• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

K&N drop in VS OEM filter

Started by ShoBoat, July 10, 2014, 12:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

So it seems like I have been taking a few steps back. I had the K&N typhoon for a while, not impressed with the filtering ability of K&N and the issue with IATs I did some testing on my SHO and showed no real positive results with the K&N installed. If anything the car had to work harder to maintain the same performance (the car produced more boost and pulled more timing to make a slightly slower run). So back in the stock intake with the K&N drop in. I never even thought to compare the 2 filters. Again I find myself questioning the fitting ability of K&N. Placing the 2 side by side I am really wondering if the K&N flows better. The pleats are 40 K&N VS 100 OEM. The OEM's are also at least 2x as long as the K&N. See the attached pics.

So I guess it's time for some more real world testing. There is no doubt the the OEM filter is better for it's filtering ability. So if there is no gain in performance then there is no point. Airaid and S&B filters are rated better for their efficiency than K&N. This is only comparing K&N vs OEM.

I hope to get out to the track in the next few weeks. If anyone else beats me to it please post your results.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

I've read numerous tests on motorcraft filters vs k&n. Every time  it comes down to negligible gains from the k&n with more oil contamination. 

What I have done is ordered the white oem filter that is shorter than one you have in the picture. The shorter filter has a greater flow but does not last as long.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ShoBoat

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 10, 2014, 01:11:32 AM
I've read numerous tests on motorcraft filters vs k&n. Every time  it comes down to negligible gains from the k&n with more oil contamination. 

What I have done is ordered the white oem filter that is shorter than one you have in the picture. The shorter filter has a greater flow but does not last as long.

You wouldn't happen to have the part number?

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

Quote from: ShoBoat on July 10, 2014, 07:52:53 AM

Ok. Here's the one I have in my car and I know it fits. But now amazons fitment guide says it doesn't fit.... :o

Motorcraft FA1884 Air Filter by Motorcraft http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00130L816/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_p8PVtb0V3WRZY
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

Jtrain

You know what this gets you

Noise

/thread
2004 G35: Built Motor 8.8:1, Single Disc Kevlar Clutch, 3" Dual Turbo Back, G18 Twin Turbos, 18PSI, 600 Wheel HP
2007 Jeep SRT8 13.4 @104 Sold for....
2014 Ford Explorer Sport: K&N, .030 NGK plugs, 170 Tstat, 3Bar sensor, Tuned with SCT Tuner

ShoBoat

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 10, 2014, 10:19:16 AM
Quote from: ShoBoat on July 10, 2014, 07:52:53 AM

Ok. Here's the one I have in my car and I know it fits. But now amazons fitment guide says it doesn't fit.... :o

Motorcraft FA1884 Air Filter by Motorcraft http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00130L816/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_p8PVtb0V3WRZY

Thanks. Interesting when I went on the ford parts direct site. It showed the same part number as the one you listed for my car. Which is different than the one I have now. I wonder if the one I have has been discontinued. Considering I haven't had a OEM filter in my car for over a year now.

CroR1

Any updates on gains from kn filter?

jeremiahmercier

Bump, is it worth it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SM105K

The factory air box with a K&N air filter has been proven to be a good set up.  It is sealed, and flows just as much as the high dollar cold air intakes.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

ZSHO

Quote from: jeremiahmercier on May 15, 2019, 01:29:20 PM
Bump, is it worth it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
FYI- The last post was close to 5 yrs ago! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

avidmotion

I have tested several airfilters and the Livernois Windstorm. The windstorm makes nice sounds, seems to lose alittle down low but gain a smidge up top, and sounds louder, especially with the GH intercooler. I found the srtock box with no modifications and a dry filter Amsoil or AEM filter worked the best. No environmental issues, like salt, dirt or water issues. 0-60 times were better with stock box and dry filter. I run the windstorm in the summer just for the sounds and stock box in winter with dry filter. I just put my windstorm on for 2 weeks but went back to the stock box......
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

18SHO

Quote from: avidmotion on May 15, 2019, 08:30:08 PM
I have tested several airfilters and the Livernois Windstorm. The windstorm makes nice sounds, seems to lose alittle down low but gain a smidge up top, and sounds louder, especially with the GH intercooler. I found the srtock box with no modifications and a dry filter Amsoil or AEM filter worked the best. No environmental issues, like salt, dirt or water issues. 0-60 times were better with stock box and dry filter. I run the windstorm in the summer just for the sounds and stock box in winter with dry filter. I just put my windstorm on for 2 weeks but went back to the stock box......

Are the dry filters able to be cleaned?
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

SM105K

Quote from: 18SHO on May 16, 2019, 08:00:13 AM
Quote from: avidmotion on May 15, 2019, 08:30:08 PM

Are the dry filters able to be cleaned?

Most are cheap enough just to buy new again.  I keep my K&N dry, meaning I don't re-oil it after I clean it.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

TopherSho

I also run a DRY filter from AEM,  just follow the instructions on cleaning it and it will last quite a while.  I do end up tweezing out large hunks of crap in the summer when i can murder thousands of bugs though.

keep you current filter, get a AEM dry
when your cleaning you AEM drop in the oem filter until your done cleaning ..

EZPZ
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|