• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Torque PIDs...Take 2

Started by ecoboostsho, June 07, 2014, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larrylu

So the differential reading would be subtracting the delivered (intake manifold) from the desired (PCM not sensor). Sounds like an interesting reading!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Larrylu

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 02, 2014, 09:21:50 AM
Quote from: ShoBoat on July 02, 2014, 09:11:32 AM
Quote from: Larrylu on July 02, 2014, 09:06:02 AM
What's the difference between desired boost, and throttle inlet pressure?  Not quite seeing the tasks yet. Also is there a difference in readings between the built in boost (Torque) and the custom PID Intake Manifold Pressure?

Great question, desired boost is essentially the same as commanded boost. This is what the PCM is calling for. The throttle inlet pressure is the reading just before the TB and after the CAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep!

Larry - as for any difference between Torque and the MAP sensor I don't know just yet.  I will have to track it for a bit and see.  Actual boost should take in to account the barometric pressure as well (the sensor above probably doesn't).  I don't know if Torque does or not.  Either way it would only change the values slightly unless you live in Denver/mountains etc...

I updated the file on the first page and included a differential pressure gauge for anyone that wants to mess with it.  As long as I didn't typo anything it should be good to go.

OK. I'll check it out. Sounds like fun!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ShoBoat

Yup this one sounds like the most promising. Just the fact that you can tell at a glance is something is wrong with the car sounds really interesting. This might even work for detecting flow restrictions. In my case with the S&B filter or a dirty one?

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

Larrylu

Thanks to this thread and all the effort it represents, the modest project I undertook 2 years ago to run Torque on a dedicated Nexus 7 is still evolving and providing me with new and interesting facets. One of my best toys yet!  Thanks guys!!

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Larrylu on July 02, 2014, 09:39:44 AM
Thanks to this thread and all the effort it represents, the modest project I undertook 2 years ago to run Torque on a dedicated Nexus 7 is still evolving and providing me with new and interesting facets. One of my best toys yet!  Thanks guys!!

Agreed!  It has been fun and I honestly like that we keep finding new things to play with. 
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ecoboostsho

Quote from: Larrylu on July 02, 2014, 09:23:16 AM
So the differential reading would be subtracting the delivered (intake manifold) from the desired (PCM not sensor). Sounds like an interesting reading!

Almost...the only subtle difference is that it is subtracting the delivered pressure BEFORE the throttle plate (not the intake manifold) from the desired (PCM) pressure.  Same concept but intake manifold pressure (i.e. boost gauge pressure) will be lower due to above stated reasons.

If you've got a leaking hose this would show up as a differential pressure loss (number would be positive on the gauge though since it's desired minus actual).  It would be best to baseline your car with known good hoses and then compare it later if you think you have a boost leak to look for differences.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

Larrylu

Here is a find I made a month or so ago through pure blind luck. If I had had a working "Boost Leak" gauge I might have been suspicious enough to look harder sooner.

This O ring has been broken all the time I've had the car as far as I know.  It's located in the "noise maker".

ShoBoat

Quote from: Larrylu on July 02, 2014, 10:59:48 AM
Here is a find I made a month or so ago through pure blind luck. If I had had a working "Boost Leak" gauge I might have been suspicious enough to look harder sooner.

This O ring has been broken all the time I've had the car as far as I know.  It's located in the "noise maker".
That would do it. Good that you found it!

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ecoboostsho

Good you found that!  When I had my turbo going bad the hose on the front turbo was "Porous" according to the dealer and had to be replaced.  I'm not sure how bad it was as I never saw it but I'm pretty sure I had a boost leak as well...this potentially would have helped both situations!

ecoboostsho

Just a heads up that I tweaked the formula's and the file a bit...I am subtracting 14.7 psi (atmospheric barometric pressure) from the pressure sensor equations so Desired boost is actually 0 when you aren't on the throttle. Same for Throttle Inlet.  I also corrected the Intake manifold pressure equation...it's just "A" multiplied by .145 for PSI.  You will get weird numbers when it is a vacuum reading but it should be useful to reference against the Torque Boost gauge.

Larrylu

Can't you stipulate a number greater than 0 as a minimum reading in setting up the PID or in the torque gauge set up?

wasinger3000

I cant get my AWD % to work. All the inputs are correct. Maybe its just not supported on the 13?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ecoboostsho

It could be a different module/address...did you try 761 in the header? If you did then Try leaving it blank or type in auto and see if that works.

wasinger3000

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 04, 2014, 03:42:39 PM
It could be a different module/address...did you try 761 in the header? If you did then Try leaving it blank or type in auto and see if that works.

Yeah i used the header 761. Ill try to use auto. Also is the octane PID supposed to read 100%?

All the others work perfectly and i really appreciate all the work you have done! Very impressive write up! Thank you for your time!
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ecoboostsho

Yes the octane PID should be 100% ideally. I was at 75% for a bit but then switched gas stations and it actually went up to 100...