• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) Equipped Vehicles*** READ THIS

Started by MDesign Performance, July 07, 2014, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 12, 2014, 11:21:10 PM
Any reviews on the performance after this yet? Smoother maybe?

I do 80-90% highway driving. I instantly noticed less drivetrain lag, coasting feels like its gliding on ice (that new car coast). Also there seems to be less lag in the shifting of the transmission, feels much crisper.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

wasinger3000

Quote from: Spartn27 on July 14, 2014, 12:30:35 AM

I do 80-90% highway driving. I instantly noticed less drivetrain lag, coasting feels like its gliding on ice (that new car coast). Also there seems to be less lag in the shifting of the transmission, feels much crisper.
I agree with you on the shift feel. I think your oil was worse than mine. I'm glad I did it when. I did though.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I appreciate it!
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SHOnUup

Quote from: Spartn27 on July 14, 2014, 12:30:35 AM

The list of to do's is growing. Appreciate the feedback.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

metroplex

This is an old thread but I thought I'd mention that Autoweek's review of the 2013 SHO showed a nice thermal snapshot of the PTU with and without the cooler. The max temp on the non-cooled PTU was about 284F and the cooled PTU was about 266F, and the chart showed that the cooler just lowers the temps by 16% on average which isn't a whole lot. Certainly not enough to prevent the oil from coking in the long-term. But the Fusion Sport comes with a PTU cooler and has drain/fill plugs but is a different PTU from the ones used in the Edge and D3/D4 vehicles.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

TimmyATL

A little FYI. I am sorry if this has been mentioned before. For those that want extra cooling of the PTU and rear turbo go and get a Flex (with ecoboost option) under panel. It has air scoops that will help with cooling. Not a bad upgrade for under 150 buck.
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

12.4 @ 110.9 mph

gtmorgan23

Quote from: TimmyATL on February 28, 2018, 08:03:48 AM
A little FYI. I am sorry if this has been mentioned before. For those that want extra cooling of the PTU and rear turbo go and get a Flex (with ecoboost option) under panel. It has air scoops that will help with cooling. Not a bad upgrade for under 150 buck.

Maybe if you could post a link to said product it would help folks out more.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

Quote from: SHOdded on February 28, 2018, 09:27:33 AM
Quote from: metroplex on February 28, 2018, 08:55:27 AM
Explorers have that scoop even without ecoboost
Probably due to the Police Utility.

My XLT 4WD with class 3 tow PKG has it, no EcoBoost . All towin pkg Explorrs have it.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

TimmyATL

Part# is DA8Z-9910494-B is for a 13 Flex with 3.5l Ecoboost it fits with no concerns even with 2.5 inch downpipes.
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5

metroplex

Quote from: TimmyATL on February 28, 2018, 10:49:26 AM
Part# is DA8Z-9910494-B is for a 13 Flex with 3.5l Ecoboost it fits with no concerns even with 2.5 inch downpipes.

That looks like the standard shield on all SHOS
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

TimmyATL

They look the same but the slots are open and the air diverter are riveted into the panel. I do not have the pictures on this computer to post sorry.

metroplex

The Explorer uses an actual scoop. If you see a cutout on the front airdam on the passenger side, it has the scoop. There's no shield for the Explorer

I see the pics of your shield. They are used on Flex and MKT. Looks interesting. No insulation and has the cutouts with diverters at those 2 scoop shapes. After seeing ny Explorer without a shield, I'd probably just take it off entirely on the SHO. It just traps salt.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph