.

This problem not just a Ford problem but all DI (w/with out) turbo do this. So far nobody have fix but to keep PCV oil out intake, Add METH, or take the intake off and clean offend. Or do all three because the 1st two just delay the need of the 3rd step. OH!OH!!OH!!!OH!!!! I JUST HURT MY BRAIN WITH A IDEAL. CHEEP FIX add sprayer nozzle into the intake so every time you change the oil you do a spray out cleaning on DI engine. Ha DR I want Royalties from EcoPwrParts.LOL
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

Tuner Boost

And meth inj will help some, it would need to be spraying all the time to really make a difference.  Stop the oil from ingestion from the start and the issue is no more.

bpd1151

Quote from: Tuner Boost on June 28, 2014, 09:39:37 AM
And meth inj will help some, it would need to be spraying all the time to really make a difference.

Spraying (meth) all the time can be arranged.

::)

crash712us

I hear that! I've gone thru 55gals of meth in about 3yrs. I've got all the empties stacked in the garage to prove it.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

noidster

Quote from: Brucelinc on June 26, 2014, 08:28:59 AM
I found the information below online.  Unless the car is exhibiting these symptoms, I doubt that the TSB would be applied under warranty.

FORD:
2010-2014 Flex, Taurus
2013-2014 Explorer
LINCOLN:
2010-2014 MKS, MKT
ISSUE
Some 2010-2014 Flex, MKS, MKT, Taurus and 2013-2014 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L Gasoline
Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) engine with an aluminum valve cover may exhibit excessive oil consumption and/or
excessive engine oil smoking condition from the tail pipe at idle during normal engine operating temperatures.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) Valve. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-08.
2. Inspect for oil in the crankcase vent oil separator through the PCV valve opening. Is there presence of liquid oil, more
than slight vapor?
a. No - this article does not apply refer to WSM, Section 303-00 for Excessive Engine Oil Consumption.
b. Yes - proceed to Step 3.
3. Replace the right hand valve cover, refer to WSM, Section 303-01D.
4. Replace the crankcase vent oil separator, refer to WSM, Section 303-08.
5. Drive the vehicle at normal operating temperature for 20 minutes at constant highway speed to remove oil residue
from catalytic converter.

Gave X-sport it's first oil change. Switched to amsoil. What I did notice is that there was slightly more than four quarts of the old oil in the car after the drain. So I guess we will be headed to the dealer about this TSB.  Car currently has 5k.
2016 Explorer Sport, Liv Tune, T stat, intake,

jmr061

Thought I might just check for oil myself however the service manual states the pcv locking mechanism is damaged when removed therefore a new pcv must be installed.  Has anyone had theirs out and just out it back?

Jason
16 Edge Sport

whoapony

So does this also fix the foul smell in the cabin after acceleration?