• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Torque PIDs...Take 2

Started by ecoboostsho, June 07, 2014, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millinnium

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 16, 2014, 07:19:21 PM
Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 16, 2014, 06:44:30 PM
I also updated the 1st post quite a bit. I did a cut and paste on some of the info and included page numbers for relevant PID discussions. If you get a chance to look I'm open to feedback on how to improve it!
Won't be able to look until later (busy peeling crap vinyl job from tails...plasti-dip time), but I imagine it will be spot on adding to the holiness of the grail as it be...lol

Hi all, I asked the question in the FORScan Forum (you can look that up in the FORScan forum as its not that big just yet) and even the guy behind FORScan does not know the algorithm. But he did point out for me that the range for the reading is -200% to 200%. So far only the FordST Forum (http://focusst.net/threads/want-to-data-log-or-monitor-your-focus-st-this-is-how.161/) had some mention of the range whereby -1.0 (-100%) = High Octane, and 1.0 (100%) = Low Octane RELATIVE to your car's tuned octane rating. I suspect you should not expect to see 100% consistently, because what i understand is that the car ECU will re-learn the relative octane after acceleration when you decelerate. The other thing to note here is, you should be expecting a close to 0% range when filling your car up with the car's recommended fuel octane. i.e. the car's default tuned Octane.

I also looked into stuff like FoCCCus (a Ford Focus ECU Editor and Reader) to find that even though the car manual and dealer says that the car is designed for 91 Octane Fuel and 10% ethanol blend fuel, the actual ECU setting was 95 Octane! So, I will also caution that finding what the actual fuel octane setting in the car is not a simple matter of asking the dealer or reading the car manual.

For me, this PID is most useful to gauge your fuel octane RELATIVE to what the car is tuned for. For example, my car is tuned for 95 Octane, if I fuel up with good quality 91 Octane Fuel, I see the learned octane % hover around -5% to 50%, with I fill up with so called '94 Octane fuel' (blend fuel with up to 10% ethanol), the learned octane % actually jumps far to the 80% range (indicating lower octane) which makes sense, since the actual fuel IS lower octane, but because it is blended with up to 10% ethanol, it is then claimed 94 Octane. I also note that the LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) will show a reduction in % by up to 2-3% when filling up with 91 Octane fuel versus the so called 94 octane blend of fuel and ethanol.

I hope this helps.

And to make it clear once and for all, the Learned Relative Octane Adjust does not tell you what the octane rating of the fuel. AKA 93% Reading on the PID is NOT 93 Octane. In fact, no one can confirm what the exact algorithm is just yet, other than Cobb Tuning that seem to have figured something out. Wonder if anyone has ties with them that can ask what algorithm they use.

FoMoCoSHO

95 RON is regular unleaded.

The number at the pump is an average of

Research Octane number(RON)

Motor Octane Number(MON)

ecoboostsho

In Australia it looks like 95 is equivalent (roughly) to our 91 octane...?
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

FoMoCoSHO

Without knowing the MON, there is really no way to tell.

From what I've read the 95 usually correlates with regular unleaded.

FoMoCoSHO

I just reset the range to -200 - +200.

Let's see what happens.

ShoBoat

Weird, on FORScan I have never seen a negative number or above 100%. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

FoMoCoSHO

In case you guys didn't know, there is now a Torque add on to extend your display to a 2nd device. I'm gonna go buy another nexus today and try it out.

SHOdded

Where do you plan to mount the device, FoMoCoSHO?  Sidebyside, or toptobottom?  Interested in pix :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Figuring a permanent mount for the tab (not sure where yet) and a secondary vent mount to the right of the wheel for the phone which has been my favorite mount so far. ( and I have tried a bunch, lol )

wasinger3000

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 20, 2014, 03:57:26 PM
Figuring a permanent mount for the tab (not sure where yet) and a secondary vent mount to the right of the wheel for the phone which has been my favorite mount so far. ( and I have tried a bunch, lol )
Where did you get a vent mount? I want one for my note 3.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SHOnUup

Believe I saw vent mounts for Garmin GPS at best buy
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 20, 2014, 04:55:42 PM
Scosche at Walmart

SHOnUup

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 20, 2014, 07:58:55 PM
Scosche at Walmart
That's the brand window mount I got. Like it, pretty solid.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

FoMoCoSHO

I could do 2 vent mounts left and right but after the nonsense I found myself in the middle of last night, I want at least 1 camera able to record.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOnUup on July 20, 2014, 08:00:02 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 20, 2014, 07:58:55 PM
Scosche at Walmart
That's the brand window mount I got. Like it, pretty solid.
Yeah, I was pretty impressed, just don't move or dismount often or they won't last. I'm on #2.