• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Torque PIDs...Take 2

Started by ecoboostsho, June 07, 2014, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

Quote from: ecoboostsho on June 19, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
That's possible. I made a custom PID for my previous example. That said I can easily get you the PID for IAT and you can create one with a different long name.

Also the transfer case PID didn't work on my 2011...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately pre 2013 SHOs are lacking the PTU temp sensor,

2011 PTU

2013 PTU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ecoboostsho

No go on the ambient temp...the PID is 229924 but it is in the HVAC module on the 2010-2012 so I can't get to it on the MSCAN bus with Torque...
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Larrylu

Too bad. Torque offers a built in Ambient. Do they have another way of accessing it?  Don't think we can "edit" the stock PID's.  Like we can't rename it.  I guess the closest that I can come is with your PID for IAT then. Depending on conditions IAT is 5 to 30 degrees warmer than ambient. What do you think about compensating for the average warmness of the IAT in the formula. Like adding a 15 degree factor. Bad idea??
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ecoboostsho

I haven't completely given up yet. I know how to connect to the MSCAN bus via a serial terminal...if Torque can grab it elsewhere we should be able to....

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

Larrylu

I don't know if this is any help, but I have an ambient temp display above the NAV screen and I always wondered why that value was slightly different from the ambient Torque displays. Made me wonder if there were two ambient sensors. A bit strange in any case. Maybe one is HVAC and one is .....somewhere else?
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

FoMoCoSHO

I'm pretty sure that temp sensor is on cooler equipped PP and PI models only.

ShoBoat

Quote from: Larrylu on June 20, 2014, 07:16:32 PM
I don't know if this is any help, but I have an ambient temp display above the NAV screen and I always wondered why that value was slightly different from the ambient Torque displays. Made me wonder if there were two ambient sensors. A bit strange in any case. Maybe one is HVAC and one is .....somewhere else?

I have noticed the same thing, 2 different readings between torque and the dash reading.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

millinnium

Quote from: ShoBoat on June 21, 2014, 07:35:46 AM

Quote from: Larrylu on June 20, 2014, 07:16:32 PM

I have noticed the same thing, 2 different readings between torque and the dash reading.

If you have ambient reading on your screen, that means there is a pid for it. Also the reading will be a bit off between torque and the car screen display because the ecu is averaging it out like your fuel gauge. (that is what I suspect at least) I have got equal readings on temperature stable days for both the car display screen and torque, and have since significant ambient temperature change taking awhile to register on the car display.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Larrylu

Interesting theory about the averaging. New thought for me. I can see the benefit of averaging on the fuel, but so far not seeing an intended purpose for averaging the ambient though.

ecoboostsho

He may be on to something...I am sure the outside temp would vary wildly once you are stopped etc. Since its only sending the temp for our viewing pleasure (I.e. the car is using the IAT sensors) it very well could be doing that to keep the outside temp going up 10-20 degrees just because you are at a light...interesting.

Larrylu

Yep that makes sense..by averaging it would slow and smooth temp transitions.

ecoboostsho

Ok I think I've got it.  Torque is just using the internal PID (standard) for ambient.  I didn't know there was one to be honest.  It's just [46]...

So...just create a new custom PID and leave the PID field blank.  Name it something you can remember like "Ambient".  The in the equation field put [46]...if you want Deg. F then use:

[46]*1.8+32

It should give you the value you are after.  You could then create another custom PID and subtract the IAT2 or CAC temp from ambient (or vice versa) to get the delta and monitor that all day long.

I haven't had time to test the whole thing so let me know if it works!

Larrylu

Thanks bud. I will try tonight. I know the -32 is for degrees F but what is the *1.8 for?

ecoboostsho

Also for degrees F. You take your answer and multiply by 9/5 (or 1.8) and add 32.

Larrylu

Success I now have a display for Heat Soak. I did have to dink with the formula before I got it to work so you may want to modify your post....or correct me if I'm wrong, but I needed to do this before it would work to give me my ambient

([46]*1.8)+32

Then I just did as you instructed to create the "calculator PID", put both both air temps into it and subtract ambient from IAT2, and voila...total heat gain from ambient to intake manifold. Got to ride with that for a few days to get a sense of readings of open road, idle, city traffic and do on. I think it might be a useful gauge. Thank ecoboostsho for the roadmap all the way!