• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What would you like to see in a new CAI?

Started by Husker02GT, July 16, 2014, 05:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinder

Quote from: SHO-Time on July 17, 2014, 02:29:44 PM
Quote from: kinder on July 17, 2014, 12:38:15 PM
It would need to be an enclosed system made from heat resistant materials that not only resist heat but don't heat soak when they do get heated. It must draw in more air than the stock set up and the inlets and tubing should be hard with a dimpled interior (like a golf ball) to promote air velocity that also has a twist in it to created a funneling effect to further increase velocity and flow.

These are random ideas in my head that may or may not work. I think that the stock set up is as good as we will have without many thousands being spent on R&D to try and create something that will pick up 1% more power and will sell in the mid hundreds.

Good to know my ideas are of value somewhere... :D 

Guess I should start patenting my ides... ;)

APR which is the Rousch of the VW/Audi world uses a company named Carbonio to make their intakes. They just came out with a new intake for the MK7 GTI and 2015 A3 (MQB platform) which utilizes an intake to your exact description. It's a very very long shot, perhaps we can reach out to Carbonio for a one-off intake? Unfortunately the SHO just doesn't have the largest aftermarket following.

http://www.carbonio.com/composites/index.html

http://www.goapr.com/products/intake_ea888_gen3_mqb.html

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Husker02GT

A little update... The car went in Sunday for some additional measurements. It was found they needed to purchase a few extra bungs to accomodate additional hoses on the air box. Additionally, they took off the front clip and looked for additional things to do. This fabricator thinks it is very possible to put together a front mount kit for the intercooler without affecting the integrity of the car. I think this is something that the crew would be very interested in. The extra parts for the intake are on order and should be in this week. I will provide additional updates as I have them.
2011 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost - 3D Carbon Spoiler - Tinted Tail lights - 35%F/15%R Window Tint - Powerstop Slotted & Drilled Brakes - MGP Lincoln Caliper Covers - Airaid Intake - MORE TO COME

2002 Ford Mustang GT - Saleen Clone - Full Authentic Saleen Body/Graphics Kit - 18" Chrome Saleen Wheels - Eibach Pro Kit Springs - Tokico Blue Shocks/Struts - Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates - Powerstop Slotted/Drilled Rotors - HPM Subframe Connectors - MAC Cold Air Intake - C&L Intake Plenum - BBK 75mm Throttle Body - Steeda Underdrive Pulleys - Bama 93 Octane Tune - UPR Off-Road X-Pipe - Magnaflow Catback - Pro 5.0 Short throw Shifter - Pioneer AppRadio 2 - Saleen Indiglo Guages - Saleen Pedals - Saleen Build Plate

Wilson

Sweet! Any word on pricing yet? Also, if everything works out this week, when would it be available to buy? Are they planning on a before/after dyno?
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

68_GT

Quote from: Husker02GT on August 05, 2014, 09:52:23 AM
This fabricator thinks it is very possible to put together a front mount kit for the intercooler without affecting the integrity of the car.

wait what !!!!!!???????? like relocating the intercooler to the front of the radiator ???
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

ShoBoat

Quote from: 68_GT on August 05, 2014, 04:57:35 PM
Quote from: Husker02GT on August 05, 2014, 09:52:23 AM
This fabricator thinks it is very possible to put together a front mount kit for the intercooler without affecting the integrity of the car.

wait what !!!!!!???????? like relocating the intercooler to the front of the radiator ???

Ok I'm confused, I thought it was in front of the rad already? Isn't it sandwiched between the AC and the rad? 
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

kinder

I think he means a thicker wider one that can catch more air to help cool it.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

panther427

A lot can be improved over factory. Better bar and plate design bigger end tanks. Slightly larger better curves on the inlet and outlet.
2013 SHO

68_GT

then we'll get all that crap in our intercoolers like the F150's !? :)
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SicPerformanceEngineering

Hey everyone,

I am the fabricator working on OP's car, sorry for the delay I have my fabrication shop as a side job and only work on the weekends. But the intake is coming together very well and should have the first prototype complete and on the car this weekend. After getting some tests done and dyno sheets finished up I'll be making a thread on this forum with group buy information, I'm guessing 5-10 per group buy depending on the amount of interest. If you guys have any questions you can either post on here or PM me, thanks everyone for the input on your posts I have taken all variables into consideration and think I found a good median between function and feasibility.

Thanks again.

H.L.
Sic Performance Engineering

SHOdded

Welcome HL, can't wait to see the final results/product!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Welcome, very interested in the final product
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys! Keep in mind that this intake is for you guys and when I post pictures of the prototype upon completion, if you guys have any input to what you would like to see different or anything stock you think could be better deleted don't hesitate to let me know. You know the car better than me being as this is a new platform to me.

Also I'm in the process of getting bigger equipment to offer this intake powder coated as well, but the first few sets I make will be Bare as my oven is too small..

Thanks again everyone!

panther427

I have a thought on the stock intake that I haven't seen mentioned before.  Not sure of your plans but putting this out there. And that thing is the way the factory tubes are set up seem to be designed to have an equal distance to each Turbo.  Just like equal length headers. I think it's probably that way since your using one air filter. Not sure how that works with separate filters for each Turbo.

Thoughts comments?
2013 SHO

Quote from: panther427 on August 06, 2014, 06:22:01 PM
I have a thought on the stock intake that I haven't seen mentioned before.  Not sure of your plans but putting this out there. And that thing is the way the factory tubes are set up seem to be designed to have an equal distance to each Turbo.  Just like equal length headers. I think it's probably that way since your using one air filter. Not sure how that works with separate filters for each Turbo.

Thoughts comments?

I noticed the same thing but the big flaw I saw with the factory set up is the curve they used to attempt to make it equal length, where the rear turbo pipe meets the front turbo is a 180 type bend with the rear merging in, but how it merges the rear turbo looks to be getting all the cold air and the front turbo getting robbed of a lot of the air coming in due to the placement of the merger point. I think how I designed mine will give adequate cool air flow to both turbos.

One thing to keep in mind with air Intakes; as important as keeping hot air out , smooth flow to the turbos is very important as well. Getting rid of kinks/reductions /restrictions, unnecessary bends, etc will help your turbo move air more efficiently. And I've found that intakes work well with everything opened up and smooth flowing. (intake/tune/exhaust/ hot/cold side innercooler pipes) smooth air flowing in smooth air flowing out I say will provide best results as all factory restrictions will be taken care of.

Guys from what I saw while I had the mks at my shop was a lot of reductions in diameter of your intercooler piping,  charge pipe has a lot as well as the bend in the air intake that has the merger in it stealing air from the front turbo.

I can't wait to see what these cars can do with a full smooth flowing intake,I/C piping, exhaust and tune can do! I'm excited to have the please of working with my buddy's mks to hopefully soon have everything I stated above available for you guys.