• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Name your top 5 BEST sleepers of all time

Started by SHO-Time, July 11, 2014, 10:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

Funny video of a guy that liked to build sleepers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUrfIW4zQmM

I miss having a sleeper, the Caddy is a bit too over the top not to be noticed.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Concours.John

I believe 87 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo. The very first ones delivered were spec cars then banned till crash standards met. Later were heavier and a little less power.
Don't wreck the front one piece bumper. And sheet metal would dent looking at it.

vinnievis

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on July 11, 2014, 07:06:25 PM
Funny video of a guy that liked to build sleepers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUrfIW4zQmM

I miss having a sleeper, the Caddy is a bit too over the top not to be noticed.

The guy in that video lost all credibility with me when he called an IROC-Z "an Iconic Muscle car". 

The original CTS-V from 04-08 was a decent sleeper.  I would tell people that the 05 V that I had was a Supercharged (It was a Maggied) LS6 with a 6 Speed manual and they would call me a liar.  Unless they heard it running...

I think the EVO's are still a great sleeper.  I see them, I know they are fast and still I want to take them on.  I made that mistake once in a Mach 1 Mustang on the interstate.  All I saw were tail lights...

SHODYOU

in no particular order...

10+ SHO and its brothers
Typhoon/Cyclone
Regal T-type
Fairmont
Galant VR4
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

black99lightning

10-14 SHO
86-87 Regal Limited turbo, looked like Grandpa's regal.
13-14 Explorer Sports
Galant VR4
First Gen CTSV
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

QuickSilver

When I tell 'car people' that I  primarily collect cars from the 80's, they think I've lost it :clown: But there *were* some great cars in the 80's and I have a few that are listed in the replies above.

1) Omni GLH I couldn't agree more but did you guys know it had a more powerful rare 'brother'?  The 86 Shelby Omni GLHS. Mr Shelby went on record more than once(he told me in person a few years back) as the GLHS being "His favorite car he ever built" Yes, that includes Cobras, Daytona's and GT 350's. Weird huh? When asked about it he said, "Because that was the car we took it to the big boys with" He regularly drove his #001 GLHS around Vegas when he was visiting his shop there.  Save for the 86 Grand National the GLHS was the quickest American made car in 86.

2) Someone say Turbo Caravan?  they were a two year run only, 89/90 they had the ubiquitous 2.5 turbo four available with a 5 speed or 413 auto, 5 passenger, 7 passenger, short *or* long wheelbase, cargo van,  and my personal favorite, the  faux woodgrain exterior trim package. I've owned a few of these and 'Woody' is currently getting a big valve head, upgraded Mitsu turbo(gotta look stock in CA if you get pulled over >:( ) an OBX Posi equipped 413 with a lockup convertor switch(freeway cruiser to Vegas baby, 26MPG!)

3) The Mirage turbo was available for a few years in the mid 80's but the desirable 1.3 DOHC (little brother to the Gallant/Eclipse/Talon 2l  G463T) was only available single year in 89 with the 'new' body style. Great suspension, and awesome gearbox, 4 wheel disc brakes it was only and intercooler and some added boost away from greatness.  My Brother put over 270K miles on his  with basic required maintanence and only a starter swap and a turbo somewhere around 200K. We moved some pretty big stuff in that little hatchback over the years. Sleeper for sure

4) Crossfire SRT6. one year only 2005(yeah  I know guys, there were a handful of '06's but like what, 10 maybe?) The Stock Crossfire, 215HP and was 'spry' The  SRT6 with the supercharged Mercedes 3.2l motor was a 'Hole Nuther Animal! It was UNDERATED at 350HP! 13.10's all stock and with slicks on the back, more than a few guys churned out some high 12's right outta the box!  I put about 60K miles on mine  and with nothing more than good set of  Porterfield brake pads, a CAI and some cooling upgrades I did many roadrace track days at Chuckwalla, Spring Mountain, Willow Springs and Auto Club Speedway Fontana. It chased down and passed many Vettes, Porsches and even a 512 Ferrari on the front strait away one day that nobody believed was gonna happen. I think that was a 1.58.2 lap, fast company indeed.

5) Doesn't belong on the sleeper list because it looks so menacing but the Buick Regal T-Type/Grand National/GNX is pure nastiness.  Guys on the TurboBuick forums will shun you if you CAN'T get into the 11's on the stock turbo! I get more thumbs up in my tribute GNX than any other car I've owned or driven. Old school 80's cool 8)
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

wasinger3000

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

FoMoCoSHO

Quicksilver, the 89 Mirage Turbo had the non inter-cooled 1.6

Concours John owned one of the 1500 made and we spent lots of time in it causing trouble.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/1989-10best-cars-1989-dodge-colt-turbo-mitsubishi-mirage-turbo-page-4

QuickSilver

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 21, 2014, 07:37:35 PM
Quicksilver, the 89 Mirage Turbo had the non inter-cooled 1.6

Concours John owned one of the 1500 made and we spent lots of time in it causing trouble.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/1989-10best-cars-1989-dodge-colt-turbo-mitsubishi-mirage-turbo-page-4

Yep, I knew it was smaller than the Eclipse etc. Bro's car, I *tried* to talk him into the 2l conversion but he wouldn't have it.  He's not "one of us" ;D
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

panther427

Proof the ur S4 is the sleeper..  one most have never heard or seen one. Second. As of 2012 it was the world's fastest 4 door.
http://www.quattroworld.com/speed-week/the-worlds-fastest-sedan-260mph-in-a-1992-audi-s4/
2013 SHO

Silkysmooth02

Yea, I'm partial to some of my previous cars.   In high school my mother wouldn't dare let me get a mustang or camaro so my options were:
96 caprice 9c1 ( cop cars with lt1s, top speed around 160mph)

98 Jeep grand Cherokee 5.9 limited ( AWD, tons of torque, high 14s stock, low 13s with intake, tune and exhaust)

93 lincoln mark 8 ( SUPER sleeper, with 3.73 gears, exhaust and tune  ran high 13s) I ended up buying a 98 in mint condition years later.

T-bird super coupe/ turbo coupe

Ironically I pulled the trigger on a 93 cherry red SHO.........I absolutely fell in love them and later owned a laser red 90, and a 92 forest green. All 5 speeds.  I loved killing all the 5.0 guys in high school :) ESPECIALLY on the freeway!
If ur not first, ur last.......mods: BOV VTA conversion,93 Octane 3 bar tune from Unleashed Tuning,  blue LEDs inside, white outside. 2 JBL GTI Mkii 12" subs, Planet Audio BB2400.1, Big 3, kinetic 1200 deep cycle batt.

ZSHO

1987 Chevy caprice,ex government car it had 5.7 liter 350,posi rear and this ting hauled ***still had the metal gates on the rear door windows,cool thing back then everyone would think im undercover,the old man bought an ex police car same year but no posi rear and alot slower Lol

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Brucelinc

I cannot imagine more of a sleeper than this:

Txstrmhntr

Hmm favorite sleepers

1. 1st gen SHO
2. 10+ SHO
3. Regal TType/GNX
4. Caprice/Impalla SS LT1
5. any GM family car that had the 3.8L SC engine in it

The next two sorta count as sleepers. Were my dads vehicles in the mid-late 90's and I drove them frequently :smile:

92 Ranger with a 5.0 swap
89 BMW 750IL

Both of those took quite a few unsuspecting 90's sports cars down

Honorable mentions:
galant vr4
saab 9-5 wagon
Audi A6 All road

OLD
2013 Taurus SHO with PP, LET Tuned, ATP+2 Turbos ,PPE Hotpipes, PPE off road DP's,  Alky control methanol injection
NEW-- 2016 Kona Blue Fiesta ST, Stock(not for long)