• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What would you like to see in a new CAI?

Started by Husker02GT, July 16, 2014, 05:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Husker02GT

Hey guys- I'm dropping my car off with a fabricator in a week and a half to design me a new CAI. These will be available to purchase once the prototype is complete. This will remove the saxophone inlet and run all the way to the turbos similar to the Hennessy piece. He is also open to other custom pieces and will use my MKS as a test mule. Any feedback is appreciated, he stated once complete the price should be in the $400 range.
2011 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost - 3D Carbon Spoiler - Tinted Tail lights - 35%F/15%R Window Tint - Powerstop Slotted & Drilled Brakes - MGP Lincoln Caliper Covers - Airaid Intake - MORE TO COME

2002 Ford Mustang GT - Saleen Clone - Full Authentic Saleen Body/Graphics Kit - 18" Chrome Saleen Wheels - Eibach Pro Kit Springs - Tokico Blue Shocks/Struts - Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates - Powerstop Slotted/Drilled Rotors - HPM Subframe Connectors - MAC Cold Air Intake - C&L Intake Plenum - BBK 75mm Throttle Body - Steeda Underdrive Pulleys - Bama 93 Octane Tune - UPR Off-Road X-Pipe - Magnaflow Catback - Pro 5.0 Short throw Shifter - Pioneer AppRadio 2 - Saleen Indiglo Guages - Saleen Pedals - Saleen Build Plate

Wilson

Nice! If he needs a 13-14 vehicle to test on, my SHO is available. Looking forward to see what y'all come up with.
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

SHOdded

The MKS guys are taking the lead on CAIs :thumb:  Good luck with the prototype!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BigPelo

Thermal insulation to prevent heat soak would be nice.
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

FoMoCoSHO

IHeartGroceries

^Haha! I was waiting for this EXACT comment from you.

And I concur.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

Josephm

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 16, 2014, 11:32:51 PM
One that actually makes power?

Me as well... Power is the key---I could careless what it looks like, Just make enough power to justify the cost...IE 400$
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

ShoBoat

Same here. Sound good and makes more power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

kinder

It would need to be an enclosed system made from heat resistant materials that not only resist heat but don't heat soak when they do get heated. It must draw in more air than the stock set up and the inlets and tubing should be hard with a dimpled interior (like a golf ball) to promote air velocity that also has a twist in it to created a funneling effect to further increase velocity and flow.

These are random ideas in my head that may or may not work. I think that the stock set up is as good as we will have without many thousands being spent on R&D to try and create something that will pick up 1% more power and will sell in the mid hundreds.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

SHOdded

I keep coming back to RevXtreme's chiller solution, may be worth a shot!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHO-Time

Perhaps a full carbon-fiber enclosed intake, that is proven to make power. The majority of intakes are tested on a dyno while the hood is open. An intake that can make power and lower IATs while the hood is closed is what is needed (obviously).
2015 Chevy SS Perfect Blue / LMT Tuned (390 RWHP / 388 RWTQ)
2013 White Platinum Tri-Coat SHO (Non-PP) *SOLD*

EcoPowerParts

Well if it makes power and works I'd love to sell it on my site :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHO-Time

Quote from: kinder on July 17, 2014, 12:38:15 PM
It would need to be an enclosed system made from heat resistant materials that not only resist heat but don't heat soak when they do get heated. It must draw in more air than the stock set up and the inlets and tubing should be hard with a dimpled interior (like a golf ball) to promote air velocity that also has a twist in it to created a funneling effect to further increase velocity and flow.

These are random ideas in my head that may or may not work. I think that the stock set up is as good as we will have without many thousands being spent on R&D to try and create something that will pick up 1% more power and will sell in the mid hundreds.

APR which is the Rousch of the VW/Audi world uses a company named Carbonio to make their intakes. They just came out with a new intake for the MK7 GTI and 2015 A3 (MQB platform) which utilizes an intake to your exact description. It's a very very long shot, perhaps we can reach out to Carbonio for a one-off intake? Unfortunately the SHO just doesn't have the largest aftermarket following.

http://www.carbonio.com/composites/index.html

http://www.goapr.com/products/intake_ea888_gen3_mqb.html

2015 Chevy SS Perfect Blue / LMT Tuned (390 RWHP / 388 RWTQ)
2013 White Platinum Tri-Coat SHO (Non-PP) *SOLD*

panther427

I love APR's products.   Please ttake a look at this company
http://www.coldairinductions.com/store/cold-air-intakes

Worked great on w body GM cars.  They look nice and they do take steps to deal with heat. 
2013 SHO

vernonator

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 16, 2014, 11:32:51 PM
One that actually makes power?

DING DING DING!!! WINNAAAHHH!!!!!

Who cares what it looks like (well maybe a little) for $400 it needs to make a significant amount of power....
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)