• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) Equipped Vehicles*** READ THIS

Started by MDesign Performance, July 07, 2014, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimmyATL

I live in the Deep South. So the winters are very fair and no salt. I use to run with my underbody panel off during the summer and only install it when I take road trips. But with this one having the opening and scoops I feel it is better than not having it all.
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5

metroplex

I always wondered why my SHO's shield had those 2 "scoop" shapes. Never thought to cut them open and run diverters. I always thought it was for sound insulation and air flow, as there's a huge pad on it and it does smooth out the underside. If I still had my SHO, I'd definitely try the MKT/Flex shield with the scoops.

But after crawling around my 2018 Explorer XLT, I'd probably be just as happy removing that shield altogether. The Explorer only has that front air dam/lip at least for the N/A 3.5 V6.

What about atmospheric salt in the south? If you live by the ocean, the salt spray is almost as bad (but not nearly as bad).
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

anomadtoo

so.......anyone in the Seattle area willing to help me with this, haha. I have a newly acquired 2011 with 120K+ miles and this of course needs done. Local shop I use quoted around $180.

DirtyHarry

Added a hose to the breather tube to make it easy to add oil to the PTU. Suck out the old and add using the tube, when it over flows, button up.

You should do the PTU every 30k and drain the transmission by the lower mini plug. Measure carefully (4.1qts) of motorcraft LV.  Don't mix brands!  RockAuto the cheapest by the case. No filter required, its internal.

bpd1151

After seeing all the failures over the years and knowing my own strict regimen has kept mine in my 2010 robust and trouble free.....

I'd highly recommend a much more brisk interval than 30k.

Me personally, I do mine 2x per year, regardless of mileage. Once in the Spring, once in the Fall.

Now granted, that may be extreme for some, but I'd HIGHLY recommend performing the PTU service AT LEAST once per year.

Regardless of mileage.

The mere peanuts it costs in fluid, and the less than 30min time to perform it, makes it an absolute no brainer.