• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid question

Started by jtoddk98, July 09, 2014, 06:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoddk98

The dealer I did it at was a BG dealer. Didn't do the BG service though. $139 vs $60 for sucking the old stuff out and putting new in. I plan on changing it pretty often since it's so cheep.
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

Larrylu

My dealer is a BG dealer but would not even quote a price for sucking out and replacing with new. With this one exception they have been a great dealer treating me fairly and doing good work.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

FoMoCoSHO

Sometimes dealers are hesitant when they don't have any "book time" to refer to. I always just offer them to do it time and materials based that way they can't get hosed.

Larrylu

Good suggestion!  I have some lift time scheduled at my brother-in-law's shop do I expect to have a whack at this real soon. I'm anxious!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

peppelepugh

Car is at the dealer today, almost at 50k miles and wanted the PTU fluid change with some other odds and ends. They just called me back and said "Our master tech says it should not be serviced due to the manual says it shouldn't be looked into unless there is an issue." I politely replied "I view this just as a transmission of a car... the fluid needs to be changed. I view this as the oil in a car.... wouldn't you change the fluid after so many miles?" He couldn't give me a quote on it, so way i'm looking at is that i told them, "if its over $150, don't bother"

Should i call up a couple of other shops/dealerships around her about it, I don't exactly have an oil pump so i wouldn't know how to go about changing this myself....

Any input appreciated!
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Quote from: peppelepugh on September 11, 2014, 01:22:03 PM
Car is at the dealer today, almost at 50k miles and wanted the PTU fluid change with some other odds and ends. They just called me back and said "Our master tech says it should not be serviced due to the manual says it shouldn't be looked into unless there is an issue." I politely replied "I view this just as a transmission of a car... the fluid needs to be changed. I view this as the oil in a car.... wouldn't you change the fluid after so many miles?" He couldn't give me a quote on it, so way i'm looking at is that i told them, "if its over $150, don't bother"

Should i call up a couple of other shops/dealerships around her about it, I don't exactly have an oil pump so i wouldn't know how to go about changing this myself....

Any input appreciated!
Couple people have mentioned getting the PTU fluid changed at some reasonable prices.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

peppelepugh

yeah, exactly what i'm seeing. I'm 0-2 in dealers around me who will do that. All the tech's say that it is a non-serviceable fluid and there isn't a way to change it.... Might just have to do it myself. Kinda weird, i mean i'm willing to pay a dealership of all places to do it and they are telling me no... LOL
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

SHOdded

Do any of these dealers offer BG trans service?  Maybe find a place that does that, they might do the PTU service also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

Print out the how-to, grab some oil and go to a local mom and pop shop that has a good reputation. Show them the job and tell them how much they would charge labor, shouldn't be more than $50 or so as it is relatively easy, could be a 15 min job with a lift.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance