• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Sealing Airaid Intake

Started by boostedflex, June 25, 2014, 02:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinder

If you want to cover some more avenues you can get some heat reflective tape and blankets from DEI.

http://www.designengineering.com/catalog/design-engineering-inc

or go all out and add in one of their Cryo kits.

http://www.designengineering.com/catalog/cryo2-system-components
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

boostedflex

Thanks Kinder, that will be phase two for sure :)

I finally finished sealing the box, and have some good data.  Ambient temperature was 82, I logged without and with the lid on, and also with both front and rear AC on (wanted to simulate worst case)

IAT1 max value without lid = 127.4
IAT1 max value with lid = 114.8
IAT1 at redline without lid = 120.2
IAT1 at redline with lid = 96.8
Max Knock at Full Throttle without lid = .75
Max Knock at Full Throttle with lid = 0
Zero to Sixty without lid = 5.40
Zero to Sixty with lid = 5.28

The biggest take from this is the 23.4 degree difference in IAT with vs without the lid at redline, and the slightly over .1 second increase in zero to sixty :)  Very pleased, with time I will insulate the box to try and get closer to ambient.

2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold
Unleashed 93 tune, 170 degree t-stat, Airaid intake, Motorcraft SP534 plugs

SHOdded

Gotta like the no-knock at full throttle.  Well done!  Hopefully you have a How To in the offing :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Very nice! Thanks for the update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ecoboostsho

Excellent! I've got plexiglass and some different rubber grommet on the way as well. May attach my lid a little  differently since its a SHO and not a Flex (not as much clearance).
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

kinder

Now that you have an enclosed box (similar to stock) are you willing to put stock one back in and try again? Unless someone else has results for a stock box?
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

painterpatt

Im gonna stick a pizza box on mine at track tonite hahahaha. Goin to Home Depot in morning
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!

panther427

the Pizza box mod... oh this is one for the record
2013 SHO

ShoBoat

Kinda makes you wonder why it didn't come with a lid from Airaid?
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

kinder

Just a thought.... did you happen to see any AFR differences? Can you see what if any fuel adjustments were made to keep the afr in the tune's range? I know the tune would adjust for that but curious if the lid on the box affected the amount of air it was taking in.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator

boostedflex

AFR bank 1 and STFT were unchanged which I think is a good sign.  The only parameter I noticed really change was .5 degrees average more timing for the 0 to 60 run, which I guess when viewed with the .75 degrees of knock retard equates to a nice bump :)  I will try and do a run with the stock box, but I have so little free time not sure when I will get to it.  As for the write up I will try and do something, but it was fairly easy.  Probably the easiest way to do it is get a piece of Lexan from Home Depot, put it over the box, trace the outline of the weather stripping with a sharpy, and cut it with a jig saw (using a fine blade).  To hold it down, all I used was angle brackets bolted to the air box, then long screws coming up from the angle brackets thru the Lexan to hold it down.
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold
Unleashed 93 tune, 170 degree t-stat, Airaid intake, Motorcraft SP534 plugs

slurppie

Has anyone thought of using Kydex to form a lid?

2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

ecoboostsho

Quote from: slurppie on July 07, 2014, 12:39:42 PM
Has anyone thought of using Kydex to form a lid?

Had to look up what Kydex was but that seems interesting.  There are a number of complex curves/bends in the Airaid top that make sealing it difficult.  This might be an interesting approach if they make it thick enough to prevent it getting sucked down on to the filter...
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

glock-coma

I've worked with kydex a little bit  making holsters and mag pouches.  I think it would work well in this application.

You can easily form it with a hot air gun or flat griddle.

They make it pretty thick pretty thick, but even in thin form, once it cools its very stiff.

I usually buy my kydex from knife kits.com.

I probably still have some laying around if someone wants to try it. Just pay the shipping and you can have it.

I'll check once I get home.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

dalum

I think I'd be a little worried about the kydex deforming from the underhood heat.
2013 Non-PP SHO