• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) Equipped Vehicles*** READ THIS

Started by MDesign Performance, July 07, 2014, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

Quote from: jmr061 on July 08, 2014, 10:11:18 AM
To me not having a temp sensor is odd. How would it know it's overheating. Let me look into the 13 SM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be that it's a different PID number for non PP cars. If someone with access to FORScan could take a look into the PCM and see if you get a reeding.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

I'm going to poke around with FORScan tonight and see. I might need some help finding it but I'll let you know when I try tonight.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

jmr061

I took a look and in several places the 2013 Service Manual states "if equipped" when referring to the PTU temp sensor.  I believe it only exists if the car has a PTU cooling system.

I did see this in the service manual as well:
"Heat Protection Mode

During very extreme off-road operation, the AWD system utilizes a heat protection mode to protect the ATC solenoid (part of rear axle) from damage. If the system detects an overheat condition, it enters a locked mode. If the heat in the system continues to rise once in the locked mode, the 4X4 control module disables the ATC solenoid. Allow the system to cool down at least 10 minutes with the ignition switch in the ON position. "
Jason
16 Edge Sport

ShoBoat

Quote from: jmr061 on July 08, 2014, 10:26:13 AM
I took a look and in several places the 2013 Service Manual states "if equipped" when referring to the PTU temp sensor.  I believe it only exists if the car has a PTU cooling system.

I did see this in the service manual as well:
"Heat Protection Mode

During very extreme off-road operation, the AWD system utilizes a heat protection mode to protect the ATC solenoid (part of rear axle) from damage. If the system detects an overheat condition, it enters a locked mode. If the heat in the system continues to rise once in the locked mode, the 4X4 control module disables the ATC solenoid. Allow the system to cool down at least 10 minutes with the ignition switch in the ON position. "

The second statement seems to point to temp sensor (or limit switch?) somewhere. It could be similar to the oil pressure switch, that simply reads low (or in this case hot) if it's triggered.

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

Last I heard the cooling system is on there if you have either the PP or Police version.  Out of luck if you have the non-PP version.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Quote from: SHOdded on July 08, 2014, 01:58:43 PM
Last I heard the cooling system is on there if you have either the PP or Police version.  Out of luck if you have the non-PP version.

True, however I was thinking if there is some sort of thermal protection on the units for non pp and pre 2013 it must have a temp sensor on it? Well you would think, maybe in the rdu?

ecoboostsho

I think there is only thermal protection on the 2013 + cooled units...aka PP. Not positive though and would be happy to be proved wrong!
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

jmr061

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 08, 2014, 07:12:22 PM
I think there is only thermal protection on the 2013 + cooled units...aka PP. Not positive though and would be happy to be proved wrong!

Go get it stuck and heat the heck up out of the drivetrain trying to get out. That will tell u lol

Jason
16 Edge Sport

MDesign Performance

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 08, 2014, 07:12:22 PM

Thermal protection and a cooler for the fluid would be nice but honestly the best form of preventative maintenance would be to spend $100 a year on a high quality fluid swap. For a measly $100 or less a year you can have fresh, high quality gear oil and the peace of mind that comes along with it. Not to mention not only will your car perform better but <$100 is a lot better than $1,000+ for a new PTU.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

wasinger3000

How often are we thinking the oil should be changed?  I'm quite hard on my car. Lots of data logs back to back at wot ect... I'm going to change mine tonight and see how degraded the oil is.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

wasinger3000

The most i can get out of this thing is like 3 ounces..... wheres it all hiding at....

I assume it just turned into a paste and its sticking to the walls.

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

IHeartGroceries

How many miles are on this fluid? 3 ounces? That's insane.
Certainly a possibility that it is heavy sludged. I can't think of anything else to try, other than to fill it as much as possible, run it for a hundred or two hundred miles, and then attempt to drain again.
If it really is that bad, it may take a few drains and refills to flush it out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

wasinger3000

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on July 09, 2014, 10:56:46 PM
How many miles are on this fluid? 3 ounces? That's insane.
Certainly a possibility that it is heavy sludged. I can't think of anything else to try, other than to fill it as much as possible, run it for a hundred or two hundred miles, and then attempt to drain again.
If it really is that bad, it may take a few drains and refills to flush it out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I managed to get 8 ounces out of it. Maybe 9 with what in the hose. I put a camera in and looked around.  It was bone dry after the 8 ounces i pulled out.

I managed to get 10 ounces in. So idk where the other 8 ounces are supposed to go. Manual says 18 ounces.

My car is at 21,xxx right now. Sludge was thick on the cap as well.

jmr061

Can you record the video?

Jason
16 Edge Sport