• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

100 Octane Race Gas Use

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, May 20, 2014, 07:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasinger3000

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on July 22, 2014, 12:37:02 PM
Has anyone tried the Torco race fuel concentrate? Contemplating trying it to be able to use the LMS 4x tune. If my math is correct, would add roughly $10 to each full tank. What is an average cost to add race fuel?

http://www.amazon.com/Octane-Booster-Quarts-Torco-Accelerator/dp/B005S2BKDQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406047008&sr=8-2&keywords=torco
I use it.. it works but I've found ethanol to be a better alternative.  Has more benifits.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

Brucelinc

I like the idea of ethanol but I am not sure the fuel system on Dxlint1's 2011 can handle much of it.  In the past, LMS was negative on any sort of octane booster.  I am not sure if their opinion as evolved or not.  If you add a can of Torco to a tank of 91 octane fuel, what octane is the result?

ShoBoat

Can't get e85 around here, if that works I may give it a try. Race gas is ridiculously expensive to get a full tank of 100 octane equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

BlueSHO

I've use the Torco in my Lightning and it works good. I've also used the cam 2 100 unleaded at speedway. I think it's 6.59 a gallon here
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

ZSHO

With the price of gas and and cheap ethanol mixture,i was thinking of setting up a still and putting some MOONSHINE,and I will be in the 11's before you know it,ha ha,lol.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

wasinger3000

Quote from: Brucelinc on July 22, 2014, 02:01:06 PM
I like the idea of ethanol but I am not sure the fuel system on Dxlint1's 2011 can handle much of it.  In the past, LMS was negative on any sort of octane booster.  I am not sure if their opinion as evolved or not.  If you add a can of Torco to a tank of 91 octane fuel, what octane is the result?
They have a mixing table on the back of the can. I have had great results with it. Only thing is it uses MMT which is what refineries use to raise octane. But in large dose's it can cause an orange film that covers everything the exhaust touches.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

navbtcret

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on July 22, 2014, 12:37:02 PM
Has anyone tried the Torco race fuel concentrate? Contemplating trying it to be able to use the LMS 4x tune. If my math is correct, would add roughly $10 to each full tank. What is an average cost to add race fuel?

http://www.amazon.com/Octane-Booster-Quarts-Torco-Accelerator/dp/B005S2BKDQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406047008&sr=8-2&keywords=torco

I used it with great success with my Mustang. If you do not have a dyno tune for it though you will probably not see much of gain at all. I had the car custom tunes for the torco and really liked it. So easy to use and economical. I only ran it at the track and not every day driving, had a tune just for it on my xcal.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

Dxlnt1

I'm pretty sure read somewhere as well on gas filler line to NOT use ANY ethanol in my vehicle.

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 22, 2014, 03:36:24 PM
They have a mixing table on the back of the can. I have had great results with it. Only thing is it uses MMT which is what refineries use to raise octane. But in large dose's it can cause an orange film that covers everything the exhaust touches.

And using the chart on Torco website, the octane would come to about 93 by adding 16 oz to a full tank. So that would add almost $10 per tank to use the Torco. Is that considered a lot?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SHOdded

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on July 22, 2014, 04:32:32 PMAnd using the chart on Torco website, the octane would come to about 93 by adding 16 oz to a full tank. So that would add almost $10 per tank to use the Torco. Is that considered a lot?
vs the cost of 93, yes, at 20c per gallon diff between 91 and 93.  vs nonavailability of 93, no :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Larrylu

1 can 32 oz. I believe will raise 20 gal. 4 octane. I carry a can I as emergency octane, and it cost me around $20.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Dxlnt1

Quote from: Larrylu on July 22, 2014, 05:57:23 PM
1 can 32 oz. I believe will raise 20 gal. 4 octane. I carry a can I as emergency octane, and it cost me around $20.

Which is on par with the Amazon price. But only need to use 16 oz to raise octane 2 points. We have 91 octane here in Cali.

Is car performance and mpg gain noticeable enough to warrant the cost?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Brucelinc

Dxlnt1, a 90/10 ethanol blend is fine for our cars.  That is all you can get here in Minneapolis and many other places.  Our cars should not have 100% E85, though.  Mixing up a cocktail to raise the octane is tempting, though.  I just wouldn't go too far with it though on a pre 2013 model. 

The Torco sounds like the real deal but a mix of E85 would be more economical if the fuel system will handle it.

IHeartGroceries

MMT is not widely used in the United States, and I don't believe used at all in RFG, per US governmental mandate.
There is an allowable concentration  treat rate, which is very low.

Unless I am mistaken, I don't believe its regulation is exempt from these over-the-counter type fuel treatments, either, so I'm thinking it's MMT content must be quite small.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

wasinger3000

I'm not sure if it apply to off road use though. Since this is labeled as race use only.