• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Torque PIDs...Take 2

Started by ecoboostsho, June 07, 2014, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 17, 2014, 04:29:00 PM

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 17, 2014, 04:07:13 PM
Gauge shows activity with the blinking square but no misfires to report on.

That's a good thing, did you check the other one? Misfire Trips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, will put up next time. As you stated above this will start with a # then take 5 trips to reset?
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

ShoBoat

No, 5 misfires during a drive cycle will cause it to reset. Otherwise it will keep counting. Once a series of misfires occurs it will reset to 0.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOnUup

Ahh, I may be guilty of a little skimming there...lol
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

MSF Trips loaded up...reading 54 as I just started car?

ShoBoat

Quote from: SHOnUup on August 17, 2014, 08:44:58 PM
MSF Trips loaded up...reading 54 as I just started car?

Yup, so you have had 54 drive cycles since a Misfire event, reset codes or battery disconnect.

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOnUup

Thanks for the new gauge ideas. MSF Trips worked fine, adding 1 to running total about 30 seconds after start up.

ShoBoat

It looks like I need a little help with the Misfire Gauge. I can confirm that's it's not working. The Misfire Trips gauge is working correctly, anyone?

ecoboostsho

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 20, 2014, 02:31:03 PM
It looks like I need a little help with the Misfire Gauge. I can confirm that's it's not working. The Misfire Trips gauge is working correctly, anyone?

I'm willing to help once I have a few moments...What is the Forscan PID showing...total number of misfires or per cylinder?  The challenge with this is its best to capture the serial data when actual misfires occur so you can see the binary results.  This is challenging since Misfires occur so quickly...or not at all if everything is running perfect.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Larrylu

The misfire gauge is interesting to me but that might be a problem in itself. I find a lot of them interesting and so I'm running a lot of gauges. I wonder if there is an upper limit which should be avoided. I also wonder if a gauge that's on a screen that's not being displayed is still adding to the PID load. Got to stop adding gauges. I'm turning into a gauge junkie!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

SHOdded

Quote from: Larrylu on August 20, 2014, 03:06:43 PM
The misfire gauge is interesting to me but that might be a problem in itself. I find a lot of them interesting and so I'm running a lot of gauges. I wonder if there is an upper limit which should be avoided. I also wonder if a gauge that's on a screen that's not being displayed is still adding to the PID load. Got to stop adding gauges. I'm turning into a gauge junkie!
But they look so good, Larry!  Yeah there is a limit to the concurrent PIDs that can be polled, but I think it is about 100 with the the OBDLink, around 30 with the generic ELM adapters, at least on BlueTooth.  Not sure about wireless.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Larrylu

Now that's some serious good news. Got some room to add. I will check out the misfire!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ShoBoat

Quote from: ecoboostsho on August 20, 2014, 02:39:37 PM
Quote from: ShoBoat on August 20, 2014, 02:31:03 PM

I'm willing to help once I have a few moments...What is the Forscan PID showing...total number of misfires or per cylinder?  The challenge with this is its best to capture the serial data when actual misfires occur so you can see the binary results.  This is challenging since Misfires occur so quickly...or not at all if everything is running perfect.

The gauge is a running total of misfires during the current drive cycle. It's happened once to twice that I had a few on startup. And when I started FORSCan it registered as 2 as soon as I started the log. So as long as you can get it to report one we should be able to figure it out.

The misfire gauge is more than just interesting! It gives you an insight to how the car is running. Fouled plugs? Gaping incorrect? Bad wire? Oil getting into the intake? You can tell a lot from it.

ShoBoat

Um quick dumb question, how bad would it be to start the car with one coil unplugged for a few seconds? That's one sure fire way to get the data we need.

ecoboostsho

Quote from: SHOdded on August 20, 2014, 03:11:40 PM
Quote from: Larrylu on August 20, 2014, 03:06:43 PM
But they look so good, Larry!  Yeah there is a limit to the concurrent PIDs that can be polled, but I think it is about 100 with the the OBDLink, around 30 with the generic ELM adapters, at least on BlueTooth.  Not sure about wireless.
Yes this is absolutely true!  However I would just like to make sure that Larry realizes these are scanned sequentially and if you have 100 PIDS that is probably the Max rating of the MX and its a per second number.  The implication here is that you would only get a reading of a single PID every second.  More than fine for things like temperatures but if you want some degree of resolution on your Knock number then I highly recommend you use as few PIDs as possible so you don't miss events.  This car can throw massive a lot of data on the CAN bus at one time and could overwhelm Torque pretty quickly as we've already proven it isn't the fastest thing in the world.

Now what I don't know is how many it is actually reading at one time...if its just what is on the screen or scanning all of them that are in the list every time.  I do know the gauges don't update unless you are actually viewing them...I'm not positive that means they aren't still reading them in the background.  I do know that if you are actually logging with Torque (I wouldn't bother...its too slow) or you have an "alarm" set up on a PID then it reads them all the time.  So use that sparingly if you do. 

Just my 2 cents...
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

ecoboostsho

Quote from: ShoBoat on August 20, 2014, 08:38:12 PM
Um quick dumb question, how bad would it be to start the car with one coil unplugged for a few seconds? That's one sure fire way to get the data we need.

I've contemplated this but just can't bring myself to do it...It would obviously be dumping fuel in the cylinder but if you are talking idle I "doubt" it would hurt much but really don't know.  Cars obviously lose coils and plugs all the time so this happens and I doubt you will be rebuilding your motor because of it BUT I'm paranoid. :)