• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lincoln MKS Progress

Started by Woody, May 12, 2014, 10:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Not really any "type" of light... but low angle tangential lighting will show any defects just like on paint finish

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Woody

I paid to have the windows done.  The tricks he seems to use is to cut the film outside the car and use a heat gun to get it to conform to the curves of the glass before taking it inside the car to apply it.  He also places a light inside the car to help trimming the film outside.  I personally wouldn't attempt doing windows myself.

BiGMaC - I am certainly planning to get the tripod and the 5D3 out to do some night shots.  So far all the pictures I've taken of this car have been with my iPhone 5S.  The camera has gotten so much better in the phones I'm using my DSLR less and less.  But the phone will not do what a DSLR can do at night.

Thanks guys.  And good luck, Joleat.  The headlights are a breeze.  The tail lights suck.  There are some extra contours on them that you don't even notice until you start trying to stretch a film over them.  I've got a couple lines and bubbles I still need to work on.  And don't get me started on the fog lights.  Ugh.

Here is a shot from early in the process on my first tail light...

MKS Laminx-20140518-002 by Randal Smith, on Flickr

BiGMaC

One last comment on the lights... be sure to examine them first of any inject mould "nipples" or moulded writing, etc on the lens... really anything that makes the exterior surface unlevel.... they'll make bubbles every time.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

panther427

Where did you buy the film?
2013 SHO

Woody

EcoAbe

Gorgeous MKS. I love the painted fog bezels. Do you have a close up picture of them? I have been considering doing mine but haven't pulled the plug yet. Love the Ingot Silver!
2015 Bronze Fire Non PP w/ 401a package

Woody

Thanks. No close ups. They honestly don't look that great up close. I should have spent more time sanding. I broke all the clips on the large chrome bezel but just used silicon to put it back on the car and it's stayed fine.