• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Torque PIDs...Take 2

Started by ecoboostsho, June 07, 2014, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larrylu

Quote from: ecoboostsho on August 20, 2014, 09:07:33 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on August 20, 2014, 03:11:40 PM
Quote from: Larrylu on August 20, 2014, 03:06:43 PM
The misfire gauge is interesting to me but that might be a problem in itself. I find a lot of them interesting and so I'm running a lot of gauges. I wonder if there is an upper limit which should be avoided. I also wonder if a gauge that's on a screen that's not being displayed is still adding to the PID load. Got to stop adding gauges. I'm turning into a gauge junkie!
But they look so good, Larry!  Yeah there is a limit to the concurrent PIDs that can be polled, but I think it is about 100 with the the OBDLink, around 30 with the generic ELM adapters, at least on BlueTooth.  Not sure about wireless.
Yes this is absolutely true!  However I would just like to make sure that Larry realizes these are scanned sequentially and if you have 100 PIDS that is probably the Max rating of the MX and its a per second number.  The implication here is that you would only get a reading of a single PID every second.  More than fine for things like temperatures but if you want some degree of resolution on your Knock number then I highly recommend you use as few PIDs as possible so you don't miss events.  This car can throw massive a lot of data on the CAN bus at one time and could overwhelm Torque pretty quickly as we've already proven it isn't the fastest thing in the world.

Now what I don't know is how many it is actually reading at one time...if its just what is on the screen or scanning all of them that are in the list every time.  I do know the gauges don't update unless you are actually viewing them...I'm not positive that means they aren't still reading them in the background.  I do know that if you are actually logging with Torque (I wouldn't bother...its too slow) or you have an "alarm" set up on a PID then it reads them all the time.  So use that sparingly if you do. 

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks guys for the collective thoughts on my questions. Good info!  I was surprised to hear about the "alarm" priority....had no clue on that! 
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

SHOnUup

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 20, 2014, 08:38:12 PM
Um quick dumb question, how bad would it be to start the car with one coil unplugged for a few seconds? That's one sure fire way to get the data we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had this same thought yesterday. Crazy?
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

I would guess the car would set a misfire code and possibly stall, if let run long enough.  One of the scenarios the programmers should have accounted for.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Quote from: SHOdded on August 21, 2014, 10:48:01 AM
I would guess the car would set a misfire code and possibly stall, if let run long enough.  One of the scenarios the programmers should have accounted for.

Back in the day on carbureted cars, used to happen all the time. Plug and wire failures were quite common. I could install one of the older plugs and widen the gap a little. That would also work.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOnUup

^^^that was more along the thought process my simple mind went through yesterday, a tampered with plug.
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ecoboostsho

Did some digging...

Misfire trips - confirmed - 2216dc however the equation is probably (A*256)+B.  It is returning two bytes of data so while just a "B" equation will work it will max out at 255 trips.  If you want to see a higher number than that you will need to use the full equation.

Number of Misfires during recent misfire "event"
PID 220345 (as indicated previously) however the equation is returning 4 bytes of data which means it can use the variables A, B, C, and D.  I was only able to experience a single misfire event in a 45 minute drive and the D variable showed a 1...as did Forscan.  So...and it's a guess at this point...You could probably use (C*256)+D to get you a guage that would read up to 65535 events...which would certainly be sufficient to let you know that you've got a big issue...(in theory you could represent over 4 billion misfire events with all four variables...Pretty sure your car wouldn't be running then.)

All of this was just from Forscan...I haven't verified any of it in Torque yet and probably won't until after work.  If anyone wants to try it out let me know how it goes!

I did find another PID which was "Misfire currently detected" that looked interesting but Forscan interpresets a value of 00080000 as a "No".  Not sure what a yes would look like yet but maybe I can catch one.  The PID is 220700.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ShoBoat

Sweet thanks, I will give that a try today.

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOnUup

Just used new equation on a half hour mixed traffic trip and it shows activity still, no events recorded.

ShoBoat

I"m going to the track tonight, I'll give them a whirl and she what happens.

SHOnUup

On way from driving range, putt putt, and go karts we had the a/c on as ambient was a sticky 85*(IAT2 109*). With a/c on, light throttle on the e-way at 70 was giving a +3 kr! Turn off a/c and kr was complete opposite going right to -3.5? Can the a/c have that much affect?

SHOnUup

And I must not have noticed or it didn't(^) register but after we stopped for slurpees the misfire trips had reset too!!!

Edit: ^(The misfire event must not have registered)

SHOnUup

Had misfire trips start over again today after the wife took car on a 1 mile round trip. She said she didn't see any misfire events record, but when I started it up it was reset?

ShoBoat

Then you are getting misfires enough to trip the reset on the trip. Maybe time to do some data logging with FORScan?

SHOnUup

Need a laptop for FORSCAN right? Weird that I had over 70 trips without a reset until I changed the equation in the misfire events?

SHOnUup

Should the CEL flash when it misfires, so many things to watch at once, ahhhh...lol