• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Question about spark plugs

Started by Wardog692, August 22, 2016, 08:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardog692

Quote from: ZSHO on August 24, 2016, 08:00:02 AM
Quote from: Wardog692 on August 24, 2016, 07:47:04 AM
Quote from: Ryan02Stang on August 23, 2016, 10:59:46 PM
Mine came from Rock Auto at .030 - .031, and I did them about two months ago.  We did my brother in law's last month and same thing from Rock Auto.

Mine came all around .030 as well. I'm still stock, but I assume they won't do any damage if I install them as is? Maybe a little worse on the mpg side, but that's all correct?
I stand corrected!....changed my plugs out SIX Times a charm and always found the plugs to be gapped between 0.30-031 and to the OP if your planning on installing a tune in the very near future you should be fine,best of luck to ya and due keep us updated on all fronts,enjoy.BTW if you were closer by me would of installed the plugs for ya in 45min and a couple of beer's.  Z

Well I never have been to New York, so it's on my bucket list! But seeing as I just started my first job, I don't think they'd take too kindly to me asking for time off to road trip up to NY just to change some plugs haha! Thanks for all the help folks, I guess this means a tune is in my near future! Random question regarding that (can be moved if necessary) but I heard that LMS won't tune for products that aren't theirs (i.e. my mDesign intake), is that true or is my mind making stuff up?
2010 SHO 402b non PP
BOV VTA w/ K&N Breather Filters
mDesign CAI
35% Tint
BrakePerformance drilled/slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads

ZSHO

Quote from: Wardog692 on August 24, 2016, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on August 24, 2016, 08:00:02 AM
Quote from: Wardog692 on August 24, 2016, 07:47:04 AM
Quote from: Ryan02Stang on August 23, 2016, 10:59:46 PM
Mine came from Rock Auto at .030 - .031, and I did them about two months ago.  We did my brother in law's last month and same thing from Rock Auto.

Mine came all around .030 as well. I'm still stock, but I assume they won't do any damage if I install them as is? Maybe a little worse on the mpg side, but that's all correct?
I stand corrected!....changed my plugs out SIX Times a charm and always found the plugs to be gapped between 0.30-031 and to the OP if your planning on installing a tune in the very near future you should be fine,best of luck to ya and due keep us updated on all fronts,enjoy.BTW if you were closer by me would of installed the plugs for ya in 45min and a couple of beer's.  Z

Well I never have been to New York, so it's on my bucket list! But seeing as I just started my first job, I don't think they'd take too kindly to me asking for time off to road trip up to NY just to change some plugs haha! Thanks for all the help folks, I guess this means a tune is in my near future! Random question regarding that (can be moved if necessary) but I heard that LMS won't tune for products that aren't theirs (i.e. my mDesign intake), is that true or is my mind making stuff up?
Not true...intake does NOT need a tune.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sholxgt

I would actually say that is in fact basically true.

LMS will not provide custom tunes based on products that are not theirs.  That being said, you can run their tunes that are based on their products with another companies products.  They just aren't going to guarantee the results or modify the tune if it's necessary.

That all being said, most things don't require a tune at all so it's not something that you need to focus too greatly on.

However, lets say you want a Snow meth kit, full stainless works exhaust, and Mdesign intake, etc.  LMS is not the tuner you want to go with.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

sholxgt

I just want to add that this is fairly normal for companies that put together performance packages using their own mix of parts.  Cobb, APR, etc are the same way.  The tunes are "canned" tunes and need to be based off of known parts.  Therefore, they are based off of the parts they sell.

You can run the "canned" tunes with parts different than the ones they are intended without any problems in most cases, but if there's a compatibility issue, you're on your own.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106