• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Torque PIDs...Take 2

Started by ecoboostsho, June 07, 2014, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalum

The wifi vs bluetooth question is really if you're going to be using apple or android on the other end.  The apple's can't use the bluetooth for some technical rules reason so it needs the wifi.
2013 Non-PP SHO

glock-coma

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 07, 2014, 09:16:47 PM
Anything look wrong with this? For some reason this is the only one that just will not work.
I get a response with this. The % goes up on take off and turns but then goes back to 0% when cruising.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOnUup

Quote from: dalum on July 07, 2014, 10:37:09 PM
The wifi vs bluetooth question is really if you're going to be using apple or android on the other end.  The apple's can't use the bluetooth for some technical rules reason so it needs the wifi.
This must be what I read somewhere that made me wonder. Thanks.
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

wasinger3000

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 07, 2014, 09:26:20 PM
I unfortunately believe the module address is different. Do you have a laptop and Forscan by chance?
I do. What should I look for specifically?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ecoboostsho

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 07, 2014, 11:55:08 PM
Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 07, 2014, 09:26:20 PM
I unfortunately believe the module address is different. Do you have a laptop and Forscan by chance?
I do. What should I look for specifically?
Well it depends on how comfortable you are trying this.  At some point I can hopefully find time to create some screen shots of the whole process.  If you are willing to you can download a free serial port sniffer - I used this one.  http://freeserialanalyzer.com/

It has some limitations (30 minute max session time) but works really well and even sees Bluetooth COM port data.  You basically install that on the same laptop as you have your Scanning Software (Forscan works great).  You start Forscan and connect it to the car.  Then select the AWD PID you are after (and just that PID).  Now before you hit the "start" button in Forscan you want to fire up the serial analyzer and then "connect" to the COM port that Forscan is using (this will vary).  Select "Packet View" and then "start" capturing data.  Switch back to Forscan and then start capturing the PID.  You literally need a couple of seconds of data as it will create a lot of lines in the serial analyzer very quickly.

Now comes the fun part.  Using the serial analyzer you can look at the data captured line by line.  You should see alternating Reads and Writes.  When the scantool is requesting a PID it will always start with "22xxxx" where the xxxx is the actual PID for whatever you were scanning.  The response will always be "62xxxx" which will include the same PID.  The next several bytes include the response from the car and they are always in Hexidecimal.  For the AWD PID you would expect a Zero response and you should see a "00" come back.

For the AWD PID you also need to determine the module address.  If you go back to the very beginning of the lines in the serial analyzer you will see a set of ASCII codes it sends to the car to set up the PIDs it is requesting.  You are looking for a line right a the beginning that includes the following:
STCAFCP761, 726.  In this example the 761 is the module address of the AWD unit in a 2011 Taurus.  726 is the address of the scantool I believe.  If you find this command look for the 3 digits right after the STCAFCP...  That should be the module address you are after.  You take this and plug that 3 digit number in to the "Header" portion of Torque.  Add your PID and equation and you should be good to go.

I know that is a lot of info to digest but it isn't as complicated as it sounds once you get in to it.  The hard part is actually figuring out the equation but I think we've got that already for the AWD PID and I don't see why that would have changed in the 2013+ cars. 

Good luck if you try this! I will help how I can:)

Honestly even if you can capture the data stream from the serial analyzer I will decode it for you.  You can export it to a file from the menu.  PM me and I will set you up with my personal email to look at it.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

wasinger3000

I'll try to tackle this tonight. It doesn't sound to bad. I've done worse hah. It will be interesting to see why my current pid won't work.

Thanks for the detailed how to. I appreciate it!
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

wasinger3000

What should I look for when looking for a PTU signal of some kind?

ecoboostsho

Look at Forscan. Do you have a AWD module? If so check there. If not you will have to try and find it by looking at all the PID s.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

wasinger3000

Ok I have FORScan up and running. Anyone around to help? I found some cool stuff I d like to watch.  Like cylinder acceleration value of each cylinder.

wasinger3000

Interesting how it has airflow trim measurements for both a/c on and a/c off.

Combustion performace counter.

ShoBoat

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 08, 2014, 10:56:32 PM
Interesting how it has airflow trim measurements for both a/c on and a/c off.

Combustion performace counter.

Combustion performance counter? I'll have to check that one out. If you have the MX adapter. You can also do the self checks for each module and perform the adaptions reset. (Kinda like unplugging the battery). Just ensure that you follow the instructions on the screen when doing the maintenance operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

Can't find anything related to the AWD system. Its under the PCM correct?

ShoBoat

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 08, 2014, 11:27:49 PM
Can't find anything related to the AWD system. Its under the PCM correct?
Yes it should, it might be labeled transfer case ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

Can't find anything! So weird. There are hundreds of them but nothing drive related. If someone gets a chance could you get a picture of the actual PID name.

ShoBoat

Quote from: wasinger3000 on July 08, 2014, 11:37:48 PM
Can't find anything! So weird. There are hundreds of them but nothing drive related. If someone gets a chance could you get a picture of the actual PID name.

Here you go.