• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) Equipped Vehicles*** READ THIS

Started by MDesign Performance, July 07, 2014, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHeartGroceries

That's unusual. At 10 ounces, you're only at 55 percent of what the manual calls for. That'd make me a little uneasy. Are you in a position to somehow rotate the wheels/drive axles, to see if you can turn the gearsets, and maybe "burp" any air out of the case?
I'd still consider running a flush cycle, considering how well renowned these cases are for sludging.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

ShoBoat

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 09, 2014, 11:06:39 PM
Quote from: IHeartGroceries on July 09, 2014, 10:56:46 PM
How many miles are on this fluid? 3 ounces? That's insane.
Certainly a possibility that it is heavy sludged. I can't think of anything else to try, other than to fill it as much as possible, run it for a hundred or two hundred miles, and then attempt to drain again.
If it really is that bad, it may take a few drains and refills to flush it out.

I managed to get 8 ounces out of it. Maybe 9 with what in the hose. I put a camera in and looked around.  It was bone dry after the 8 ounces i pulled out.

I managed to get 10 ounces in. So idk where the other 8 ounces are supposed to go. Manual says 18 ounces.

My car is at 21,xxx right now. Sludge was thick on the cap as well.

This might be a silly question, but if yours is a PP car how were you able to access the fill plug without removing the down pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

Quote from: ShoBoat on July 09, 2014, 11:24:15 PM

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 09, 2014, 11:06:39 PM
Quote from: IHeartGroceries on July 09, 2014, 10:56:46 PM
How many miles are on this fluid? 3 ounces? That's insane.
Certainly a possibility that it is heavy sludged. I can't think of anything else to try, other than to fill it as much as possible, run it for a hundred or two hundred miles, and then attempt to drain again.
If it really is that bad, it may take a few drains and refills to flush it out.

I managed to get 8 ounces out of it. Maybe 9 with what in the hose. I put a camera in and looked around.  It was bone dry after the 8 ounces i pulled out.

I managed to get 10 ounces in. So idk where the other 8 ounces are supposed to go. Manual says 18 ounces.

My car is at 21,xxx right now. Sludge was thick on the cap as well.

This might be a silly question, but if yours is a PP car how were you able to access the fill plug without removing the down pipe?

My car is not a PP. In my sig I have -PP. Which I guess is not the correct way to put it lol. "-" as in minus.  Maybe in my head it looked right.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

wasinger3000

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on July 09, 2014, 11:18:04 PM
That's unusual. At 10 ounces, you're only at 55 percent of what the manual calls for. That'd make me a little uneasy. Are you in a position to somehow rotate the wheels/drive axles, to see if you can turn the gearsets, and maybe "burp" any air out of the case?
I'd still consider running a flush cycle, considering how well renowned these cases are for sludging.

I put the plug back in after letting it sit for 30 min at exactly level. Measured the hight from the ground on both sides of the car to get it there. I did not however spin the wheels but when I looked in with the camera it doesn't look as if air could catch on Anything.

After a test drive I will reluctantly pull the plug and see how it looks.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

wasinger3000

Quote from: jmr061 on July 09, 2014, 11:10:58 PM
Can you record the video?

I can but I didn't. I was in a hurry under the car to just get it over with. I can get some next time I pull it open.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 09, 2014, 08:43:05 PM
The most i can get out of this thing is like 3 ounces..... wheres it all hiding at....

I assume it just turned into a paste and its sticking to the walls.

This is exactly what I experienced and why I felt compelled to say something about it. I suppose Ford's idea of "lifetime" is 36 months/36,000 miles, in the manual it states the fluid should be changed for vehicles over in the Middle East doing sand driving every 20,000 miles. Most of us should average between 10-20,000 miles a year so that's where my recommendation of an annual fluid change arose from.

All you need is a good brand, Royal Purple or AMS Oil, etc. at around $20 which can be found locally (Royal Purple at least).
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOdded

If the fluid is that sludgy, and you do not get a sufficient quantity out, you should
a) do repeated flushes with fresh fluid till it all comes out (maybe 2-3 times), or
c) repeat the drain & fill at shorter intervals till you start getting full volume out, or
b) run some solvent like kerosene (not too much of course; saw this done over on the Edge forum)

What kind of pump were you using, wasinger?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOdded on July 10, 2014, 04:33:02 AM
If the fluid is that sludgy, and you do not get a sufficient quantity out, you should
a) do repeated flushes with fresh fluid till it all comes out (maybe 2-3 times), or
c) repeat the drain & fill at shorter intervals till you start getting full volume out, or
b) run some solvent like kerosene (not too much of course; saw this done over on the Edge forum)

What kind of pump were you using, wasinger?
I'm going to check back in 50 miles and see how everything looks. I'll pull a little oil and use my camera to see if it is any cleaner. If nessasary I'll use a compressed air solvent sprayer to clean it out.

Here is what I used to remove the oil.

wasinger3000

Just drove the car.  First thing I noticed is how much quieter it is in reverse. Before I could hear a mechanical gear like noise. Now it's silent. Feels smoother in drive now as well. I'm impressed.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOdded on July 10, 2014, 01:53:43 PM
Did you go WOT yet on the new fluid?  :D
Hah I had to resist. I didn't want anything to grenade on me. I'm going to check the fluid level again then go out and play.

jmr061

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 10, 2014, 02:18:53 PM
Hah I had to resist. I didn't want anything to grenade on me. I'm going to check the fluid level again then go out and play.

Your making it sound like this was a fairly easy project?  How would u rate the difficulty and how long did it take?

Jason
16 Edge Sport

wasinger3000

Quote from: jmr061 on July 10, 2014, 02:20:49 PM

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 10, 2014, 02:18:53 PM

Your making it sound like this was a fairly easy project?  How would u rate the difficulty and how long did it take?

The only thing that's hard about it is getting your hands in the right place. It's a tight spot. The plug is easy to deal with. Just the process of getting the fluid out is time consuming. It took me about an hour.

SHOnUup

Any reviews on the performance after this yet? Smoother maybe?
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 12, 2014, 11:21:10 PM
Any reviews on the performance after this yet? Smoother maybe?
Not huge by any means. Just feels quicker in a wot shift. Mostly the first 2 gears. Most likely since awd is in use.