• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) Equipped Vehicles*** READ THIS

Started by MDesign Performance, July 07, 2014, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

explorergotoluvit

2013 explorer sport
LMS tuner stat 160 3 bar magna flow v8 91 map
k&n H&R spring
retrofit FXR bi-xenon projectors done by lightwerkz 
all lights replaced with leds from daytimebrightlites

IHeartGroceries

Soon. I'm at 14.5K miles now. I plan to tackle this before the oil has degradated to the point it has sludged.
I'll throw together a how to. I have a '13 with PP.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

jmr061

I put the 2013 SM section on draining and filling on my FTP.

FTP:kb9kst.com:29440. User is "Taurus Club" and password is "2013"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason
16 Edge Sport

elund126

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

jmr061

Quote from: explorergotoluvit on July 07, 2014, 11:03:07 PM
does the explorer have a PTU? what is it?

I added the same SM section for the 2014 Explorer. You have a PTU if you have AWD.

Jason
16 Edge Sport

wasinger3000

Are there any additives that will help prevent oil degradation in the PTU?

Is there a temp sensor for the PTU?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

jmr061

Yes there is a temp sensor. The car becomes front wheel drive when you overheat it. Lol don't ask how I know.

Jason
16 Edge Sport

IHeartGroceries

Yeah, VI improvers are added to base stock oils by the manufacturer. I think the design of the PTU is what needs improvement. It is delivering torque to the front axles and the the rear driveshaft continuously of a 4500 lb car, using only a pint or whatever ridiculous capacity of oil. What remains to be seen I think is the effect on oil longevity with auxiliary water cooling equipped on interceptors and PP trim SHOs vs. non-cooled. Water cooling isn't even necessity. If you've got decent capacity, you can rely on a cooler, or even just cooling vanes on the housing to keep things cool. I've heard it's a headache to add the aux water cooling after-the-fact. Maybe it'd be easier to plumb in an inductive auxiliary oil cooler/radiator?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

ShoBoat

There is a procedure for the 13+ PP cars with liquid cooling. There is a fill and drain plug. According to the shop manual you have to remove the passenger cat to access the fill plug. I have yet to try this. I'm going to attempt it this weekend.

I have seen in FORScan the PID for the PTU temp gauge and the Lube life monitor (only available on 13+ PP) . I am still working on the equation for Torque Pro.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

Quote from: jmr061 on July 08, 2014, 01:10:36 AM
Yes there is a temp sensor. The car becomes front wheel drive when you overheat it. Lol don't ask how I know.

Hah. Sounds like a good time. Does it display any warning light? Or are we just left to figure it out on our own?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

wasinger3000

Quote from: ShoBoat on July 08, 2014, 08:36:45 AM
There is a procedure for the 13+ PP cars with liquid cooling. There is a fill and drain plug. According to the shop manual you have to remove the passenger cat to access the fill plug. I have yet to try this. I'm going to attempt it this weekend.

I have seen in FORScan the PID for the PTU temp gauge and the Lube life monitor (only available on 13+ PP) . I am still working on the equation for Torque Pro.

Would the non PP guys be able to use a PID for the temp?

ecoboostsho

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 08, 2014, 09:01:11 AM

Nope...there isn't a sensor to even read the temperature.  I have a 2011 PP and it doesn't have a sensor either.  The cooling and temp sensor was only added to the 2013+ PP
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

wasinger3000

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 08, 2014, 09:07:19 AM
Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 08, 2014, 09:01:11 AM

Nope...there isn't a sensor to even read the temperature.  I have a 2011 PP and it doesn't have a sensor either.  The cooling and temp sensor was only added to the 2013+ PP
Lovely.... is it that much to as for a temp sensor in for something so fragile yet important. >:( 

I wonder if they would deny a warranty claim on this part if they dig to see if it has been tuned.

jmr061

To me not having a temp sensor is odd. How would it know it's overheating. Let me look into the 13 SM.

Jason
16 Edge Sport

ShoBoat

With mine that has the cooling, I have seen temps as high as 95c (208f) when I'm driving a little harder. But most of the time is slightly below engine temps.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.